Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Normal User

Default Darkfall grief but where's my

Griefing is great in Darkfall, however one of the greatest holes in the game is thievery, where is it? Why isn't it there? [yes this should probably be in suggestions but I can't post there.]
    I realise it would piss so many people off, but then again if someone wanted something they wouldn't necessarily have to murder another player - THATS A POSITIVE surely?
    Quote Originally Posted by Falokis
    If you aren't grinding, you must be dying faster and more often than all the children in Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaratos
    I was gonna focus, I suddenly get really sick, cant study at all. All I can do is play some darkfall to ease the pain. I am a degenerate.

Quote Originally Posted by SphereOfDeath View Post
    Griefing is great in Darkfall
    Highly debatable.

Normal User EU1 Player

Thievery should be in game. The question is how to implement it so it becomes a natural part of the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrDfagV6wMU

Thieving done the right way. What is beautiful about Darkfall is that the game is not where you click a button to do what you want. You don't click "hide" to hide. You get behind a bush, stay out of line of sight and don't make noise.

Thieving is in game, be creative and figure out how to steal.
    wat
    skreww L00se - Zealot / Black Shields
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim Mok View Post
    You steam rolled a weaker alliance, and took some pixels you guys are really good.
    How can anyone beat the zerg you guys are rolling around with?
    Have fun nut cupping 100+ players.

If they wanted to add thieving.

They could simply allow you to see and loot a persons inventory before ganking them. So you incapacitate, take what you wanted, then ress or in DF2... just leave them and they would self rez.

Thieving is stupid and not suitable for a competetive PvP game like Darkfall.

If you want something, you gotta kill the dude to get it. That's how it works.

Adding some stealth-pickpocket ability would ruin everything.
    S  U  N    |    s a c c a d e    n e o s

Quote Originally Posted by screw loose View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrDfagV6wMU

Thieving done the right way. What is beautiful about Darkfall is that the game is not where you click a button to do what you want. You don't click "hide" to hide. You get behind a bush, stay out of line of sight and don't make noise.

Thieving is in game, be creative and figure out how to steal.
    Play to Crush.

Normal User EU1 Player

You guys are right. Thieving is in game.
    But how about pick pocketing?

Pick pocketing could be an alternative lifestyle to PvP. No reason why this game can't be more than just PvP.
    Last edited by drobole; 04-25-2012 at 13:21.

18,000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by drobole View Post

Pick pocketing could be an alternative lifestyle to PvP. No reason why this game can't be more than just PvP.

There are 2 main problems with thieving:

1) Making it player skill based instead of a dice roll in an interface
    2) Fixing the alignment so a player can attack and kill a thief without becoming evil

Uzik ibnYaraq (in game name, always willing to help)

My latest SONG and my latest VIDEO.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin/videos
    http://absogaming.forumotion.com/forum

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by drobole View Post

where would you pick pocket though? No one is in NPC cities. If you show up to a player city the towers and system messages alert everyone so it's not like you can be very sneaky there. Out in the wild people are usually moving around and would likely notice you since the "darkness" is not very dark anyway.

just wondering where you see opportunities to use a feature like this?

Normal User

There is another FPS MMORPG out there that implemented thievery... It's not the most interesting or involved systems, but I'm not sure how else it could really be implemented in a FPS.

Basically, you get a skill that you would toss on your hot-bar for "snooping" which when successfully used within range brings up a window showing the mark's backpack contents.. then, you use a "pilfering" skill to bring up a target cursor which you can use to target the item you will attempt to steal.

In that other MMO, you have a chance of flagging grey only to the person you stole from or a chance to flag grey to everyone. DFO already has the flag system in place as well as towers that can hit the global grey flags.. DFO has the skill system and interface which should allow this sort of implementation to be integrated without appearing to be an impossible coding task.

The "stealth" element is up to the player to sneak around, walk slowly, crouch and whatnot so they do not bring attention to themselves when approaching a mark. Key locations would be cities, banks and vendors, though.. so I'm not sure (outside of the occasional lucky afk'r at a spawn or something) that it could be used for anything other than griefing (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

The biggest problem, though, is the lack of skill cap - since there is no skill cap everybody could (and would) be a "thief" and it wouldn't really add much content/play-style wise in the long run (IMO).

Wyndal Smythe [VAMP]

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndal View Post
    There is another FPS MMORPG out there that implemented thievery... It's not the most interesting or involved systems, but I'm not sure how else it could really be implemented in a FPS.

Basically, you get a skill that you would toss on your hot-bar for "snooping" which when successfully used within range brings up a window showing the mark's backpack contents.. then, you use a "pilfering" skill to bring up a target cursor which you can use to target the item you will attempt to steal.

In that other MMO, you have a chance of flagging grey only to the person you stole from or a chance to flag grey to everyone. DFO already has the flag system in place as well as towers that can hit the global grey flags.. DFO has the skill system and interface which should allow this sort of implementation to be integrated without appearing to be an impossible coding task.

The "stealth" element is up to the player to sneak around, walk slowly, crouch and whatnot so they do not bring attention to themselves when approaching a mark. Key locations would be cities, banks and vendors, though.. so I'm not sure (outside of the occasional lucky afk'r at a spawn or something) that it could be used for anything other than griefing (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

The biggest problem, though, is the lack of skill cap - since there is no skill cap everybody could (and would) be a "thief" and it wouldn't really add much content/play-style wise in the long run (IMO).

You're talking about Ultima, just go on ahead and say it. Don't need to call it "A" game because it was "THE" game. Best game ever, still is, I play it to this day on the IPY shard.
    Beauty may only be skin deep,but ugly is to the bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Khumash-Gor View Post
    Im gay.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by wowsux View Post
    You're talking about Ultima, just go on ahead and say it. Don't need to call it "A" game because it was "THE" game. Best game ever, still is, I play it to this day on the IPY shard.
    Actually, I was not talking about Ultima... (DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN.......)

Ultima's thief system was more involved and flexible than I think can be adopted in a FPS style MMO, although I could be wrong.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I totally agree about the awesomeness of Ultima...and I also play it in the reincarnation of the shard you mentioned.
    Last edited by Wyndal; 04-25-2012 at 21:33.

Wyndal Smythe [VAMP]

Quote Originally Posted by Theodus View Post
    Thieving is stupid and not suitable for a competetive PvP game like Darkfall.

If you want something, you gotta kill the dude to get it. That's how it works.

Adding some stealth-pickpocket ability would ruin everything.
    Or just don't stand around afk like a dumbass. If you are too dim to not catch someone trying to pick pocket you, then it is your own fault. Honestly it should be in the game, just give it a cast time, to open their inv and look at it, and a cast time to retrieve the item from theirs, but they must stay within range of you the entire time. For christ's sake this game has third person view. If they can pull off stealing in MO they can pull it off in DF 10 times better.

If a character has a stolen item in their inventory, they are grey until it is no longer in their inventory. If someone other than the original owner loots the item off the thieves corpse they go grey as well, just mark stolen items with an S on the item or something.

Get rid of system messages alerting people of those going into their city. Have a bell or something that can be rung just in case someone spots them and people aren't noticing chat. Alerting those in the vicinity. Crouching in sneak should reduce the range at which towers can hit you. Done. All of this would fix already broken mechanics and give us thieving. Win. Win.
    Last edited by hyperion_x91; 04-27-2012 at 09:34.
    Noob tears are by far the sweetest...