Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    5000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,033

    Default Windows 8 test version now available

    Dev Center

    Downloads

    Just download the appropriate .iso and burn it to a dvd

  2. #2
    3000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,528

    Default

    It's been out since September I think. They're supposed to release the beta version around February.

  3. #3
    8000+
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    8,076

    Default

    Is this worth downloading?

  4. #4
    1000+
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nostalgia Land
    Posts
    1,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedicake View Post
    Is this worth downloading?
    Perhaps, especially if you're a developer.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

  5. #5
    5000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iza View Post
    It's been out since September I think. They're supposed to release the beta version around February.
    You sure? I read about it in an article from yesterday in one of swedens biggest it news site, I don't think they'd be months behind on this

    anyway, installation in progress http://imgur.com/P69Fb
    Last edited by Makgyver; 12-26-2011 at 03:31.

  6. #6
    3000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Makgyver View Post
    You sure? I read about it in an article from yesterday in one of swedens biggest it news site, I don't think they'd be months behind on this
    Yep.
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic..._February_2012

    "Although Windows 8's beta will appear a month later in the cycle -- February instead of January -- its Developer Preview launched a month earlier, in mid-September rather than Windows 7's October, perhaps making the two schedules a wash.

    At the same Tuesday event, Microsoft said more than 3 million copies of the Windows 8 Developer Preview had been downloaded since it was released to the public Sept. 13."

  7. #7

    Default

    I'm about to buy a new computer that doesn't come with an operating system AND I'm a computer idiot.

    Could I download this as an iso and just make my new computer straight Windows 8?
    Philnaer Grimtrove
    Senior Detective
    Glory Seeker
    Servant of the Great Beard

  8. #8
    3000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,528

    Default

    Yes, but it will eventually expire (not for a few months at least), and also you may not be able to upgrade to the final version without a reinstall.

  9. #9
    Banned Ziegler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philipc4 View Post
    I'm about to buy a new computer that doesn't come with an operating system AND I'm a computer idiot.

    Could I download this as an iso and just make my new computer straight Windows 8?
    Why are you buying a computer with no OS, and you're a admitted computer idiot?.....that likes buying a car without an engine and not being a mechanic.

    No, I would not suggest a complete computer noob to download a pre-beta version of an unreleased OS to run as their primary OS on their machine.


    But then....the sadistic IT support side of me....says, yeah, it'll be a breeze and you'll enjoy it. You just cant call me for support on it.

  10. #10
    5000+
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    1984
    Posts
    5,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philipc4 View Post
    I'm about to buy a new computer that doesn't come with an operating system AND I'm a computer idiot.

    Could I download this as an iso and just make my new computer straight Windows 8?
    Desktop computer? What processor is it going to have?

    I'd suggest GNU/Linux, f ex the Xubuntu distro. I'm assuming the point of win 8 was too pretend not to be a newb. Linux does that just as well, if not better.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

  11. #11
    7000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Montréal, Québec
    Posts
    7,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziegler View Post
    Why are you buying a computer with no OS, and you're a admitted computer idiot?.....that likes buying a car without an engine and not being a mechanic.

    No, I would not suggest a complete computer noob to download a pre-beta version of an unreleased OS to run as their primary OS on their machine.


    But then....the sadistic IT support side of me....says, yeah, it'll be a breeze and you'll enjoy it. You just cant call me for support on it.
    Today installing an os is pretty much putting the disk in, booting the computer and pressing next.

    Join us on Twitch or on our forums!

  12. #12
    Banned Ziegler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok Delrhe View Post
    Today installing an os is pretty much putting the disk in, booting the computer and pressing next.
    presuming all the drivers are native to the OS and you dont mind those devices having limited functionality, sure thing; and you're not interested in cleaning the drive or creating partitions. I do OS loads all the time, and newer machines can have as many of 10 drivers to be loaded with windows 7SP1.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •