Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1000+

Default Overclocking Video Card

My pc is 3-4 years old.
    It's got a intel dual core 1.8 (OC at 2.5),
    2gb RAM,
    Nvidia 8600GTS 256 mb.
    Bad, I know, but it got shit done so far, sort of.

I want to ask thee forumfall, tips on how to overclock the video card without blowing it up. What software should I use and how to use it to get maximum performance and remain safe? It has a small cooler and I also placed a second bigger fan over it also, so it's cooled above and below.

I can run Skyrim at 1400 with High details. 80% of the time I get awesome fps, the rest is also playable. I want a to increase the 80% somehow without adding parts or spending money so I figured this would be the only way.

So, how to do it ?

George Carlin : People are fucking dumb !

11,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Muscalu View Post
    My pc is 3-4 years old.
    2gb RAM,
    Nvidia 8600GTS 256 mb.

I want to ask thee forumfall, tips on how to overclock the video card without blowing it up.
    Don't.

Test overclocking on cards you don't care about because I guarantee you'll blow the card up the first time you attempt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc View Post
    You are clearly awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by StainlessSteelRat View Post
    Being socially progressive does not make you 'advanced'.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by 88Chaz88 View Post
    Don't.

Test overclocking on cards you don't care about because I guarantee you'll blow the card up the first time you attempt it.
    I actually blew both my CPU and my Video Card my first time :-P
    Last edited by Rimayven; 11-24-2011 at 12:23.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by 88Chaz88 View Post
    Don't.

I actually tried several times, on my own, but I didn't know how much to move the thingies. Sometimes it would freeze and I would restart the pc, then reset the changes, sometimes it would work but I couldn't see any improvement, so I figured I'm doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimayven View Post
    That sucks man. My CPU is OC from 1.8 to 2.5 from the first week I bought it. It's been 3-4 years, as I said above and not a single problem. Got a powerfull cooler tho, it's a monster.

3000+

There is no better tool out there for checking an overclock for stability, than the several years old atitool. It says ati tool, but it actually works for nvidia.
    It works similar to prime95 for the CPU. Calculating values using the stream processors, and if values differ from the pre-calculated values for the picture because of the memory or chip not being stable, it pops up yellow dots in the particular area of the picture.

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

do NOT install the drivers for it when it asks. It works without the drivers. You won't use the tool for overclocking the card, but only to check if the overclock is stable.

The best tool for overclocking nvidia cards, is the simple nvidia inspector. It is the most accurate, and does not display fake values you set, but the real values the card actually takes if your settings were not possible.

You can right click on a button and have it add the overclock to the startup menu, or create a link which overclocks whenever you click it. Add it to the startup, only if you are 100% certain the overclock is stable. Otherwise, if you screw this up, you can always start in safe mode, and remove it from the startup folder.

http://blog.orbmu2k.de/tools/nvidia-inspector-tool

Start both tools. Ignore the warning of the ati tool not running the kernel mode driver. Hit "scan for artifacts" in the ati tool, and check for any yellow dots popping up. If there are yellow dots within the picture, it means that you went too high (Even at standard clocks this can happen, in which case you should UNDERclock, which i did on a card which was unstable with factory settings, and now works like a charm).

IF there are no yellow dots popping up from time to time, then start with the memory overclock first. Use the nvidia inspector (if it works for your card - otherwise use another tool) raise the memory clock to the point where the first yellow dots pop up. From there, you can either raise the voltage, to make the dots vanish, or set the memory clock lower.

Raising the voltage will make things more stable and make the dots go away, only if you have enough cooling. Otherwise, it will just overheat the card.

Once done with the memory settings, you go on to set the core clock. This is a bit more difficult, because it is more sensitive and might cause the system to reboot if you go too high. Again, you are looking for yellow dots. Raise it slowly in little steps, until the first dots appear, and then set the clock about 20-50mhz lower to give you some space between stable and unstable.

WARNING: AT ALL TIMES, KEEP AN EYE ON TEMPS. IF TEMPS GO ABOVE 85°C WHILE RUNNING THE ATI TOOL, YOU SHOULD NOT OVERCLOCK HIGHER, BUT GET SOME EXTRA FANS TO BLOW ON THE CARD FIRST AND WHICH CAN KEEP IT UNDER 85°C WHILE THE ATI TOOL IS RUNNING FOR 5min+.
    Last edited by pZombie; 11-24-2011 at 13:56.

