2000+

Exclamation Update April 20th

Found in the News section here:
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/sho...wpost&t=316312

No major news though: Blog is down (for upgrading), Korean affairs proceeding, Rare Ore Infused Materials still in the project description.

Nice little discussion about the new Resource Gathering philosophy though, that is interesting and adds a bit of flavour and news.

Even though I ask myself why they don't just give us the "Infused Materials" ready-refined as Rare Ebenholts Woods, Exquisite Silk Cloth, Dragon Leather and so on (building on the "Enchantment Material System" with Ranked Resource Units instead), as the "Infusing" of all materials with Ore (as well as make weapons and armour out of Ingots of it in Ranks based on metal instead of Ingot units used with differentiation of Resistances and such for different metals instead) is immersionbreaking, risky for the Economy (hard-balanced and demand-increasing by exponential levels of higher Ranks of Ore) as well as Grindy (as gathering Rare Ores will become more of an industry than an adventure, as well as adding another stage in production by the Infusion process.).
    Last edited by Lord Zeb; 04-23-2012 at 10:14.
    And furthermore: Fix the Alignment & Race Wars, put in Vendors even Newbs can sell stuff from, improve the GUI and put in Momentum in combat (“Headless-chicken” & “Bunnyjumpshooting” people are silly), and a LOT of players will return.

Is there already a discussion thread for this?

Personally I hate the monoliths and anything else that just feeds you resources without having to gather them, not a fan of villages having rare materials either. Is it so bad for PvPers to buy materials from people that want to play Crafters?

imo they need to change the mining system from mining a few shiny rocks to mining a rocky wall, UO style, where you'll find veins of rare ore that are limited and once used up force you to keep exploring to find more, have the rare veins respawn randomly after a few days. Heck, you might even give the materials some random stats(SWG style) that increase a something on the weapon, like increased durability or a little extra damage/armor penetration that comes with the cost of weighing more or something.

Mining could work similar to the shovel system, where you just target any old ground, except in this case, it would have to be rocky hills/areas.
    Why have infused wood when you can just have different types of wood? etc.

It would just be nice if dedicated crafters were just as important to the game as combat skills. Crafting needs more depth to allow dedication. Having a crafting alt sitting around in a city should not compare to someone that goes out of their way to be the best at what they do.

So yeah, dump the static mine locations and the resource vending machines completely in favor of a more sandboxy system. Screw the free hand out "gold star" award system.

The gathering system is a step in the right direction, but i feel AV is still too hesitant; why do they insist on tampering with the drop chances of rare ore, instead of changing the resource nodes alltogether depending on location? For example, lets say Theyril ore can only be mined from Theryil nodes which are found in x,z places on the map (and would be a perfect pvp hotspot). Also, regional economies would develop from this approach.

Having a smaller chance to receive a rare ore from casual nodes near NPC zones is a half-baked solution.

I would like the ENTIRE map of Darkfall to be as diverse in terms of resource allocation as possible. Give me a reason to travel to Yssam other than the dragon (which cannot be solo'ed). Right now, a trip from Rubayiat to Yssam is completely pointless. If, say, Yssam had a rare variety of wood, used in bows and ships, I would make the trip just for the resources.

Won't they put rare seedwood nodes out in the wild?
    http://i.imgur.com/vSFvJ.png

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by CorDox View Post
    Is there already a discussion thread for this?

Personally I hate the monoliths and anything else that just feeds you resources without having to gather them, not a fan of villages having rare materials either. Is it so bad for PvPers to buy materials from people that want to play Crafters?

imo they need to change the mining system from mining a few shiny rocks to mining a rocky wall, UO style, where you'll find veins of rare ore that are limited and once used up force you to keep exploring to find more, have the rare veins respawn randomly after a few days. Heck, you might even give the materials some random stats(SWG style) that increase a something on the weapon, like increased durability or a little extra damage/armor penetration that comes with the cost of weighing more or something.

Mining could work similar to the shovel system, where you just target any old ground, except in this case, it would have to be rocky hills/areas.
    Why have infused wood when you can just have different types of wood? etc.

