Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast
    7000+

Default Canada axes funding to the UNESCO

OTTAWA — In the wake of a vote by UNESCO to allow Palestinians a seat at the table, Canada's federal government said it will not be giving any additional money to the UN body.

Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird told reporters Tuesday the government would not be offering further "voluntary" payments to the United Nations' cultural arm.

Baird said Canada would continue its funding at current levels, but will not add new payments.

Canada provides almost $12 million annually to UNESCO.

"Under no circumstances will Canada cover the budgeting shortfall as a result of this decision and Canada has decided to freeze all further voluntary contributions to UNESCO," Baird said.

The shortfall Baird referred to is in reference to U.S. law that immediately cuts off funding to any UN body that accepts Palestinians as full members. U.S. money makes up about 22 per cent of UNESCO's annual budget.

The minister said the government needed to send a message to UNESCO that it was not happy with the body's decision to include the Palestinians.

"The bottom line is there's going to be a large hole in UNESCO's budget because of the American law which withdraws funding and people at UNESCO should not look to Canada to fill that budget hole," he said. "They'll have to go to the countries who supported this resolution, that caused this budget loophole."

On Monday, the United States said it had stopped funding UNESCO, following its vote to grant the Palestinians full membership.

U.S. State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters Monday the United States had no choice but to halt funding because of U.S. laws passed in the 1990s, saying Washington would not make a planned $60-million transfer that was due in November.

"The United States . . . remains strongly committed to robust, multilateral engagement across the UN system. However, Palestinian membership as a state in UNESCO triggers long-standing legislative restrictions which will compel the United States to refrain from making contributions to UNESCO," Nuland said.

Canada was one of 14 nations to vote against the motion to accept the Palestinians into UNESCO. Some 107 members approved the motion, while 52 others, including Japan and Britain, abstained.

UNESCO's vote was part of a bid by the Palestinians to gain full statehood status through the United Nations. Canada has said it would not support a UN resolution to recognize Palestine as a country and the U.S. has said it would veto such a resolution.

Baird reiterated the government's position on Tuesday, saying Israel and Palestine should come to a peace agreement themselves not use the UN as an end-run around the process.

Nuland called UNESCO's decision to admit the Palestinians as a member was "regrettable, premature and undermines our shared goal of a comprehensive, just and lasting peace in the Middle East."

On Monday, interim Liberal leader Bob Rae said Canada should not stop its subsidies to UNESCO.

"We've said very clearly an enduring agreement in the Middle East requires the approval of both parties," Rae said. "But, you know, the reality is that we're not going to get ourselves into a situation where we're cutting funding every time we get a resolution out of the UN that we don't like."

Any country that stops paying UNESCO for two consecutive years loses its vote in the cultural body.

With files from Agence France-Presse and Reuters

rhiltz@postmedia.com

Twitter.com/robert_hiltz

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/Canada+ax...#ixzz1cYtUPnXY
    http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...117/story.html

They should just replace the word "Canada" with "Harper". Harper is the worst that could've happened to Canada, however the rest of Canada are stupid enough to vote him into office. Never thought I'd actually support a sovereign Quebec, but if Canada keeps going downhill like this I might end up changing my mind.
    Last edited by Irenor; 11-02-2011 at 17:29.
    Irenor Rainstone
    "Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

9000+

Never understood why there's such a drama about Palestine wanting to be a part of the UN. Is it because Israel won't be able to create new settlements in Palestinian territory if they are?
    Fuck you.

Quote Originally Posted by Aragoni View Post
    Never understood why there's such a drama about Palestine wanting to be a part of the UN. Is it because Israel won't be able to create new settlements in Palestinian territory if they are?
    There is a long standing issue between Israeli and Palestinians, with Israel attempting to gain some territory. Some US Cables released by Wikileaks also showed that Israel was doing it's best to keep the money going to Palestine as low as possible, basically just enough so they can stay at the poverty level. There's actually a lot of stories like this if you just google Wikileaks-Israel-Palestine.