1000+

Thanks Zombie ! Can't wait to get home and try it.

Also we seem to be in the same area, looking at your location

5000+

lol, google your PC specs and someone will already have mastered the perfect overclock balance for you

no need to figure it out yourself anymore.

always low ball it, never try to go for higher. if the guide says 750/1000 try 650/900. if thats stable, push it in small increments until it crashes.

if you push it too hard and it crashes, thats how you ruin your shit. both your CPU and GPU are meant to go to temps much higher than standard operating temp so don't worry too much about it, just don't go crazy.
    Originally Posted by Daggermaniac
    The only DF player that I have expected of Aim Botting is Zato Ichi.

19,000+

People actually blow their GPU when overclocking?

oloololo

The only GPU I ever busted was one where I removed the VRM heatsink then tried to play games on it.

Advanced overclocking guide for graphics cards:

1. Increase clocks
    2. Stress test
    3. Watch temps
    4. Increase moar

Worst thing that'll happen if you take it slow is your computer crashes, or you see visual artifacts. Just lower the clocks, voila.
    Last edited by Viluin; 11-24-2011 at 18:09.

1000+

My pc is 3-4 years old.
    2gb RAM,
    Nvidia 8600GTS 256 mb.

I want to ask thee forumfall, tips on how to overclock the video card without blowing it up. What software should I use and how to use it to get maximum performance and remain safe? It has a small cooler and I also placed a second bigger fan over it also, so it's cooled above and below.

I can run Skyrim at 1400 with High details. 80% of the time I get awesome fps, the rest is also playable. I want a to increase the 80% somehow without adding parts or spending money so I figured this would be the only way.

So, how to do it ?
    Holy shit man, your PC is nearly as bad as mine. sucks to not have a better pc, . Although for me it'll probably be 1 more year before i can buy a new one.
    http://a.imageshack.us/img163/1084/levion.jpg

1000+

Ok, Update.

I've overclocked the video card, no artifacts, temp at 60 after playing skyrim for 3-4 hours.

If I increase the clocks, I get artifacts, Zombie said I can raise the voltage but Nvidia Inspector won't let me, the bar is grayed out. I want to GET MOAR.

How can I increase the voltage?

7000+

Quote Originally Posted by Rimayven View Post
    AMD? Cause I really cant figure out how you'd manage to blow a intel cpu up unless you really wanted to.

I'm pretty sure I could set my I7 920 @ 5 ghz if I wanted and it would only do an emergency shut down to prevent damage cause there's so many security protocols to prevent damaging it...
    Last edited by Ragnarok Delrhe; 11-28-2011 at 13:18.

Join us on Twitch or on our forums!

6000+ Long term follower

Ok, Update.

I've overclocked the video card, no artifacts, temp at 60 after playing skyrim for 3-4 hours.

If I increase the clocks, I get artifacts, Zombie said I can raise the voltage but Nvidia Inspector won't let me, the bar is grayed out. I want to GET MOAR.

How can I increase the voltage?
    MSI Afterburner is basically a better version of ATI tool. It will allow you to unlock the voltage.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Falokis View Post
    MSI Afterburner is basically a better version of ATI tool. It will allow you to unlock the voltage.
    Got any tips on how to proceed? I've never done this before, increasing the voltage.

6000+ Long term follower

Do what others have said, look up common ones for your card. Find the standard and the difference. Take half of that and never go above it. Many OCers just try and max it out. They aren't trying for stable. You want stable.

Increase clock until you see artifacts, increase voltage by 10% of the difference. Do the artifacts go away? No. Increase by 10%. Many times they won't go away with higher voltage either. Some chips just have a wall and they aren't equal. My GPU OC'd to the standard I found for it without having to change the voltage at all. My friend has the exact same GPU and had to increase the voltage a ton.

Remember to watch your temps, increasing voltage even a little can drastically change them.
    Last edited by Falokis; 11-28-2011 at 14:26.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Falokis View Post
    Do what others have said, look up common ones for your card. Find the standard and the difference. Take half of that and never go above it. Many OCers just try and max it out. They aren't trying for stable. You want stable.

Increase clock until you see artifacts, increase voltage by 10% of the difference. Do the artifacts go away? No. Increase by 10%. Many times they won't go away with higher voltage either. Some chips just have a wall and they aren't equal. My GPU OC'd to the standard I found for it without having to change the voltage at all. My friend has the exact same GPU and had to increase the voltage a ton.
    Ok, thanks. Will try tonight.