Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2000+

Default AMD to abandon Desktop processors

http://hexus.net/business/news/corpo...e-move-mobile/

AMD has had their share of poor management, development, and low market share over the past few years. AMD latest bulldozer CPUs were a utter failure. With that said AMD has had some good products and I hate to see Intel as the only major desktop CPU maker. It may hurt the consumer not having a competitor to help keep prices reasonable. As we know Intel's flagship processors have a history of hovering around $1K+. Will we see low and mid tier processors inch up in prices in the years to come? I hope not.

5000+

Doesn't really say they'll stop making them. If they stop completely though, I think VIA will eventually take advantage of the market GAP and start shipping to USA and Europe and sell non-soldered CPUs to consumers and manufacturers to use their socket on ATX etc mobos.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

5000+

my 965 black is still running great, they just need to remember they can sit in second place as far as performance goes as long as they remain cheap and stable. Right now I think AMD's biggest problem is they're trying to outdo Intel and remain cheaper than Intel at the same time. I think we all know if you have the money and want a beast computer you go Intel, however all I do is play games, so spending a 1/5th less to process at 4/5ths of the speed of an Intel processor is ok in my book. Now if I was rendering high definition video and gfx, rendering high resolution 3d graphics professionally I'd have a different outlook.
    Frumpy Lump's rage
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    He said consumers make jobs appear. Let him explain how that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    I've done shit you probably would faint from even thinking
    At least I get to fuck.
    http://www.twitch.tv/makestro

Bad news for the consumers I guess.

10,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Makestro View Post
    my 965 black is still running great, they just need to remember they can sit in second place as far as performance goes as long as they remain cheap and stable. Right now I think AMD's biggest problem is they're trying to outdo Intel and remain cheaper than Intel at the same time. I think we all know if you have the money and want a beast computer you go Intel, however all I do is play games, so spending a 1/5th less to process at 4/5ths of the speed of an Intel processor is ok in my book. Now if I was rendering high definition video and gfx, rendering high resolution 3d graphics professionally I'd have a different outlook.
    Couldnt agree with you more. My AMD 965 Black is trucking along without issues. It scares me to think what my next PC will cost me if I am forced to use Intel.

Quote Originally Posted by [LoD] EE View Post
    Couldnt agree with you more. My AMD 965 Black is trucking along without issues. It scares me to think what my next PC will cost me if I am forced to use Intel.

you do realize intel has lower cost offerings that have literally 2x the performance on the price per dollar from everything including mobile chips to servers to consumer desktop platforms?

have you been living under a rock these past few years?

fucking retard

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by -Jotun View Post
    you do realize intel has lower cost offerings that have literally 2x the performance on the price per dollar from everything including mobile chips to servers to consumer desktop platforms?

fucking retard
    To be honest I haven't done much research on processors since I built my latest pc(2 years ago now), and at the time the 965 black was preforming quite well compared to the top Intel processor, and cost 1/4th less. I spent about as much building this pc as I would of buying just an Intel processor. Thing is, I see no need to own such a powerful processor for just gaming purposes. If I was doing something that required such high performance(like rendering special effects in high definition video) I would of had a different approach. Still I would say my 965 performs quite well and has aged a lot better than I expect it to. I haven't played a game that bogged my processor down to the point it's unplayable yet.
    Frumpy Lump's rage
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    He said consumers make jobs appear. Let him explain how that happens.
    I've done shit you probably would faint from even thinking
    At least I get to fuck.
    http://www.twitch.tv/makestro

3000+

It's not really bad news, because it already was a monopoly split up into two fake competitors. They both served the same masters and went together when it came to supporting certain features the media industry requested of them.

No loss there really. If there was some true competition out there, i would welcome it. The only real competition will come from china which is developing it's own CPUs and does not give a shit about patents luckily. Patents will be the downfall of western society.

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by pZombie View Post
    It's not really bad news, because it already was a monopoly split up into two fake competitors. They both served the same masters and went together when it came to supporting certain features the media industry requested of them.

No loss there really. If there was some true competition out there, i would welcome it. The only real competition will come from china which is developing it's own CPUs and does not give a shit about patents luckily. Patents will be the downfall of western society.
    If you're talking about the trusting computing stuff and other DRM, VIA is the only one that doesn't have that. Intel, AMD and ARM do.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    http://hexus.net/business/news/corpo...e-move-mobile/

AMD has had their share of poor management, development, and low market share over the past few years. AMD latest bulldozer CPUs were a utter failure. With that said AMD has had some good products and I hate to see Intel as the only major desktop CPU maker. It may hurt the consumer not having a competitor to help keep prices reasonable. As we know Intel's flagship processors have a history of hovering around $1K+. Will we see low and mid tier processors inch up in prices in the years to come? I hope not.
    Where the hell does it say they're going to stop making desktop processors!? Either you're mentally retarded or you have 1st grade reading comprehension skills!

8000+

Quote Originally Posted by -Jotun View Post

fucking retard
    Obvious troll is obvious.

I have not followed the desktop processor market in a couple of years either.

But, arent all the top end cpus light years ahead of software being capable of using them to their fullest ability?

On a side note, they do seem to have the laptop market pretty good for us gamers.

While looking for a laptop on Black Friday, all the lower end AMD processors had far Superior integrated graphics as compared to there intel counterparts,

FAT ELY
    (EDIT: I do not read/respond to Xipher's posts. You should not either)

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
    Where the hell does it say they're going to stop making desktop processors!? Either you're mentally retarded or you have 1st grade reading comprehension skills!
    True it doesnt say that they will and they may not totally get out of the desktop market. However they have announced the cancellation of development on 2 upcoming desktop lines. This along with the bulldozer flop, financial issues, moving away from Global foundries (chip maker for there desktop cpus) I was reading between the lines a bit.

Normal User US1 Player
    Last edited by upgraydd; 12-01-2011 at 19:07.

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by upgraydd View Post
    Is it? A link from your own source says.

edit- forgot link http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/10...t-not-with-arm

It’s far more likely that AMD’s new strategy is to build future low-power x86 parts that can fit into tablets and smartphones. The company already scrapped plans to release an ultra-low power version of its current Bobcat CPU, but the recent decision to move 28nm production to TSMC from GlobalFoundries means AMD had the opportunity to build a new roadmap for itself.
    I mean we are largely speculating here. I admitted that already. Until we have word one way or another we can only guess.
    Last edited by Baralis; 12-01-2011 at 19:22.