Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Delusions

Because, regarding religion, you are told taht there's an invisible man etc.
    Whereas 30 ft tall monkey that'e next to you, well, you see it and you know it's next to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipatama View Post
    Because, regarding religion, you are told taht there's an invisible man etc.
    Whereas 30 ft tall monkey that'e next to you, well, you see it and you know it's next to you.
    What if I just believe it's next to me, but don't see it or hear it?

What if I do see it, but what if I just tell my child it's next to him/her? Am I delusional for starting it, but the child is _not_ delusional because they were simply told it? If so, wouldn't that mean the first religious person was delusional?
    Last edited by Abaratican; 05-18-2012 at 14:58.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exevos View Post
    nacitar has never used any (to my knowledge) exploit maneuvers, glitches, and/or bugs... He has always been adamant in his ways, ... having been totally legit since launch, a feat many of us have failed.

I agree, "everything came from nothing" makes more sense than a "the universe was created by a creator", and belief in said creator is the intellectual equivalent of believing in a 30 ft invisible gorilla beside you.

Also, Freud was a genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    Unless you assume a God, the question of life’s purpose is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrogenium View Post
    In the second case you clearly have no evidence of the magical man (you CANNOT see it) but chose to believe it exists
    Not counting the existence of, well, everything, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokstarr View Post
    I agree, "everything came from nothing" makes more sense than a "the universe was created by a creator", and belief in said creator is the intellectual equivalent of believing in a 30 ft invisible gorilla beside you.

Also, Freud was a genius.

I've argued with jedicake extensively on a prior occasion that "everything came from nothing" is just as nonsensical as "the universe was created by a creator".

Furthermore, I've argued that asserting the non-existence of a god is just as much "faith" as asserting the existence of a god, as both are unknowable.

Lastly, I've argued that neither science nor religion explain the origin of the universe; they both end with some initial state that still has the question "Where did that come from?".

I'm agnostic, neither atheist or theist, as background here.

Furthermore, Freud was proven rather blatantly wrong in very many areas by modern psychology, but not on everything.

Wasn't sure, but your post came across as if it could have been a "he's an atheist, so I'm going to point out how he's just as stupid... and Freud was a crackpot (like many think in certain areas of psychology) so let's take a stab at that sarcastically". Might have been serious too, though. Anyway, background information nonetheless.
    nacitar has never used any (to my knowledge) exploit maneuvers, glitches, and/or bugs... He has always been adamant in his ways, ... having been totally legit since launch, a feat many of us have failed.

I'm going to start the church of the Fonz.

Quote Originally Posted by Abaratican View Post
    they both end with some initial state that still has the question "Where did that come from?".

Might have been serious too, though.
    Nay; everything in the knowable universe has a tangible beginning and creator (whether god created it directly, or a fire was created by a match, for example). God, existing independently of the universe, requires no such creator or beginning, as He is not bound by the rules of the universe. While such a question might be interesting to pontificate on, it is not a refutation of the 'know-ability' of God, as it is based on a false premise.

As to the second point, my post was entirely sarcastic. And not directed specifically at you, I might add.

Let me try it without the sarcasm, if you will: Freud was a farking delusional, coke head, moron who mastered the art of bullshit.
    Last edited by Rokstarr; 05-18-2012 at 15:16.

As to the second point, my post was entirely sarcastic. And not directed specifically at you, I might add.

Let me try it without the sarcasm, if you will: Freud was a farking delusional, coke head, moron who mastered the art of bullshit.
    That's how I took your post, so hooray for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Abaratican View Post
    I've argued with jedicake extensively on a prior occasion that "everything came from nothing" is just as nonsensical as "the universe was created by a creator".
    I'd like to touch on this point as well.

The second is certainly not as nonsensical as the first. Everything we observe in the universe has a creator of sorts. It's is the more logical assumption to believe that the universe came from something, as opposed to nothing.

I'd like to touch on this point as well.

The second is certainly not as nonsensical as the first. Everything we observe in the universe has a creator of sorts. It's is the more logical assumption to believe that the universe came from something, as opposed to nothing.
    Not when that something's existence is proven by nothing; it in effect becomes the same thing. You just gave nothing a little sailor hat to wear and call it God.
    Last edited by Abaratican; 05-18-2012 at 15:21.

Default i miss u nacitar

all questions were once spiritual.

since the beginning of time, spirituality and religion have been called on to fill in the gaps that science did not understand.

the rising and setting of the sun was once attributed to helios and a flaming chariot. earthquakes and tidal waves were the wrath of poseidon. science has now proven those gods to be false idols. soon all gods will be proven to be false idols. science has now provided answers to almost every question man can ask. there are only a few questions left. and they are the esoteric ones. where do we come from? what are we doing here? what is the meaning of life and the universes?

only the illuminati knows

some people proclaim that science did not undermine the existence of god, but rather reinforced it. science and religion were not enemies, but rather allies - two different languages telling the same story, a story of symmetry and balance.. heaven and hell, night and day, hot and cold, god and satan. both science and religion rejoiced in god's symmetry... the endless contest of light and dark.

only the illuminati knows

i've personally found out, never quote freud if you want to pass your classes.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Easy View Post
    i've personally found out, never quote freud if you want to pass your classes.
    It depends upon the quote, but as a rule of thumb you should avoid it.

Banned

The "god" you worship made us as an experiment. Is not in the form of a human. Jesus was not born to a virgin mother. Amen

Some people are too far mentally gone into this religion thing. Religion states that even thinking about questioning it is a mortal sin.

It also provides many "verified" proofs of existence of God. It does not take much for them to reinforce their faith when you are wired to think a certain way.

One thing that I think "atheists" should not be doing is the same thing religious people have been doing for ages. It is going on witch hunt and trying to convert people to your own beliefs. That is hypocrisy.

We really do not know if there is something that qualifies as "God". One group of people just believes in something without any actual "logical" evidence and the other group does not. We still have much to learn. Hopefully we will figure out what we are and how we came to be here.