Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5000+

Default The perfect competative game

Let's assume you had the opportunity to create a competative game. How would you go on about it?

Would you make it more or less accessible for the mass market?
    Would you include eleventy thousand different variables through statistics, making it complex, or go with a simple design with less content but more uses?
    Would you go for a more twitch-based gameplay, or a slower paced, but more tactical?

Generally, I want to figure out how to create a competative game that can truly test people's skills on an equal level through deep gameplay, without requiring players to learn numerous little details like how does spell #9861 from the 46th class works in conjuction with spell #7650 from some particular mob or whatever.

Also

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrillegious View Post
    As long as people can get my point across, why would grammar/spelling matter? it doesnt thats why im smart. Im smart cause i dont give a fuck, cause i dont need too. At least here that is.

I'd clone Shadowbane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solonius View Post
    As for an AV communication / Development update, you have my personal permission raise hell if one doesn't come after Friday of this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by zixxor View Post
    AV can be happy that im not near to greece, otherwise i would leave them a BIG SHIT @ the Entrance, every morning. Just to say how fucking shitty they are!

9000+
    Fuck you.

chess
    Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Playing Darkfall is the most fun I've ever had on a computer with my pants zipped up and both hands on the desk.

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by bmfof View Post
    Let's assume you had the opportunity to create a competative game. How would you go on about it?

Would you make it more or less accessible for the mass market?
    Would you include eleventy thousand different variables through statistics, making it complex, or go with a simple design with less content but more uses?
    Would you go for a more twitch-based gameplay, or a slower paced, but more tactical?

Generally, I want to figure out how to create a competative game that can truly test people's skills on an equal level through deep gameplay, without requiring players to learn numerous little details like how does spell #9861 from the 46th class works in conjuction with spell #7650 from some particular mob or whatever.
    Mass market, even if it means a low price since it's popularity is required to create an e-sport.
    Make it very simple so that there will be few bugs and exploits and people watching can understand it.
    If people are going to watch it live, go with twitch, if not, make it strategic.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

2000+

IMO you can go to either end of the spectrum. Fast-paced, twitch, without too many variables. Simple. Sort of like Quake.

Tactical gameplay is great too, doesn't necessarily have to show who's best at reacting fastest but rather who can lay the best plans and think on their feet. I want to say CS, but it's still rather twitch based.

While there is also skill in learning different variables like skills/spells/moves, it's not something I'd prefer. Those types of games aren't easy to get into (Darkfall, Street Fighter and such). I think you'll do a lot better with a game that's easy to grasp and learn, but takes a lot of practice to get good at.

I'm naturally thinking FPS, since that's what I play most. The key to any competitive FPS is hit detection has to be near perfect, none of the lag compensation bullshit. Tailor it to work on LANs. Definitely try and minimize the random factor, like bullet spread, it makes it more luck than skill based.

If you do it right the mass market will enjoy the quality of your product, like CS, but you shouldn't make the game "dumber" for them.

muddymess

Banned

Dropships.

The game im looking at developing would be a mix of starcraft and savage set in first person, with 8-16 players pr team.

Simple concept, conquest
    First Person
    2-4 islands/bases.
    2-4 teams.

8-16 areas to gather materials open to all players.

everybody starts on an island where you get 1x starting resource then you board dropships to gather more on remote islands located at the coasts of each base. (note every island its possible to drop in unannounced)

You would setup your mining drone (no retarted gathering) and it would gather stuff for your base to build upgrades either on your dropships or your marines. (note* this can be killed and replaced by the opposing team)

When you would kill an enemy the enemy would join your side.(open for debate wether its team or player to transfer could be 2 gamemodes)

A commander would be present on each team to build team structures (upgrades, weapons, vehicles?)

I already drew up the map in the starcraft II editor set the parameters and stuff, still need quite some balancing, but can be found under "Dropships" on starcraft II.

Im currently looking into gameengines to actually try and make it in another format, but UDK is holding me back abit its a really steep learning curve.

But it seems like the correct choice as it is meant to be a first person shooter and the graphics are really great to be honest.

So as it is right now i would make that game

4000+

Severity lololol

Expand and improve upon M&B Warband.

5000+

@lamer
    I think more players and dropping the production part would be better. An old idea I had:
    Think Starcraft with each person controlling each unit, possibly FPS, but that would limit the amount of players.

Each player has personal resources (f ex gold, but it might be several) that can be used to buy units for him to control. He can only control one at a time. There's a short respawn time each time you die and you have to buy the unit you want to control (no free ones). You start with a small number of resources, but earn more from doing damage to the enemy proportional to the cost of their unit per hitpoint damaged. There's no repairing or regeneration. When a team runs out of money or have no units in play for a while, they lose. You can't give money away. If someone quits, a new player inherits his gold pile. You spawn at squad leader or (commander if you are a squad leader) only. Squad leaders and commander start with more money.

You could have similar units as starcraft, just drop the workers and casters and make infantry units (marines, hydralisk, archon) able to shoot from transports and make transports tougher and have an attack even if empty. Also lower damage and increase health for units so combat lasts longer. And that's all you need basically.
    Last edited by Weeking; 12-23-2011 at 15:05.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyhat View Post
    They need to make it with a better engine. Better physics would be nice.
    http://a.imageshack.us/img163/1084/levion.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kil_2k View Post
    I'd clone Shadowbane.
    Without CNs.

And the fucking omni-present aracoix dagger skydancer/gladiator thieves.

If you mix the two things, you have a crapload of CN aracoix dagger thieves. The ultimate annoyance.

9000+

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyhat View Post
    This

Quote Originally Posted by shamer gamer View Post
    I grow things for my income so I have lots of free time to play DF.
    Quote Originally Posted by bongloads View Post
    This entire community used to defend Darkfall. It was like a forum full of Tibernicus's. Now, 95% of darkfall vets on forums are completely negative. Something tells me the blame doesn't lie with the community.

Armored Core

My Vendor @ Gul Jarnath | Middleman | My PVP Video
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Justin View Post
    They look fucking awesome.

Because they are Kangafuckingroos!

obviously if i wanted my game to be popular and get me lots of cash i would need to make my game have tabtarget luckbased combat, damage-absorb shields and healers everywhere.