Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Scientists invent lightest material on Earth. What now?

Scientists have invented a new material that is so lightweight it can sit atop a fluffy dandelion without crushing the little fuzzy seeds.

It's so lightweight, styrofoam is 100 times heavier.

It is so lightweight, in fact, that the research team consisting of scientists at UC Irvine, HRL Laboratories and Caltech say in the peer-reviewed Nov. 18 issue of Science that it is the lightest material on Earth, and no one has asked them to run a correction yet.

That's light!

The material has been dubbed "ultralight metallic microlattice," and according to a news release sent out by UC Irvine, it consists of 99.99% air thanks to its "microlattice" cellular architecture.

"The trick is to fabricate a lattice of interconnected hollow tubes with a wall thickness 1,000 times thinner than a human hair," lead author Tobias Shandler of HRL said in the release.

To understand the structure of the material, think of the Eiffel Tower or the Golden Gate Bridge -- which are both light and weight efficient -- but on a nano-scale.

The material in the picture above is made out of 90% nickel, but Bill Carter, manager of the architected materials group at HRL, said it can be made out of other materials as well -- the nickel version was just the easiest to make.

As for the uses of such a material? That's still to be determined. Lorenzo Valdevit, UCI's principal investigator on the project, brought up impact protection, uses in the aerospace industry, acoustic dampening and maybe some battery applications.

In the meantime, we asked Bill Carter what would happen if we threw this material in the air and waited for it to fall to the ground.

"It’s sort of like a feather -- it floats down, and its terminal velocity depends on the density," he said. "It takes more than 10 seconds, for instance, for the lightest material we’ve made to fall if you drop it from shoulder height."
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...track=lat-pick

Pretty nifty. Not sure what they can apply this to but I'm sure they will think of something.

10,000+

Quote Originally Posted by doomahx View Post
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...track=lat-pick

Pretty nifty. Not sure what they can apply this to but I'm sure they will think of something.
    They mention some of the applications that could could be used in, in the article.

"As for the uses of such a material? That's still to be determined."

You are right though, i should have phrased it more along the lines of "i wonder what they will effectively apply this to"

You're into weapons and stuff. Could this potentially be used for protective armor? I know they said possibly impact protection but not sure if that would fall under that category. I wonder how thick it would have to be to stop a bullet for instance.
    Last edited by doomahx; 11-18-2011 at 22:02.

10,000+

You are right though, i should have phrased it more along the lines of "i wonder what they will effectively apply this to"

You're into weapons and stuff. Could this potentially be used for protective armor? I know they said possibly impact protection but not sure if that would fall under that category.
    Highly doubtful. Not enough mass in it to stop the kinetic energy of the round. It could be used in the guns themselves to make them lighter. Lighter weapons would mean, more ammo can be carried or even lightening the load which means, Soldiers who are not as tired.

5000+

they'll probably make honda civic hoods out of them and sell them to idiots for $5000, much like carbonfiber when that happened..
    Originally Posted by Daggermaniac
    The only DF player that I have expected of Aim Botting is Zato Ichi.

10,000+

Quote Originally Posted by zato`1 View Post
    they'll probably make honda civic hoods out of them and sell them to idiots for $5000, much like carbonfiber when that happened..
    I paid nothing near $5000 for the Carbon Fiber hood and hatch for my car.

Ill tell ya what though, it made a world of difference on weight. Let me know when you can lift a hood in one hand, hatch in the other, at the same time and it be made of steel.

Normal User

Fir me, it was just a common invention.

Space elevator comes to mind. The problem they face with such a thing is that it with known commercial available materials would collapse on itself due to its mass.
    Wisdom Of Bots
    1, then tired, do not forget to smile; be anxious, but also pay attention to tone; no matter how tough, do not forget to adhere to; No matter how tired, but also love yourself.
    But we are jet modified and not faint-hearted of difficulties

5000+

You're into weapons and stuff. Could this potentially be used for protective armor? I know they said possibly impact protection but not sure if that would fall under that category. I wonder how thick it would have to be to stop a bullet for instance.
    They already had aerogel that's really light, but it's very expensive. I Hope this one is cheap and easily mass-produced. The thickness doesn't matter that much. It just have to be much better than steel on a weight basis and still affordable. F ex if it was really cheap, you could use meters of the stuff to coat a bunker, or put it inside walls for insulation.

Impact protection could be mounted outside vehicles, in which case, it could easily be 50cm thick without causing problems, at least for slow moving ones like tanks.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

But it isn't actually a solid material.. Lame, next.

Boob implants. Will allow them to go even bigger without sagging.

10,000+ Long term follower

How is this a 'new' material? Was 'steel' an invention?

Invention or discovery...... /hrm

I wonder how strong it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
    If 3/4 of all the money spent on defense was diverted into education funds, public school would be dirt cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Sparrow View Post
    99% of human resource offices are paid for by grants (non-tax dollars).

How about aircraft? Maybe a replacement for the composite stuff in a plane or boat? It makes a point about how light it is, but not how strong.

What about heat properties? Could the micro air pockets be used for insulation or something?
    "Locked. Saying Scots have thievery in their genes is a no-no."

"That's like being the best cripple in the special Olympics."

energy sword

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Blood View Post
    energy sword
    And teleporting antimatter bombs
    "Assnoob." -Roggo