Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Default CPU upgrade vs Graphics card

So I got BF3 and it seems OKAY. I got it on lowest settings because I don't care if it looks like balls. (it looks great even low) My problem is that during intense fights or just randomly the game itself lags hard or I get mouse lag, while one is worse than the other... both give me too many opportunities to imagine myself nerd raging if I had that personality.

I have AM3 socket with AMD Athlon II X4 630.
    I have ATI Radeon HD 4600.

I call upon the nerdiness of Forumfall to inform me what I should do that will be cheap but also make BF3 run smooth.

If you want to know more specs here:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...link=ot_search

Quote Originally Posted by Reigngod View Post
    Deductive reasoning has noing to do with logic. In fact deductive reasoning is illogical. Go define logic and come back to the discussion an educated man.

New GPU, a 6870 or 6950, about 200$ and you'll run it smoothly on high settings.

Just make sure your power supply is up to par. You don't want a cheap one.

Yummy.

7000+

Quote Originally Posted by PirateGlen View Post
    So I got BF3 and it seems OKAY. I got it on lowest settings because I don't care if it looks like balls. (it looks great even low) My problem is that during intense fights or just randomly the game itself lags hard or I get mouse lag, while one is worse than the other... both give me too many opportunities to imagine myself nerd raging if I had that personality.

I have AM3 socket with AMD Athlon II X4 630.
    I have ATI Radeon HD 4600.

I call upon the nerdiness of Forumfall to inform me what I should do that will be cheap but also make BF3 run smooth.

If you want to know more specs here:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...link=ot_search
    You made 2 fatal mistake, but do not get discouraged, they're both the same company. Your mistakes were buying from AMD/ATI. Go buy real gear. in your case a graphic card is highly required, even going with ATI.

Join us on Twitch or on our forums!

Normal User

BF3 does have a pretty neat lil graph built into the game that shows the latency in communication between the game and CPU / GPU via a 2-colored graph, which would be really helpful to determine wether it's your CPU or GPU that is lacking the most.

Basicly, you'll be wanting a smooth line as close to the bottom as possible, since it is measuring the latency in MS. A spiky graph indicates that the hardware is not able to cope with what the game is requiring of it at that certain event.

http://www.qbasix.com/BF3%20perf%20graph.JPG

More info can be found in this topic -> http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/b...-goodness.html
    Last edited by Malikye; 10-28-2011 at 10:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikye View Post
    BF3 does have a pretty neat lil graph built into the game that shows the latency in communication between the game and CPU / GPU via a 2-colored graph, which would be really helpful to determine wether it's your CPU or GPU that is lacking the most.

Basicly, you'll be wanting a smooth line as close to the bottom as possible, since it is measuring the latency in MS. A spiky graph indicates that the hardware is not able to cope with what the game is requiring of it at that certain event.

http://www.qbasix.com/BF3%20perf%20graph.JPG

More info can be found in this topic -> http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/b...-goodness.html
    Thanks this is showing LOTS of variation and lots of spikes mostly in CPU. The GPU seems to just keep pace with whatever the CPU is at.

Deductive reasoning has noing to do with logic. In fact deductive reasoning is illogical. Go define logic and come back to the discussion an educated man.

5000+

cards fine especially if you use ATI tray tools for the proper ATI overdrive, but your cpu has gotta go and its probably old/dusty/inefficient in addition to just slow
    Originally Posted by Daggermaniac
    The only DF player that I have expected of Aim Botting is Zato Ichi.

Quote Originally Posted by zato`1 View Post
    cards fine especially if you use ATI tray tools for the proper ATI overdrive, but your cpu has gotta go and its probably old/dusty/inefficient in addition to just slow
    From some research it's possible that I might have disabled L3 cache if it's an older Athlon II but it sounds like I would need a new motherboard to enable ACC to even find out.

19,000+

There is no way that CPU is bottlenecking that piece of shit card, lol. HD4600 is a joke. But both should preferably be upgraded. The Athlon II line isn't a good choice for gaming, it's mostly meant for office / HTPC / your mom's computer. Same story with the HD4600, it's even less suited for modern games.

If you can only upgrade one, I'd recommend the GPU. Get, say, a HD6850. Possibly a HD6870 if the price difference is only a few bucks. If you can upgrade both I'd recommend a bigger GPU like the 6950, along with a new CPU depending on your motherboard. PSU upgrade may be required as well. In fact it probably will if it's just as shit as the rest of your system.

What motherboard do you have?

EDIT: Just clicked the link. Oh my god, the horror. 6GB RAM on an AMD PC (no Dual Channel), micro-ATX motherboard and a 300w power supply. Kill it with fire. And buy a new PC. This one is too far gone to upgrade, seriously. But if you must, get a HD6850/6870 with a new PSU. For a CPU upgrade you'd have to build an entirely new system because I would not trust that micro-ATX board with a high-powered CPU. A lot of them can't handle the wattage required.
    Last edited by Viluin; 10-28-2011 at 15:42.

Normal User

just to let you homos know

i can run everything on high/ultra

with a phenom x2 3.2 ghz
    8 gig ram
    evega 570 gpu

So this game is mostly GPU intensive, the cpu is important but not that important, not saying you can run it with a shitty cpu lolz
    Last edited by Kuruptix; 10-28-2011 at 16:58.

I started the Forumfall Hairstyle Meme.

How on the earth u play with Intergrated graphics???????????????

go get at least a 6870

7000+

Quote Originally Posted by Kuruptix View Post
    just to let you homos know

i can run everything on high/ultra

with a phenom x2 3.2 ghz
    8 gig ram
    evega 570 gpu

So this game is mostly GPU intensive, the cpu is important but not that important, not saying you can run it with a shitty cpu lolz
    the difference between medium settings and ultra is highly GPU related, in every game. For exemple, in darkfall I didnt have more fps with my gtx 470 compared to my 2 sli gtx 275 until I put shadows to max then the difference was almost catastrophic for the gtx 275s.

Join us on Twitch or on our forums!

The CPU handles different things than the GPU. Primarily physics and some effects and particles. It's not the primary factor for gaming and even if it's your bottleneck you will still get high fps, but also more swing (your fps will dip more when those physics and effects come into play).

Your current PC is truly horrible man, sorry. I wouldn't upgrade upon further examination, you'd have to buy a new motherboard psu and GPU plus a new cpu..

Yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Viluin View Post
    There is no way that CPU is bottlenecking that piece of shit card, lol. HD4600 is a joke. But both should preferably be upgraded. The Athlon II line isn't a good choice for gaming, it's mostly meant for office / HTPC / your mom's computer. Same story with the HD4600, it's even less suited for modern games.

If you can only upgrade one, I'd recommend the GPU. Get, say, a HD6850. Possibly a HD6870 if the price difference is only a few bucks. If you can upgrade both I'd recommend a bigger GPU like the 6950, along with a new CPU depending on your motherboard. PSU upgrade may be required as well. In fact it probably will if it's just as shit as the rest of your system.

What motherboard do you have?

EDIT: Just clicked the link. Oh my god, the horror. 6GB RAM on an AMD PC (no Dual Channel), micro-ATX motherboard and a 300w power supply. Kill it with fire. And buy a new PC. This one is too far gone to upgrade, seriously. But if you must, get a HD6850/6870 with a new PSU. For a CPU upgrade you'd have to build an entirely new system because I would not trust that micro-ATX board with a high-powered CPU. A lot of them can't handle the wattage required.
    The PSU is 600w (but it's still cheap). Ram is 2x 4gb sticks @ 1333 Mhz. What confuses me about the BF3 graphing is that while other people's seem to have 2 lines at different levels my GPU line follows the CPU line. I don't understand how GPU would be the bottleneck if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by ChopSuey View Post
    How on the earth u play with Intergrated graphics???????????????

go get at least a 6870
    It's not integrated.

19,000+

Quote Originally Posted by PirateGlen View Post
    The PSU is 600w (but it's still cheap). Ram is 2x 4gb sticks @ 1333 Mhz. What confuses me about the BF3 graphing is that while other people's seem to have 2 lines at different levels my GPU line follows the CPU line. I don't understand how GPU would be the bottleneck if that's the case.
    Hmm, so your setup is not the same as the PC you linked.

Can you post a screenshot of the graph?

With that PSU you should have enough room for a reasonable GPU upgrade, such as the HD6850 or HD6870. I wouldn't go any higher though, due to the mediocre CPU. Do you know what model the PSU is? Or you could look at the sticker on the PSU and tell us how many amps it has on the 12v line(s).
    Last edited by Viluin; 10-28-2011 at 22:30.