Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast
    2000+

Default New study may shed light on biological difference between believers and atheists

Enjoy.

A study published in the most recent volume of the Journal of Neuroscience may shed some light on the question of what makes a religious person able to believe in beings and experiences that atheists often scoff at. As many have suggested, there very well may be a basic structural difference in the brains of believers and atheists.

In this study (abstract), researchers examined the brain structure of their subjects, looking especially at a fold in the brain matter called the paracingulate sulcus (PCS). In subjects where the PCS was more developed, the ability to separate reality from imagination was greater than in subjects that lacked a well-developed fold. This finding supports earlier research showing that people suffering from schizophrenia, a condition often marked by auditory hallucinations and a poor grasp of reality, do indeed lack or have a less-developed PCS.

Speaking specifically of these schizophrenic hallucinations, lead researcher Jon Simons stated: “Difficulty distinguishing real from imagined information might be an explanation for such hallucinations. For example, the person might imagine the voice but misattribute it as being real.”

While the focus of this and similar research tends toward explanation of schizophrenia and other recognized mental illnesses, the implications of this study in the sphere of religious debate are quite stunning. Could this difference in brain anatomy, or one similar to it, explain the readiness of some to accept religious belief or to give credence to spiritual experiences and personal revelations?

Certainly more research would have to be done before we could claim to understand where god-belief comes from, but this research and the ever-expanding understanding of neuroscience hold amazing potential for unraveling these mysteries.
    Last edited by Deltus; 10-11-2011 at 12:19.

5000+

Also religionists have been shown not to care about being right and thus are able to keep their delusions by not seeking evidence and ignoring evidence presented to them.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

5000+

Lol, why am I not surprised, I've had arguments with this person who claimed to hear the voice of Jesus or God and I pulled the insanity card on them, I guess I probably wasn't to far off.
    Frumpy Lump's rage
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    He said consumers make jobs appear. Let him explain how that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    I've done shit you probably would faint from even thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    At least I get to fuck.
    http://www.twitch.tv/makestro

5000+

God talks to me daily, i know he exists

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by Makgyver View Post
    God talks to me daily, i know he exists
    Does he actually say he is God? And even if he did, and it was a supernatural being and God existed and did that kind of stuff daily to hordes of people on Earth, it's probably not Him.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

So only people who hear voices believe in God?
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrin
    The hyped abomination has been slain by the hand of the righteous—let it rot in the pit of death and decay that it has prepared for itself.
    Official Human Advocate

I'm 1.000 in World Wars...

I wonder if we will see religious beliefs listed as a disability in 50 years

5000+

why is it that the vast majority of religious people in developed countries pray, and if asked like 99.9% of them will respond "yes" if asked "does your god answer prayers", but if they were to witness someone being "spoken to by god" all of them would recognize that person as being obviously insane?
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darwin
    "Ignorance begets confidence, more so than does knowledge."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyldor Gwyvallt
    UK made Saudi Arabia a monarchy so they could take over the middle east

So these people thought cartoons were real or what? There comes a time to acknowledge that humans are responsible for the decisions they make(Barring severe mental illness). Not everything can be attributed to a chemical response. If that were the case, all healthy humans would react the same to the same stimuli.

Also the notion of a region of the brain being "less developed" in some than in others is quite laughable. If my voice is deeper than yours, does that imply you have a defect and I don't?
    Last edited by GirlyMan; 10-11-2011 at 15:40.

Girlyman, you are dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyhat View Post
    Girlyman, you are dumb.
    Bah-bah. I'm dumb for advocating humans being responsible for their beliefs and actions? Or I'm dumb for reading an article that's being interpreted by someone with a bias and doesn't provide a link to the actual study so I can see if the researchers have declared a conflict interest? (Which they wouldn't unless it were financial, but regardless..)

Normal User

dont forget they also tryd to prove diffrences between whites and blacks years ago.

I believe in god and im not embarrassed to say it. Bashing religion seems to start becoming a trend. why cant we just all go back to shitting on america? They only invaded for the oil myan like totally, ah the good ol' days.
    Playing Darkfall Since 22nd Of July 2009.

US attack on Iran Unacceptable-Russian Military

IRISH and PROUD.
    Fuck yer honda civic i'va horse outside!

Dammit I thought I had at least 5 more years before they would start with the "clinically, Christianity is a biological disorder" shtick.

Real gold here.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyMan View Post
    Bah-bah. I'm dumb for advocating humans being responsible for their beliefs and actions? Or I'm dumb for reading an article that's being interpreted by someone with a bias and doesn't provide a link to the actual study so I can see if the researchers have declared a conflict interest? (Which they wouldn't unless it were financial, but regardless..)
    You just come off as a dumbo. Someone who believes we humans are somehow above natures law of action reaction, and that our thoughts aren't determined by electrochemical impulses.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeoc View Post
    I believe in god and im not embarrassed to say it.
    And that could be the result of an under developed PCS, nothing wrong with that, it’s just the way you are. I am sure my obsession with girls that have British accents is due to some underdevelopment in my brain, just the way I was made.