Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    4000+

Default Obama targets publishers for running MMJ ads.

One more step towards a totalitarian regime.

You Can't Say That on TV: U.S. Attorney Promises to Target Medical Marijuana Advertising
    Peter Suderman | October 12, 2011

The Obama administration isn't just cracking down on individuals and organizations that sell medical marijuana. It's now threatening to go after publishers and broadcasters that run ads for pot dispensaries in a state where medical marijuana is legal.

Federal prosecutors are preparing to target newspapers, radio stations and other media outlets that advertise medical marijuana dispensaries in California, another escalation in the Obama administration's newly invigorated war against the state's pot industry.

This month, U.S. attorneys representing four districts in California announced that the government would single out landlords and property owners who rent buildings or land where dispensaries sell or cultivators grow marijuana. Now, newspapers and other media outlets could be next.

U.S. Attorney Laura E. Duffy, whose district includes Imperial and San Diego counties, said marijuana advertising is the next area she's "going to be moving onto as part of the enforcement efforts in Southern California." Duffy said she could not speak for the three other U.S. attorneys covering the state, but noted their efforts have been coordinated so far.

"I'm not just seeing print advertising," Duffy said in an interview with California Watch and KQED. "I'm actually hearing radio and seeing TV advertising. It's gone mainstream. Not only is it inappropriate – one has to wonder what kind of message we're sending to our children – it's against the law."

Of course, she means that it's against federal law. California voters approved the legalization of medical marijuana in 1996. The difference ought to matter; in 2008, President Obama promised that when it came to medical marijuana, he wouldn't interfere with local legalization. "I'm not going to be using Justice Department resources to try to circumvent state laws on this issue," he said. But as Senior Editor Jacob Sullum noted this morning, four U.S. attorneys in California announced last week that they would be stepping up enforcement against the state's medical pot distributors.

Duffy has apparently taken that as a license to go after publishers as well:

Duffy said she believes the law gives her the right to prosecute newspaper publishers or TV station owners.

"If I own a newspaper ... or I own a TV station, and I'm going to take in your money to place these ads, I'm the person who is placing these ads," Duffy said. "I am willing to read (the law) expansively and if a court wants to more narrowly define it, that would be up to the court."

Why the sudden burst of enforcement action? Has someone been hurt by the advertising, or by the dispensaries that buy ad space? Later in the article, Duffy allows that the law that legalized medical marijuana had "good intentions." But those good intensions, she tells California Watch, "have almost completely been taken over by people who are trying to use that permission law to get rich, to distribute marijuana and traffic drugs to people who aren't sick, to our youth and to people who are using drugs on a recreational basis." As Sullum noted, the focus on profit would seem to suggest that the recent crackdown won't apply to the state's many non-profit dispensaries. But that seems unlikely (at best) since although many of the state's pot clubs claim nonprofit status, federal prosecutors, according to the San Jose Mercury News, have "disputed that assertion, leaving unclear which outfits they might consider legitimate." What's most telling about Duffy's laundry list of non-horrors, though, is that altough she decries pot-seller profits and sales to recreational users, she doesn't even attempt to describe any actual harm caused by either. Perhaps that's because there is none.

Read Jacob Sullum's October 2011 cover story on how President Obama turned out to be just another drug warrior.
    So, Obama's cracking down on Freedom of Speech. I guess we're witnessing the beginning of the War on Words.

I love how the hypocritical U.S. Attorney says "I'm actually hearing radio and seeing TV advertising. It's gone mainstream. Not only is it inappropriate – one has to wonder what kind of message we're sending to our children". Funny, I've never once heard her get on her bitchy soapbox about alcohol ads.

Please, do your fellow humans a favor this coming election and vote against corporate puppets. Don't be fooled by party lines, a vote for Obama is still a vote for enslaving the middle and lower class.
    Last edited by bongloads; 10-14-2011 at 02:36.

1000+

Not sure why Obama doesn't see it as a liability, alienating people considering themselves "progressive" from whatever party. Especially since he's smoked weed, and inhaled.

I mean the only thing that keeps me from 100% jumping ship to RP, is RP supporters on here...

There are 3 new dispensaries within 4 blocks of my house, they don't seem to be scared, yet. But several of our "free" local papers are loaded with MMJ ads and I'm sure it will hurt their businesses by not being allowed to allow people to place those ads.
    Last edited by tehWise; 10-14-2011 at 02:43.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tehWise View Post
    I mean the only thing that keeps me from 100% jumping ship to RP, is RP supporters on here...
    Because that's who RP takes orders from...

Also. Can't be bothered. Random reality show with "American" in its name is about to start.

Bread and circus. That's what the fuck matters.
    Last edited by Bissen; 10-14-2011 at 02:52.

Quote Originally Posted by bongloads View Post
    One more step towards a totalitarian regime.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Emolas View Post
    This one will stop laughing once it's his toes being stepped on.

It's funny because he actually believes it.

Edit: Also, I don't understand how you can both be a corporate puppet and be moving towards a totalitarian regime. Pick one.

Inb4 some explanation that bends the terms to your liking.
    Last edited by Emolas; 10-14-2011 at 02:53.

Banned

It's funny because he actually believes it.
    Why shouldn't it be believed? Are you living in a different reality? Ain't removing free speech a step down the slope towards tyranny?

Edit: Also, I don't understand how you can both be a corporate puppet and be moving towards a totalitarian regime. Pick one
    Wtf are you blabbering about you numbskulled peabrained fucktard of previously unknown proportions?

Why the fuck does one exclude the other?

Inb4 some explanation that bends the terms to your liking.
    Yeah. Because you sure didn't?

In your version of a free society, the removal of free speech is two thumbs up.
    Last edited by Bissen; 10-14-2011 at 03:02.

8000+

Quote Originally Posted by tehWise View Post

Lol Exactly. I can almost put up with the ideology I don't particularly agree with if it'd get troops home and be a starting point for structural change... but nearly every RP supporter I know is an incompetent moronic dick.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Vertigo View Post
    Lol Exactly. I can almost put up with the ideology I don't particularly agree with if it'd get troops home and be a starting point for structural change... but nearly every RP supporter I know is an incompetent moronic dick.
    Lol see if we 'incompetent moronic dicks' care if you vote for obama or any of the rebublican clowns. The joke's on you if you dont vote for the better candidate only because your stereotype of his supporters upsets you. I hope you realize that. And actually, wouldn't you be an incompetent moronic dick for not voting for someone for a petty reason such as that?

Obama said he would respect states rights on medical MJ, he also said he'd end the war. He is a worthless president and a wuss. And needless to say romney and perry are both a joke.
    -Kael Trighton-

Banned

Hilarious shit right here. Bitches wanting more of the same.

8000+

Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    You have said this to me no less than 3 times and I've come back with the same thing every damn time. I don't even know if it's worth repeating because you have repeatedly ignored post and just spewed what ever it was you were gonna spew... but here I go again:

I don't want "more of the same", I want some real structural change. However, Libertarian change is not the "only" way, there are plenty of ways to fix the system or change to a better system than giving the tools we already dislike today to the states. It's just silly, naive, ignorant and its supporters are the same dumb shits (like you) that spout nonsense and don't really even understand what they are talking about. You are a mouthpiece for others that actually have opinions, you read what others say and you parrot it and I have a hard time aligning myself with some ignorant and overtly arrogant twats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    Not like any US politician would change shit.

People are taught at a very young age that Marijuana is a dangerous narcotic when it really isn't. There's your problem.
    http://i.imgur.com/vSFvJ.png

lol, "i'm voting obama/romney cuz i don't like a guy on the darkfall forums who supports ron paul"
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=380771&date  line=1345590091

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Forker View Post
    lol, "i'm voting obama/romney cuz i don't like a guy on the darkfall forums who supports ron paul"
    No, more like they exacerbate the 20% in an 80/20 toss up, that causes real hesitation.

Basically I don't want to vote for Obama, but I also don't want to COMPLETELY ELIMINATE:

-Dept of Energy
    -Environmental Protection Agency
    -Food & Drug Admin
    -Occupational Health & Safety Admin
    -Federal Trade Commission
    -National Labor Relations Board
    -Federal Bureau of Investigation
    -Central Intelligence Agency
    -Federal Reserve
    -Social Security
    -Welfare
    -Public Schools
    -Taxation
    A vote for libertarians forwards the interests of the Koch brothers more than my own, which most of you are too stupid to realize or understand.

Koch industries, look it up.