At least by being approved at the UNESCO, it will hinder Israel's actions.
    Last edited by Irenor; 11-02-2011 at 16:37.
    Irenor Rainstone
    "Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Banned

Harper has been elected for everything but his hardline support of Israel. Canadians have a majority negative public opinion on Israel and most universities participate in Israeli-apartheid week, but only this conservative government has been so fucked, even more extreme then the U.S's support.

Past conservatives ones have criticized Israeli policies, among them Brian Mulroney.

This is the world-policy decline for Canada as it becomes less of an independent peace-keeping force and more of an American sockpuppet.

3000+ Long term follower

Why shouldn't Canada support Israel? It's a way better country than some craphole arab ones. The people are friendly, not mean hateful islamic terrorists, they have nice gay pride parades, they have world leading technologic developments to help contribute to society. Where would you rather go? To Tel-Aviv and party with hot IDF girls or to Hamas city and see burka women go by (if they are let outside of house). A country like Canada would have to be insane to support crazy islamic fundamentalist arab countries over Israel.

I don't know why French-Canadians are so proud to be anti-israel, it's like yay, we support violent terrorists who hate us over tolerant democracies, go us!!! I guess jew hating is in the French genetics. Look at the way all the French people started goose stepping along and singing horst wessel after June 1940.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Krag View Post
    Why shouldn't Canada support Israel? It's a way better country than some craphole arab ones. The people are friendly, not mean hateful islamic terrorists, they have nice gay pride parades, they have world leading technologic developments to help contribute to society. Where would you rather go? To Tel-Aviv and party with hot IDF girls or to Hamas city and see burka women go by (if they are let outside of house). A country like Canada would have to be insane to support crazy islamic fundamentalist arab countries over Israel.
    The only technological developments Israel (I exclude people of Jewish descent) has spearheaded are tied to weapons industry with a mild focus on urban warfare.
    Also Jewish women are world renown for their ugliness (kind of hard to fit that big nose into a pretty face). I have never liked a Jewish woman for her looks. It was either accent (very peculiar) or her wits/humor (I love Jewish humor) that got me interested.

(I am posting just because I enjoy trolling the fuck out of you.)

Hopefully France won't back out on this...

3000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrogenium View Post
    (I am posting just because I enjoy trolling the fuck out of you.)
    oh wow, mission succeeded.

10,000+

Shit is about to get real in Israel.

7000+

Quote Originally Posted by Irenor View Post
    They should just replace the word "Canada" with "Harper". Harper is the worst that could've happened to Canada, however the rest of Canada are stupid enough to vote him into office. Never thought I'd actually support a sovereign Quebec, but if Canada keeps going downhill like this I might end up changing my mind.
    Well. I'm all for an independent Québec, not necessarily a country though.

We need to have our own constitution because we are so different from the rest of Canada. Sovereignty is just a last resort.

Harper has been elected for everything but his hardline support of Israel. Canadians have a majority negative public opinion on Israel and most universities participate in Israeli-apartheid week, but only this conservative government has been so fucked, even more extreme then the U.S's support.

Past conservatives ones have criticized Israeli policies, among them Brian Mulroney.

This is the world-policy decline for Canada as it becomes less of an independent peace-keeping force and more of an American sockpuppet.
    Harper's conservative party is as conservative as they would be in the US. In fact it is more conservative then the current president and probably the next one, if it changes.

I don't know why French-Canadians are so proud to be anti-israel, it's like yay, we support violent terrorists who hate us over tolerant democracies, go us!!! I guess jew hating is in the French genetics. Look at the way all the French people started goose stepping along and singing horst wessel after June 1940.
    Jeeze I wonder what can quebecers have in common with Palestinians... let me take a wild guess... Not being in control of what we do with our home, our country. That's a good start. I dont have anything against jews or arabs for that matter but that's not about religion, that's about jacking someone's shit. Ask any texan to give you his right to wear arms.

Québec is to Canada what Texas is to the US and Palestine is to Israel.

