Page 1 of 15 1211 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 213
  1. #1
    12,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NYC, Beta Tester
    Posts
    12,845

    Default Intelectual property is nonsensical concept.

    The reason why we have private property and the reason why it is fiercely defended is because private property is scarce. The system we developed is made to reduce conflict in society. People can only acquire property by either creating it from unclaimed resources or trading the ownership from one person to another.

    So "intellectual property" does not have these constrains. Once it comes into existence it can be copied to infinity and without any cost to it. What is more the original producer does not lose the property it self. As such it is not a scarce good. It should not be given the same protections as real goods.

    The fact that original producer may not be able to get a certain income he desires or to recoup his costs is not a concern of society. He took a risk when producing the property that he may not be able to recoup the costs and he should bear it.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"


    Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

  2. #2
    10,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    F*CK Mexifornia
    Posts
    10,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    The reason why we have private property and the reason why it is fiercely defended is because private property is scarce. The system we developed is made to reduce conflict in society. People can only acquire property by either creating it from unclaimed resources or trading the ownership from one person to another.

    So "intellectual property" does not have these constrains. Once it comes into existence it can be copied to infinity and without any cost to it. What is more the original producer does not lose the property it self. As such it is not a scarce good. It should not be given the same protections as real goods.

    The fact that original producer may not be able to get a certain income he desires or to recoup his costs is not a concern of society. He took a risk when producing the property that he may not be able to recoup the costs and he should bear it.
    Its a concern to society when the person cant produce works of art, books, music or movies and get paid for his contributions. Without that person making it, it wont exist. Since they are the people who made it, it is their property. If that person cant be compensated for their time, effort and idea they will no longer produce in that medium and then you will have nothing to steal.

    I am sorry but you are wrong.

  3. #3

    Default

    Congratulations, you just wiped out the entire basis of capitalism.
    Last edited by Emolas; 01-31-2012 at 21:56.

  4. #4

    Default

    I think we'd see way less medicore stuff if the copyright laws were less strict. They'd be forced to make a better product to sell.

  5. #5
    10,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    F*CK Mexifornia
    Posts
    10,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyhat View Post
    I think we'd see way less medicore stuff if the copyright laws were less strict. They'd be forced to make a better product to sell.
    They would be forced to make a better product to sell if dumb fucks such as yourself would stop buying the bullshit that they are trying to sell you. There is a reason why the Waynes Brothers keep making movies, because you morons keep going to see them.

    If you dont pay they are forced to produce higher quality or go out of business.

  6. #6
    5000+
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    1984
    Posts
    5,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [LoD] EE View Post
    If that person cant be compensated for their time, effort and idea they will no longer produce in that medium and then you will have nothing to steal.

    I am sorry but you are wrong.
    You'd still have everything already made, everything which would otherwise be made in the public domain plus a shitload of stuff that people would make for public domain because the sudden lack of competition in new material would mean they could get an audience (and make money by becoming famous, product placement and merchandising especially if trademarks are still protected) and also stuff that can't be made/distributed legally now because it's derivative of protected works or characters in some way.
    Last edited by Weeking; 01-31-2012 at 22:05.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [LoD] EE View Post
    They would be forced to make a better product to sell if dumb fucks such as yourself would stop buying the bullshit that they are trying to sell you. There is a reason why the Waynes Brothers keep making movies, because you morons keep going to see them.

    If you dont pay they are forced to produce higher quality or go out of business.
    Who's movies? Anywho, you can't change how people are. But you can change the laws.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [LoD] EE View Post
    They would be forced to make a better product to sell if dumb fucks such as yourself would stop buying the bullshit that they are trying to sell you. There is a reason why the Waynes Brothers keep making movies, because you morons keep going to see them.

    If you dont pay they are forced to produce higher quality or go out of business.
    Actually, it's cheaper copy products that usually makes the higher quality one go out of business.

    Just look at the medical industry.
    Last edited by Emolas; 01-31-2012 at 22:05.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,414

    Default

    Every scientists throughout history should have copyrighted their findings. Would be fun to see how far that would have gotten us, had such ideas been on a pay to use basis.

  10. #10
    12,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NYC, Beta Tester
    Posts
    12,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [LoD] EE View Post
    Its a concern to society when the person cant produce works of art, books, music or movies and get paid for his contributions. Without that person making it, it wont exist. Since they are the people who made it, it is their property. If that person cant be compensated for their time, effort and idea they will no longer produce in that medium and then you will have nothing to steal.

    I am sorry but you are wrong.
    If that is the price so be it. I hardly think that will be the outcome.

    Morally you have no argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emolas View Post
    Congratulations, you just wiped out the entire basis of capitalism.
    Capitalism deals with private property. I am talking about the concept of intellectual property.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"


    Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    Every scientists throughout history should have copyrighted their findings. Would be fun to see how far that would have gotten us, had such ideas been on a pay to use basis.
    You can only hold on to a patent for a limited time.


    Edit: Capitalism postulates that people develop things for a monetary gain. If development is not profitable in itself, then, as per capitalism, nothing will be developed.
    Last edited by Emolas; 01-31-2012 at 22:14.

  12. #12
    12,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NYC, Beta Tester
    Posts
    12,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emolas View Post
    You can only hold on to a patent for a limited time.
    Shouldn't have patents.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"


    Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

  13. #13
    3000+
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Agon
    Posts
    3,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post

    Capitalism deals with private property. I am talking about the concept of intellectual property.
    Anything that comes out of your head is inherently yours. It falls into the definition of private property. If people were not to respect intellectual property then we'd go back when there weren't any books.

    As human beings we like to put our dicks in places and write our names on something.
    We should celebrate March 2013 as the month Off-Topic went Full Retard.

  14. #14
    3000+
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Agon
    Posts
    3,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emolas View Post
    You can only hold on to a patent for a limited time.


    Edit: Capitalism postulates that people develop things for a monetary gain. If development is not profitable in itself, then, as per capitalism, nothing will be developed.
    funny how the libertarian is killing capitalism.
    We should celebrate March 2013 as the month Off-Topic went Full Retard.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,414

    Default

    Patents and copyrights are entitlement ideas. They are weird. Who came up with the term that because you develop something no one else should be allowed to make the same or make it better, because someone say they should get whats coming to them through self proclaimed entitlements.

    It makes no sense. It's not an honest form of income. People should be free to sell what ever product they didn't steal. Ideas are not produce and ideas can not be stolen in a patent free society. They can be used and ad competition which in turn helps the customers.

    Did Nikolas Tesla and Einstein come up with their ideas currently benefiting every single one of us on motives of entitlements?

    I can see people need a carrot for sure. But who says that carrot ain't there because pf patents`?

    I dunno. Just throwing thoughts.
    Last edited by Bissen; 01-31-2012 at 22:38.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •