Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 213

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    12,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NYC, Beta Tester
    Posts
    12,845

    Default Intelectual property is nonsensical concept.

    The reason why we have private property and the reason why it is fiercely defended is because private property is scarce. The system we developed is made to reduce conflict in society. People can only acquire property by either creating it from unclaimed resources or trading the ownership from one person to another.

    So "intellectual property" does not have these constrains. Once it comes into existence it can be copied to infinity and without any cost to it. What is more the original producer does not lose the property it self. As such it is not a scarce good. It should not be given the same protections as real goods.

    The fact that original producer may not be able to get a certain income he desires or to recoup his costs is not a concern of society. He took a risk when producing the property that he may not be able to recoup the costs and he should bear it.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"


    Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

  2. #2
    10,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    F*CK Mexifornia
    Posts
    10,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    The reason why we have private property and the reason why it is fiercely defended is because private property is scarce. The system we developed is made to reduce conflict in society. People can only acquire property by either creating it from unclaimed resources or trading the ownership from one person to another.

    So "intellectual property" does not have these constrains. Once it comes into existence it can be copied to infinity and without any cost to it. What is more the original producer does not lose the property it self. As such it is not a scarce good. It should not be given the same protections as real goods.

    The fact that original producer may not be able to get a certain income he desires or to recoup his costs is not a concern of society. He took a risk when producing the property that he may not be able to recoup the costs and he should bear it.
    Its a concern to society when the person cant produce works of art, books, music or movies and get paid for his contributions. Without that person making it, it wont exist. Since they are the people who made it, it is their property. If that person cant be compensated for their time, effort and idea they will no longer produce in that medium and then you will have nothing to steal.

    I am sorry but you are wrong.

  3. #3

    Default

    Congratulations, you just wiped out the entire basis of capitalism.
    Last edited by Emolas; 01-31-2012 at 21:56.

  4. #4
    5000+
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    1984
    Posts
    5,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [LoD] EE View Post
    If that person cant be compensated for their time, effort and idea they will no longer produce in that medium and then you will have nothing to steal.

    I am sorry but you are wrong.
    You'd still have everything already made, everything which would otherwise be made in the public domain plus a shitload of stuff that people would make for public domain because the sudden lack of competition in new material would mean they could get an audience (and make money by becoming famous, product placement and merchandising especially if trademarks are still protected) and also stuff that can't be made/distributed legally now because it's derivative of protected works or characters in some way.
    Last edited by Weeking; 01-31-2012 at 22:05.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

  5. #5
    1000+
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weeking View Post
    You'd still have everything already made, everything which would otherwise be made in the public domain plus a shitload of stuff that people would make for public domain because the sudden lack of competition in new material would mean they could get an audience (and make money by becoming famous, product placement and merchandising especially if trademarks are still protected) and also stuff that can't be made/distributed legally now because it's derivative of protected works or characters in some way.
    This.

    EE and many others are confusing distribution with production. This is understandable as the distributors (record labels, publishing houses, movie theaters, newspapers, motion picture distribution outlets etc.) have led a long war of disinformation in order to protect their severely obsolete business model. Intellectual property is a myth at best, the perverted offspring of an adulterated capitalist system gone wrong. Intellectual property grants a monopoly, the very bane of capitalism.

    Don't worry, directors, reporters, musicians, actors, poets, novelists, screen writers etc. (aka content creators) will all continue to make lots of money but using a vastly (and I would argue much improved) payment model that befits the modern day distribution system: the internet.

  6. #6
    12,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NYC, Beta Tester
    Posts
    12,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [LoD] EE View Post
    Its a concern to society when the person cant produce works of art, books, music or movies and get paid for his contributions. Without that person making it, it wont exist. Since they are the people who made it, it is their property. If that person cant be compensated for their time, effort and idea they will no longer produce in that medium and then you will have nothing to steal.

    I am sorry but you are wrong.
    If that is the price so be it. I hardly think that will be the outcome.

    Morally you have no argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emolas View Post
    Congratulations, you just wiped out the entire basis of capitalism.
    Capitalism deals with private property. I am talking about the concept of intellectual property.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"


    Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

  7. #7
    3000+
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Agon
    Posts
    3,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post

    Capitalism deals with private property. I am talking about the concept of intellectual property.
    Anything that comes out of your head is inherently yours. It falls into the definition of private property. If people were not to respect intellectual property then we'd go back when there weren't any books.

