Hybrid View

6000+ Long term follower

Default New TV purchase thread

So my 60" Sony is dying and the warranty expired like 5 months ago. While I was not unhappy with it, the cost of fixing it makes buying a new more modern TV worth it. Since, forumfall is knowing in all things, I thought I would run my first choice by you guys and see what is said. Here is what I'm looking at......

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/Home...C60LE832U.aspx

5000+

Having the back connectors on the side is going to be a pain if you're going to mount it on a wall. And that TV won't be stable if not since it's so big.

At 230W, it'll be like sitting in front of a fireplace. Product Weight (lbs.) 68.3 - LOL. You can't even move it yourself and that crappy stand seems like it's going to break by the weight or allow it to topple over sideways even.

Media player built-in on TVs is pointless since they conspire to make the feature suck hard. Always bad UI, no multitasking and only a few politically correct formats supported.

Just to show you how shitty the media player thingy is:
    Slide show speed options are 5, 10, 30 and 60 seconds. Though it does support background music.
    You have to register the TV at divx.com before being able to play divx.
    Only supports crappy file-systems : FAT/FAT32/NTFS.

JPEG (.jpg) (DCF2.0 compliant)
    MP3 (.mp3)
    Bitrate: 32k, 40k, 48k, 56k, 64k, 80k,
    96k, 112k, 128k, 160k, 192k, 224k,
    256k, 320kbps
    Sampling frequency: 32k, 44.1k, 48kHz

(Only one type of picture and audio FFS and Progressive format jpeg files are not supported.)

Supports more video formats, but still many missing.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

6000+ Long term follower

Thanks for the input, but none of those things are a concern. I have a HTPC that I'm building after I get this, so I don't care about any of the music or video formats. I was more interested in the actual picture and the higher tier TVs all come with that crap standard now.
    Last edited by Falokis; 01-12-2012 at 00:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Falokis View Post
    So my 60" Sony is dying and the warranty expired like 5 months ago. While I was not unhappy with it, the cost of fixing it makes buying a new more modern TV worth it. Since, forumfall is knowing in all things, I thought I would run my first choice by you guys and see what is said. Here is what I'm looking at......

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/Home...C60LE832U.aspx
    Get an LED non 3D tv. Samsung is great, I have two.

/thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevron View Post
    I play Halo and I'm autistic.

6000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema View Post
    Get an LED non 3D tv. Samsung is great, I have two.

/thread
    That model is exactly that. Samsung was my first choice in brand, but they have been TV king for 5 years and their prices are starting to show it. Sharp is basically like they were then, great TVs at reasonable prices. I bought it and brought it home. I can take it back anytime within 60days. I'm pretty fucking impressed. The picture is so good it makes movies look like sets and kind of kills immersion. I never thought a picture could be too good. The color is so amazing. I thought the extra yellow pixel was a gimmick, but it's not. The only con is the automotion feature that is supposed to make fast action sports and such look better. It actually makes it worse, so I just disabled it.

Samsung and LG have the best picture/color quality imo.
    And if you're going to buy an expensive piece of tech, you might as well buy the best there is
    Darkfall moderators are not paid employees of Aventurine. In all business other than Darkfall Board moderating, our opinions are entirely our own, and do not represent official Aventurine opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Falokis View Post
    That model is exactly that. Samsung was my first choice in brand, but they have been TV king for 5 years and their prices are starting to show it. Sharp is basically like they were then, great TVs at reasonable prices. I bought it and brought it home. I can take it back anytime within 60days. I'm pretty fucking impressed. The picture is so good it makes movies look like sets and kind of kills immersion. I never thought a picture could be too good. The color is so amazing. I thought the extra yellow pixel was a gimmick, but it's not. The only con is the automotion feature that is supposed to make fast action sports and such look better. It actually makes it worse, so I just disabled it.
    You get used to the 'too real' look after about a week. Cool if the Sharp is comparable, I didn't click the link to be honest and was reporting on my experience. I've had my LED's for a couple years now and never had any issues.

Good luck to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevron View Post
    I play Halo and I'm autistic.