Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
  1. #16
    3000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emolas View Post
    Honestly, just another hissyfit from conservatives (or libertarians as they like to brand themselves) with no grasp on reality.
    Food served in soup kitchens run by the government is the their responsibility. They can't just serve any old homebrew which is potentially bad or even harmful. If you want to donate, donate money. Or give it to the homeless personally. Nobody is stopping you.
    it is kind of insulting to people to tell them their food is no good, especially when they probably put a lot of effort into making it, to help out people supposedly in need. I mean you show up with a tray of simple lasagna and it's rejected? cmon it's fucking lasagna.

    Although the fact is that home donations really aren't needed. Just about anywhere in north america, there are zero people going hungry, there food surpluses, and there are extensive networks of kitchens and shelters to distribute to homeless.

  2. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,582

    Default

    Bloomberg's policies have been in general socially liberal but with the tinge of conservative fucktardedness. Don't forget he was originally a Republican mayor, though a democrat non-elect earlier.

    If anyone remembers his earlier plan of banning homeless people and shipping them to upstate New York, causing a fuckton of resentment from there, this is just a continuation of his war.

    Anyways, speaking of this contradictory liberal politics, one must make the distinction between between Americanized liberals and working-class socialists. The latter arose as a reaction against working conditions, the former from Enlightenment ideology. Whereas one defines democrats and Obama, the other use to be the Democrats, and were defined by unionized and intellectual puritanical Protestants and the Catholic-Jewish immigrants of the early 1900s.

    The United States use to be strongly socially-minded, strongly of the grit and honor working class socialism. It was the ticket that Roosevelt did to stay in power by appealing to working class socialists, and it was how Eisenhower and the Republicans edged into power through his appeal to unions.

    This same attitude was also why Democrats held the south until the civil rights era, since voters also tended to vote against the elitist Northerners as much as the working class Northerners did.

    Liberal politics came out of the suffrage movement and other progressive movements. Don't forget that progressives were fundamentally socially minded, since Ted Roosevelt was a progressive despite being zealously for war and for his corporate backers. Probably the slight majority segment of progressives took on the cause of the working class, hence became liberals. The ones who didn't became somewhat libertarian.

    This is exactly why we see the attitude of "elitist liberals" and why Glenn Beck rails against some "progressive conspiracy" though his audience is of a general working class background. Reagan and gang were the first to mend the culturally conservative unionized/socialist working-class with the Republicans since most of them were getting gutted by America's deindustrialization and attack on labour. They were pretty much desperate and if you look at their attitudes, most people did not support Reagan economic policies, but sympathized with his anti-elitist rhetoric and culturally-similar values.

  3. #18
    10,000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emolas View Post
    Honestly, just another hissyfit from conservatives (or libertarians as they like to brand themselves) with no grasp on reality.
    Food served in soup kitchens run by the government is the their responsibility. They can't just serve any old homebrew which is potentially bad or even harmful. If you want to donate, donate money. Or give it to the homeless personally. Nobody is stopping you.

    Priceless
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
    If 3/4 of all the money spent on defense was diverted into education funds, public school would be dirt cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Sparrow View Post
    99% of human resource offices are paid for by grants (non-tax dollars).

  4. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krag View Post
    it is kind of insulting to people to tell them their food is no good, especially when they probably put a lot of effort into making it, to help out people supposedly in need. I mean you show up with a tray of simple lasagna and it's rejected? cmon it's fucking lasagna.

    Although the fact is that home donations really aren't needed. Just about anywhere in north america, there are zero people going hungry, there food surpluses, and there are extensive networks of kitchens and shelters to distribute to homeless.
    Oh no, we wouldn't want people's feelings to be hurt. And how dare they refuse to distribute your home-made food through a government institution.


    Get shit on. And the government dealing your food is no more libertarian than refusing to, so you can stick this topic up your ass.
    Last edited by Emolas; 03-23-2012 at 00:28.

  5. #20
    11,000+ Death's Chill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emolas View Post
    You can donate money to shelters. Or still just give it to them yourself.
    For once I entirely agree with you Emolas.

    I don't trust businesses or large entities, I won't give them my money. I will give it directly to the people I want to help. Besides, it feels so much better to see their reaction in person to being helped. Why would you want to give it to a food bank?


    Yummy.

  6. #21
    5000+
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Scotland & Norway
    Posts
    5,474

    Default

    Finally someone found a final solution to poverty!
    Old UO RP'er who misses CoY and ERPA.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beeblebrox View Post
    Come on, mate, you'll have better luck converting people door to door. Our souls are already marching to the eternal fire, we are forever tainted by too much internet porn and grand theft auto.

  7. #22

    Default

    no seriously.... this is how you feed the homeless


    http://www.wimp.com/feedhomeless/


    ez peasy... imagine instead of them making americans get more fat by selling it to overweight people, instead they could use all the mcdonalds to give free food to homeless people to curb healthcare costs for insured fat, overweight citizens (since they wouldnt get to eat mcdonalds anymore, it'd be illegal)

    then they would have underground sting operations of mcdonalds food

    what a perfect utopia

  8. #23
    3000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emolas View Post
    Oh no, we wouldn't want people's feelings to be hurt. And how dare they refuse to distribute your home-made food through a government institution.


    Get shit on. And the government dealing your food is no more libertarian than refusing to, so you can stick this topic up your ass.
    Why so angry? Having a bad day? Wanna talk about it?
    Last edited by Krag; 03-23-2012 at 14:28.

  9. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weeking View Post
    Bloomberg is just being smart. Lots of people might want to poison the homeless and giving away food would be a good way to do it.
    Do you honestly think that people who want to poison homeless need to be encouraged to do so?
    Are you one of those people that believes in rainbow parties, bracelet-breaking and every other scare-of-the-month thing?
    Wisdom Of Bots
    1, then tired, do not forget to smile; be anxious, but also pay attention to tone; no matter how tough, do not forget to adhere to; No matter how tired, but also love yourself.
    But we are jet modified and not faint-hearted of difficulties

  10. #25
    4000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tempe, Arizona
    Posts
    4,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    For once I entirely agree with you Emolas.

    I don't trust businesses or large entities, I won't give them my money. I will give it directly to the people I want to help. Besides, it feels so much better to see their reaction in person to being helped. Why would you want to give it to a food bank?
    Because the food bank won't spend it on crack.
    What will an attack from Russia look like?



    Quote Originally Posted by Caffy View Post
    palo god saved my cock!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •