Page 1 of 15 1211 ... LastLast
    12,000+

Default Intelectual property is nonsensical concept.

The reason why we have private property and the reason why it is fiercely defended is because private property is scarce. The system we developed is made to reduce conflict in society. People can only acquire property by either creating it from unclaimed resources or trading the ownership from one person to another.

So "intellectual property" does not have these constrains. Once it comes into existence it can be copied to infinity and without any cost to it. What is more the original producer does not lose the property it self. As such it is not a scarce good. It should not be given the same protections as real goods.

The fact that original producer may not be able to get a certain income he desires or to recoup his costs is not a concern of society. He took a risk when producing the property that he may not be able to recoup the costs and he should bear it.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"

Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

10,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    The reason why we have private property and the reason why it is fiercely defended is because private property is scarce. The system we developed is made to reduce conflict in society. People can only acquire property by either creating it from unclaimed resources or trading the ownership from one person to another.

So "intellectual property" does not have these constrains. Once it comes into existence it can be copied to infinity and without any cost to it. What is more the original producer does not lose the property it self. As such it is not a scarce good. It should not be given the same protections as real goods.

The fact that original producer may not be able to get a certain income he desires or to recoup his costs is not a concern of society. He took a risk when producing the property that he may not be able to recoup the costs and he should bear it.
    Its a concern to society when the person cant produce works of art, books, music or movies and get paid for his contributions. Without that person making it, it wont exist. Since they are the people who made it, it is their property. If that person cant be compensated for their time, effort and idea they will no longer produce in that medium and then you will have nothing to steal.

I am sorry but you are wrong.

Congratulations, you just wiped out the entire basis of capitalism.
    Last edited by Emolas; 01-31-2012 at 21:56.

I think we'd see way less medicore stuff if the copyright laws were less strict. They'd be forced to make a better product to sell.

10,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyhat View Post
    I think we'd see way less medicore stuff if the copyright laws were less strict. They'd be forced to make a better product to sell.
    They would be forced to make a better product to sell if dumb fucks such as yourself would stop buying the bullshit that they are trying to sell you. There is a reason why the Waynes Brothers keep making movies, because you morons keep going to see them.

If you dont pay they are forced to produce higher quality or go out of business.

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by [LoD] EE View Post
    If that person cant be compensated for their time, effort and idea they will no longer produce in that medium and then you will have nothing to steal.

You'd still have everything already made, everything which would otherwise be made in the public domain plus a shitload of stuff that people would make for public domain because the sudden lack of competition in new material would mean they could get an audience (and make money by becoming famous, product placement and merchandising especially if trademarks are still protected) and also stuff that can't be made/distributed legally now because it's derivative of protected works or characters in some way.
    Last edited by Weeking; 01-31-2012 at 22:05.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

They would be forced to make a better product to sell if dumb fucks such as yourself would stop buying the bullshit that they are trying to sell you. There is a reason why the Waynes Brothers keep making movies, because you morons keep going to see them.

If you dont pay they are forced to produce higher quality or go out of business.
    Who's movies? Anywho, you can't change how people are. But you can change the laws.

Actually, it's cheaper copy products that usually makes the higher quality one go out of business.

Just look at the medical industry.
    Last edited by Emolas; 01-31-2012 at 22:05.

Banned

Every scientists throughout history should have copyrighted their findings. Would be fun to see how far that would have gotten us, had such ideas been on a pay to use basis.

12,000+

Its a concern to society when the person cant produce works of art, books, music or movies and get paid for his contributions. Without that person making it, it wont exist. Since they are the people who made it, it is their property. If that person cant be compensated for their time, effort and idea they will no longer produce in that medium and then you will have nothing to steal.

If that is the price so be it. I hardly think that will be the outcome.

Morally you have no argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Emolas View Post
    Congratulations, you just wiped out the entire basis of capitalism.
    Capitalism deals with private property. I am talking about the concept of intellectual property.

Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    Every scientists throughout history should have copyrighted their findings. Would be fun to see how far that would have gotten us, had such ideas been on a pay to use basis.
    You can only hold on to a patent for a limited time.

Edit: Capitalism postulates that people develop things for a monetary gain. If development is not profitable in itself, then, as per capitalism, nothing will be developed.
    Last edited by Emolas; 01-31-2012 at 22:14.

12,000+

Shouldn't have patents.

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post

Capitalism deals with private property. I am talking about the concept of intellectual property.
    Anything that comes out of your head is inherently yours. It falls into the definition of private property. If people were not to respect intellectual property then we'd go back when there weren't any books.

As human beings we like to put our dicks in places and write our names on something.
    We should celebrate March 2013 as the month Off-Topic went Full Retard.

3000+

Edit: Capitalism postulates that people develop things for a monetary gain. If development is not profitable in itself, then, as per capitalism, nothing will be developed.
    funny how the libertarian is killing capitalism.
    We should celebrate March 2013 as the month Off-Topic went Full Retard.

Banned

Patents and copyrights are entitlement ideas. They are weird. Who came up with the term that because you develop something no one else should be allowed to make the same or make it better, because someone say they should get whats coming to them through self proclaimed entitlements.

It makes no sense. It's not an honest form of income. People should be free to sell what ever product they didn't steal. Ideas are not produce and ideas can not be stolen in a patent free society. They can be used and ad competition which in turn helps the customers.

Did Nikolas Tesla and Einstein come up with their ideas currently benefiting every single one of us on motives of entitlements?

I can see people need a carrot for sure. But who says that carrot ain't there because pf patents`?

I dunno. Just throwing thoughts.
    Last edited by Bissen; 01-31-2012 at 22:38.