Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Normal User

Default Transferring schools

So i plan on transferring to a different college after finishing my Associates in Biotechnology at community college and my options are going to a more prestigious school and going for a Bachelors in Genetics or going to another school that is not as prestigious but i would go for Biotechnology and be able to complete my Masters in two years. I plan on going for a Ph.D no matter what route i go because i want to work in research and development but am having trouble picking a path to go down. So i have come to forumfall seeking advice, which path would get me a better job and quicker into the work force.

Banned

How the hell should we ever know this, half of us aren't even finished college.

Go to graduate cafe or college confidential or some other forum.

8000+

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryClock View Post

True. Not to mention you are bound to get answers from apocalypse junkies who will give you absolutely terrible advice and if you don't come here often it's going to be hard to tell who the crazies are.
    Last edited by Apex Vertigo; 12-07-2011 at 09:01.

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Vertigo View Post
    True. Not to mention you are bound to get answers from apocalypse junkies who will give you absolutely terrible advice and if you don't come here often it's going to be hard to tell who the crazies are.
    All of them. All of them are crazies.

muddymess

1000+

Plan on getting a more useful degree, like a M.D., if you are returning to school.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Just marry for money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrin
    The hyped abomination has been slain by the hand of the righteous—let it rot in the pit of death and decay that it has prepared for itself.
    Official Human Advocate

I'm 1.000 in World Wars...

11,000+

Hate to break it to you but you don't need a Ph.D for MacDonalds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc View Post
    You are clearly awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by StainlessSteelRat View Post
    Being socially progressive does not make you 'advanced'.

Normal User

Learn paragraphs!
    Thaliost Riverblade

[EU]Immortals: recruiting for DF:UW

Casual Darkfall Blog [Last Update: August, 8th, 2012: DanesLaw tried to steal Immortals' Home o_O]

Sell off all your valuables, invest in silver & buy a gun.
    Wisdom Of Bots
    1, then tired, do not forget to smile; be anxious, but also pay attention to tone; no matter how tough, do not forget to adhere to; No matter how tired, but also love yourself.
    But we are jet modified and not faint-hearted of difficulties

6000+

inb4 dont study at all, study something else, i earn more money with my retard job than u ever will, bank crisis, world order collapse
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilio View Post
    You can't educate people that do not want to be educated.
    Dunning-Kruger, showing the internet as a parody of the human race since 1999.

Also.. Aliens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyldor Gwyvallt View Post
    Obviously all this in the US...the country where a fanatical worship of science has replaced any true religious sense or any balanced perception of LIFE

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Kutana View Post
    So i plan on transferring to a different college after finishing my Associates in Biotechnology at community college and my options are going to a more prestigious school and going for a Bachelors in Genetics or going to another school that is not as prestigious but i would go for Biotechnology and be able to complete my Masters in two years. I plan on going for a Ph.D no matter what route i go because i want to work in research and development but am having trouble picking a path to go down. So i have come to forumfall seeking advice, which path would get me a better job and quicker into the work force.

Go to the more prestigeous university. Most of the money floating around for grants etc are within the old boys clubs that you have at prestigeous places. Also you find more respected prof's at those type of places with better industry connections.

experience: First class honours degree, industry experience, half way through a masters.

We live in a check-list society, what comes after your name and where you got it is more important than how good you are anymore.

Be a male stripper.
    Anyway, 'prestige' is overrated. You should concentrate on different projects, they will matter more on your resume.
    Lord Malebo in game.
    Lux Arcana recruit.
    http://www.luxarcana.org/portal/

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryClock View Post

Well that should leave another half that has a job and has finished college then.

Well that is where the fun comes from in asking for advice from forumfall, but i'm sure it will go better then asking girl advice from what i have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by malebogia View Post
    Be a male stripper.
    Anyway, 'prestige' is overrated. You should concentrate on different projects, they will matter more on your resume.

Projects as in independent studies/Research or?

Quote Originally Posted by Rimayven View Post
    Plan on getting a more useful degree, like a M.D., if you are returning to school.
    I'm not returning to school and do not really have an interest in being an M.D would rather try to develop some sort of new technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutana View Post
    I plan on going for a Ph.D no matter what route i go because i want to work in research and development but am having trouble picking a path to go down.
    Once you get a PhD, that's the only school/degree that matters. Where you went to undergrad/masters is a trivia question.

That being said, I would go from bachelors to PhD. You can pick up your masters along the way if you really want it, but no sense in going to a "masters program" in between. That's just a waste of time.

Personally, I would get your BS wherever it's cheapest. Then apply/go to the best PhD program you can get into. Work in 1 or more labs in undergrad -- and get real experience, not "data analysis". Make sure you have solid references coming out of undergrad so you can impress your graduate advisor.

Also: aliens, strippers, the end of the world