At least Canada has the decency of not bombing the fuck out of us.
    Last edited by Ragnarok Delrhe; 11-02-2011 at 20:12.

3000+ Long term follower

lol yeah Quebec are so fucking oppressed, the province is basically a giant concentration camp (when it's not being considered one of the best places in the world to live!). Let us conveniently forgot that the seperatist movement in Quebec has been defeated twice in seperation referedums in the past 30 years, so when you talk about seperation for Quebec you are representing an angry and deluded minority who cannot have their way by the democratic process.

Furthermore, by comparing yourself to palestinians, you really want to align your cause with terrorism and religious/ethnic hatred? Terrible post.

10,000+ Long term follower

lol yeah Quebec are so fucking oppressed, the province is basically a giant concentration camp (when it's not being considered one of the best places in the world to live!). Let us conveniently forgot that the seperatist movement in Quebec has been defeated twice in seperation referedums in the past 30 years, so when you talk about seperation for Quebec you are representing an angry and deluded minority who cannot have their way by the democratic process.

Furthermore, by comparing yourself to palestinians, you really want to align your cause with terrorism and religious/ethnic hatred? Terrible post.
    Yes, deluded minority.....

with 50.58% voting "No" and 49.42% voting "Yes" vote differential of 54,288

After exhaustive verifications, the DGEQ found that 56,000 out of the 100,000 did not have the right to vote and should be removed from the list in the future.

Statistics compiled by Citizenship and Immigration Canada show that some 43,855 new Quebecers obtained their Canadian citizenship during 1995. About one quarter of these (11,429) were granted their citizenship during the month of October. The data also shows an increase in certificate issuances by 87% between 1993 and 1995. The year 1996 saw a drop of 39%.[48]
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
    If 3/4 of all the money spent on defense was diverted into education funds, public school would be dirt cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Sparrow View Post
    99% of human resource offices are paid for by grants (non-tax dollars).

7000+

I was comparing Québec to Canada with Texas to the USA. (not in the same way at all. but it's still a similar comparison) I think however the difference between Québec and the rest of Canada is pretty much as significant as the difference between Israel and Palestine.

In my opinion, Canada is still pretty much a British dominion.I mean you all still worship the crown like it's the 18th century. I'm pro independence, not pro separation. There's a difference. I want to be in control of my money, my laws, etc.
    I do not want my fucking navy/air force to be renamed the ROYAL canadian navy or ROYAL canadian air force. FFS.

PS: And I dont want 55k immigrants a year either.
    Last edited by Ragnarok Delrhe; 11-02-2011 at 23:13.

Banned

What the fuck are you talking about, French-Canadians? The numbers are quite similar in Ontario and British Columbia the Maritimes and any other place not deluded by some God-given right to steal land.

Aside from that, hurr crazy muslims and shit, let's generalize the fuck out of everything because I'm too stupid to think and read.

Quote Originally Posted by StainlessSteelRat View Post
    Yes, deluded minority.....

with 50.58% voting "No" and 49.42% voting "Yes" vote differential of 54,288

After exhaustive verifications, the DGEQ found that 56,000 out of the 100,000 did not have the right to vote and should be removed from the list in the future.

Statistics compiled by Citizenship and Immigration Canada show that some 43,855 new Quebecers obtained their Canadian citizenship during 1995. About one quarter of these (11,429) were granted their citizenship during the month of October. The data also shows an increase in certificate issuances by 87% between 1993 and 1995. The year 1996 saw a drop of 39%.[48]
    I have no idea what you are verifying, but about 80% of French Canadians voted yes. The 50% that voted were English-speakers from Montreal and Eastern Quebec as well as aboriginals in the north.

Anyways yeah it was at a very divided time, but Anglo-French relations have been kind of solid according to my Montreal friends. Relations have been at the best it has ever been right now and it would just be shit to divide Quebec English-speakers from French ones.

Not opposed to Quebec autonomy though.
    Last edited by StrawberryClock; 11-02-2011 at 23:41.