Normal User

Default Pks/griefers etc

If UO had never split their servers, would you be okay with a greatly reduced population to persecute?

Imagine a (hypothetical)game where the world was open and free - no safe zones, and all loot free for the taking anytime anywhere. Death is real too, but leveling is quick & there is no grind or tedious activities, identities can be hidden(invisiblity/disguises/illusion magic) but can also be tracked and monitored(gods of balance/victims spirit world) by those with justice on their mind.
    Now in the beginning there is some order, an empire as such. Your group of brigands raids a village, so the city sends out a unit of soldiers, but you're waiting and ready. Now they send in reinforcements - but you are well prepared, infact your group has taken over several villages and claimed them as your own. Right the kingdom sends out the army, sadly you are suppressed and hunted down, and flee and hide.
    Now perhaps you may assassinate the leaders of this kingdom or cause other espionage and havoc, but for the most part order is retained and your population of victims is maintained.
    OR you take over control - then what happens? Do you maintain some level of order, to encourage the retention of population?

Your views - thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falokis
    If you aren't grinding, you must be dying faster and more often than all the children in Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaratos
    I was gonna focus, I suddenly get really sick, cant study at all. All I can do is play some darkfall to ease the pain. I am a degenerate.

UO's problem was there was no rewards for a "good guy," and being a bad guy was alot more fun. I think UO could've worked if that was taken into consideration rather than blanket ruining the game with trammel.

Also darkfall has this exact same problem.
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=380771&date  line=1345590091

10,000+

Some of my fondest memories of UO was being Pk'd and then becoming an Anti-PK. Hearing about reports of PK's and going out to meet them was such a blast. I doubt any game will bring that feeling back like the first year of UO.

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by [LoD] EE View Post
    Some of my fondest memories of UO was being Pk'd and then becoming an Anti-PK. Hearing about reports of PK's and going out to meet them was such a blast. I doubt any game will bring that feeling back like the first year of UO.
    the problem with this is most people are giant pussies and don't want a challenge, they just want a win
    Originally Posted by Daggermaniac
    The only DF player that I have expected of Aim Botting is Zato Ichi.

Normal User

Default Great!

So there would be 4 players in an open pvp free for all world
    Quote Originally Posted by Falokis
    If you aren't grinding, you must be dying faster and more often than all the children in Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaratos
    I was gonna focus, I suddenly get really sick, cant study at all. All I can do is play some darkfall to ease the pain. I am a degenerate.

Heh, I actually had a clan(Circle of Ascension) in UO Beta that did the good guy thing back when there were no Immortal Insta Kill Guards. Used to patrol the popular mining areas and protect people there, and were usually rewarded for it with lots of ore and garbage. Had fun Battles protecting Trinsic. Evil players were actually notorious and known by name to others for their skills, not some faction meter that tells you you're evil.

But yeah, there wasn't much reward in being good, and most of the "Open" aspects that created a need for "Heroes" got patched out with Insta kill Super Guards thanks to the bluebies that didn't want any risk. Patched in a way that actually punished the good players more by creating too many restrictions. Pre-Trammel of course.
    After that in Release the guild sort of drifted apart, people doing their own thing.

Thats when I started having fun thieving, getting runes and keys to houses and looting them, killing the owners in their own homes. Even asked a friend(Milamber) in TheMercs to bring the boys over and help loot a place a couple times when there was too much loot to handle! Trapped instagib boxes left along the popular travel roads.. Fun, until Trammel.

Now we've got generations of bluebie games with pvp minigames, after-thought pvp servers and very few exceptions. The saddest part is people that think Arenas are real bad ass PvP because they've never played anything better.

If Darkfall could find the right balance....
    Last edited by CorDox; 11-10-2011 at 09:16.