5000+

Default Windows 8 test version now available

Dev Center

Downloads

Just download the appropriate .iso and burn it to a dvd

3000+

It's been out since September I think. They're supposed to release the beta version around February.

8000+

Is this worth downloading?

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Jedicake View Post
    Is this worth downloading?
    Perhaps, especially if you're a developer.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by iza View Post
    It's been out since September I think. They're supposed to release the beta version around February.
    You sure? I read about it in an article from yesterday in one of swedens biggest it news site, I don't think they'd be months behind on this

anyway, installation in progress http://imgur.com/P69Fb
    Last edited by Makgyver; 12-26-2011 at 03:31.

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Makgyver View Post
    You sure? I read about it in an article from yesterday in one of swedens biggest it news site, I don't think they'd be months behind on this
    Yep.
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic..._February_2012

"Although Windows 8's beta will appear a month later in the cycle -- February instead of January -- its Developer Preview launched a month earlier, in mid-September rather than Windows 7's October, perhaps making the two schedules a wash.

At the same Tuesday event, Microsoft said more than 3 million copies of the Windows 8 Developer Preview had been downloaded since it was released to the public Sept. 13."

I'm about to buy a new computer that doesn't come with an operating system AND I'm a computer idiot.

Could I download this as an iso and just make my new computer straight Windows 8?
    Philnaer Grimtrove
    Senior Detective
    Glory Seeker
    Servant of the Great Beard

3000+

Yes, but it will eventually expire (not for a few months at least), and also you may not be able to upgrade to the final version without a reinstall.

Quote Originally Posted by philipc4 View Post
    I'm about to buy a new computer that doesn't come with an operating system AND I'm a computer idiot.

Could I download this as an iso and just make my new computer straight Windows 8?
    Why are you buying a computer with no OS, and you're a admitted computer idiot?.....that likes buying a car without an engine and not being a mechanic.

No, I would not suggest a complete computer noob to download a pre-beta version of an unreleased OS to run as their primary OS on their machine.

But then....the sadistic IT support side of me....says, yeah, it'll be a breeze and you'll enjoy it. You just cant call me for support on it.

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by philipc4 View Post

Desktop computer? What processor is it going to have?

I'd suggest GNU/Linux, f ex the Xubuntu distro. I'm assuming the point of win 8 was too pretend not to be a newb. Linux does that just as well, if not better.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

7000+

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegler View Post
    Why are you buying a computer with no OS, and you're a admitted computer idiot?.....that likes buying a car without an engine and not being a mechanic.

No, I would not suggest a complete computer noob to download a pre-beta version of an unreleased OS to run as their primary OS on their machine.

But then....the sadistic IT support side of me....says, yeah, it'll be a breeze and you'll enjoy it. You just cant call me for support on it.
    Today installing an os is pretty much putting the disk in, booting the computer and pressing next.

Join us on Twitch or on our forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok Delrhe View Post
    Today installing an os is pretty much putting the disk in, booting the computer and pressing next.
    presuming all the drivers are native to the OS and you dont mind those devices having limited functionality, sure thing; and you're not interested in cleaning the drive or creating partitions. I do OS loads all the time, and newer machines can have as many of 10 drivers to be loaded with windows 7SP1.