It would just be nice if dedicated crafters were just as important to the game as combat skills. Crafting needs more depth to allow dedication. Having a crafting alt sitting around in a city should not compare to someone that goes out of their way to be the best at what they do.

So yeah, dump the static mine locations and the resource vending machines completely in favor of a more sandboxy system. Screw the free hand out "gold star" award system.
    I like your idea.

Yeah. Not sure if its worth saying anything more, because the old system has always been total shit. Utterly uninspired and uninteresting.

One of my irl friends still regails me with tales of how he mined the ancient wyrm spawn in UO. I would say "but why, you only got iron" but he didnt care.

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by Galadourn View Post
    Having a smaller chance to receive a rare ore from casual nodes near NPC zones is a half-baked solution.
    Yeah, the nodes should give less resources and no rares at all if it's within tower range. And I don't think that's even enough to get people to stop botting the nodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Won't they put rare seedwood nodes out in the wild?
    No more rare wood.

I'm not a fan of there being wildy different value nodes around the world as there would be if you made special nodes for rare ore, since the nodes are static (and regenerates fully every day) and a few players could just empty them once the server opens, maybe even teloport-hack their way to them. For that to really work, they should randomize what type each node is every time the server reboots. Introducing it would be a lot of work and would ruin all they just did in changing drop rates.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

2000+

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Weeking View Post
    Yeah, the nodes should give less resources and no rares at all if it's within tower range. And I don't think that's even enough to get people to stop botting the nodes.

No more rare wood.

I'm not a fan of there being wildy different value nodes around the world as there would be if you made special nodes for rare ore, since the nodes are static (and regenerates fully every day) and a few players could just empty them once the server opens, maybe even teloport-hack their way to them. For that to really work, they should randomize what type each node is every time the server reboots. Introducing it would be a lot of work and would ruin all they just did in changing drop rates.
    Honestly, there should be NO Resource Spawns within city walls at all. Ridiculous to see people chopping away at trees in the cities.

As for Rare Woods, that do not need to be that hard to get. You simply have to get really far from the cities (travelling is a danger), perhaps into dangerous territory (Rare Woods maybe even being guarded by Mobs), and if you cannot teleport while Overloaded, and you reduce the Load you are allowed to carry, then we got game!

As for Teleport-hacks... well, then those spots would be a nice spot to guard for cheaters to ban.

Also, one could do one thing more: Instead of having Rare Drops on Random base (which merely is a Grind), one could have Rare Vein Respawns! If you are lucky to find a good Vein, then you are in business! And after depleting it, it shouldn't be likely to be found at the same spawn point! Then Nodes would NOT be static.

This would also be more Immersive (instead of seeing "Iron Spawn" over a stone, you see "Mining spot") as well as a good reason to get in a "Prospecting" skill. The better you are at it, the faster it takes to determine what kind of spawn you got at this re-spawn.

Resources can also be randomised by simply give each area a different "Loot table", such as a Mining Spot in Rubiyat having Stone, Iron (of differing quality) and Neithal Ore on it's list, and rolling a different Spawn chance of each type each time it respawns. An entire area that is supposed to be rich in one type of Rare Ore will then not automatically yield loads of it just because you go to a stone and start hacking!

And this should of course be a different system than the "Resource PvP Objective" mines and generators out there.
    And furthermore: Fix the Alignment & Race Wars, put in Vendors even Newbs can sell stuff from, improve the GUI and put in Momentum in combat (“Headless-chicken” & “Bunnyjumpshooting” people are silly), and a LOT of players will return.

Normal User

I dont want to start new thread but IMO housing system is pretty bad, best housing system - was in Ultima Online. That housing system can force people to play how do they want, not limit them to sit in villages etc. Also something like market place for vendoring without ground exit to deny pvp outside the walls and put guards or something. Those are only my thoughts and if you all, guys, are against - its ok. Im just thinking how to make this game more entertaining. Shooting when jumping is pretty nonrealistic and should be fixed. Thank you.

P.S If this game is realistic prio Im kinda confused why skeletons run and kite, and stuff =)
    Last edited by George92; 04-26-2012 at 12:24.