    As human beings we like to put our dicks in places and write our names on something.
    We should celebrate March 2013 as the month Off-Topic went Full Retard.

  8. #8
    2000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marilio View Post
    Anything that comes out of your head is inherently yours. It falls into the definition of private property. If people were not to respect intellectual property then we'd go back when there weren't any books.

    As human beings we like to put our dicks in places and write our names on something.
    What are you smoking? Many of the greatest books in human history were written and published in a time without intellectual property laws.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emolas
    Actually, it's cheaper copy products that usually makes the higher quality one go out of business.

    Just look at the medical industry.
    You're missing the point entirely. No shit companies will produce cheap garbage--if people are willing to buy cheap garbage. The argument he was making is that if people stop buying garbage movies and games, or whatever, then producing garbage will be less profitable.

    Just look at the organic food industry, for instance. A societal trend has formed where large sectors of the population are no longer willing to buy and eat the poisonous shit people have been trying to pass off as food. Thus, a new market is born and grows. Even the mainstream food companies have had to scale back on the wholesale toxicity of their foods to remain viable.

    To say that the inclinations of society have no effect on the profitability of a product is patently ridiculous.
    ~Greatness Incarnate~

  9. #9
    8000+
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    US - Texas
    Posts
    8,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marilio View Post
    Anything that comes out of your head is inherently yours. It falls into the definition of private property. If people were not to respect intellectual property then we'd go back when there weren't any books.

    As human beings we like to put our dicks in places and write our names on something.
    Bullshit. If that were true then everyone needs to be paying Newtons descendants some big ass royalties. Same goes for everyone who contributed to the collection of knowledge since the dawn of time. What you put out in the world become's the worlds as far as information is concerned.

  10. #10

    Default

    I think we'd see way less medicore stuff if the copyright laws were less strict. They'd be forced to make a better product to sell.

  11. #11
    10,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    F*CK Mexifornia
    Posts
    10,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyhat View Post
    I think we'd see way less medicore stuff if the copyright laws were less strict. They'd be forced to make a better product to sell.
    They would be forced to make a better product to sell if dumb fucks such as yourself would stop buying the bullshit that they are trying to sell you. There is a reason why the Waynes Brothers keep making movies, because you morons keep going to see them.

    If you dont pay they are forced to produce higher quality or go out of business.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [LoD] EE View Post
    They would be forced to make a better product to sell if dumb fucks such as yourself would stop buying the bullshit that they are trying to sell you. There is a reason why the Waynes Brothers keep making movies, because you morons keep going to see them.

    If you dont pay they are forced to produce higher quality or go out of business.
    Who's movies? Anywho, you can't change how people are. But you can change the laws.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [LoD] EE View Post
    They would be forced to make a better product to sell if dumb fucks such as yourself would stop buying the bullshit that they are trying to sell you. There is a reason why the Waynes Brothers keep making movies, because you morons keep going to see them.

    If you dont pay they are forced to produce higher quality or go out of business.
    Actually, it's cheaper copy products that usually makes the higher quality one go out of business.

    Just look at the medical industry.
    Last edited by Emolas; 01-31-2012 at 22:05.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,414

    Default

    Every scientists throughout history should have copyrighted their findings. Would be fun to see how far that would have gotten us, had such ideas been on a pay to use basis.

  15. #15
    1000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,646

    Default

    just wait until the mass advent of 3 dimensional printing..


    shit is really going to hit the fan.




    tbh the concept of permanent individual property in and of itself is the root problem, as it contradicts the fundamental laws of nature that create us. you did not make yourself, and very few things (if any) were actually produced from scratch by the efforts of just one force, man, or woman. this is a system of impermanent relationships, one that we are all a part of... you do not exist as a separate entity from the group. does this system called earth not have enough resources to support itself, and flourish? work/play should be done out of the natural internal drive to be a part of this system, not some heavily marketed concept of individuality; which is the very reason why anything is produced in mediocrity - out of the belief that an individuals actions will not affect the group, and that in turn, the reaction will not affect the individual.
    in truth, every idea or creation ever invented by any individual was inspired by the work of the group.

    we, are in this game together
    AnarchAbolical Killers
    Quote Originally Posted by Aacevedo
    jajajajja , in my country "raja" is the name we give to the line formed by the ass cheeks :lmao:
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyraccoon
    That's actually pretty sexy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •