Default Mage focusing spells

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a list of things to focus on for the fastest way to be a viable PKer. I do not mean just general things. I am looking for a list of most used spells that would allow me to kill someone fast and effectively. I was told a few basics about some certain things. I have all the transfer spells, and some fire spells. I am working on witchcraft to 75 to get witches brew, I am meditating my strength, int, quick, and vit to 50. My main focus is what spells people use for burst damage to get the job done. Thanks in advance.

1000+

Jump-cast kiting is essential. Don't forget to add jump to those spells or else you will be totally worthless as a spell caster. Most spells are very weak, except for the broken, and overly exploited ones. But everyone will tell you that you need those already. And you will still need great sword mastery for your mage too.

As for spell burst damage, rays are the way to go, as those spells were broken several patches ago.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sicklesmacker View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am looking for a list of things to focus on for the fastest way to be a viable PKer. I do not mean just general things. I am looking for a list of most used spells that would allow me to kill someone fast and effectively. I was told a few basics about some certain things. I have all the transfer spells, and some fire spells. I am working on witchcraft to 75 to get witches brew, I am meditating my strength, int, quick, and vit to 50. My main focus is what spells people use for burst damage to get the job done. Thanks in advance.
    Get some rays to alternate with fireball and whatever 50 skill nuke you want. Rays definitely produce the highest burst damage, the lighting ray and water ray are prob the weakest rays in terms of damage but they can go through terrain. You only want jump on your 50 skill nukes. If you wanted to support ray spamming you would need a good sized mana pool, as they take up much more mana than 50 skill nukes so you will want to take that into consideration.

If anyone is thinking about starting from scratch the fastest way to become viable would be to focus on archery first, conversion spells in lesser magic are the most used spells in the game and can make up for any lack of stamina as a new player.
    Last edited by shamer gamer; 10-01-2011 at 22:04.

Normal User US1 Player

- 100 in Str/Vit/Quick/Int 80 in Wis/Dex Is ideally the stats you want.

-100 Greatsword mastery

-100 sharpshooter

-Archmage, Mana conservation 100

-All of your important spells 75

-Important spells which need to be 75:

All rays to 75 except lightning bolt

2 R90s/100s and inferno(Exploding charge, Virtuous wrath, Inferno are the ones i use)

Eye rot, Confusion, Stormblast, Begone

Transfers, Witches brew, heal self, Spell reflect, Wall of force

Fireball, Magma storm, a Bolt spell (firebolt/Cursed bolt preferably), Toxic rain

hasten spells, Stoneskin (Buff)

Sacrifice, Heal other (for group pvp)

Also, these arent really essential for taking down a vet pvper but its nice to have these spells leveled also

Telekenesis / Launch to 50

Your important Self buffs to 75 (hasten spells, Stoneskin, spell reflect, Stat buffs, fire+lighting shield, Gills, Arrow shield, Adept, Unburden)

As Buffs level up they last ALOT longer, this is mainly why you want them 75. (they also become stronger as well).

Also you are going to want your intensifies to atleast 50 passive.

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/sho...d.php?t=283079

This guide helped me alot, only thing is you will be extremely gimped from ranged with archery and without magic, especially without gearbags that cost ~50k+.
    Last edited by tk123; 10-01-2011 at 13:11.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tk123 View Post
    - 100 in Str/Vit/Quick/Int 80 in Wis/Dex Is ideally the stats you want.

-100 Greatsword mastery

-100 sharpshooter

-Archmage, Mana conservation 100

-All of your important spells 75

-Important spells which need to be 75:

All rays to 75 except lightning bolt

2 R90s/100s and inferno(Exploding charge, Virtuous wrath, Inferno are the ones i use)

Eye rot, Confusion, Stormblast, Begone

Transfers, Witches brew, heal self, Spell reflect, Wall of force

Fireball, Magma storm, a Bolt spell (firebolt/Cursed bolt preferably), Toxic rain

hasten spells, Stoneskin (Buff)

Sacrifice, Heal other (for group pvp)

Also, these arent really essential for taking down a vet pvper but its nice to have these spells leveled also

Telekenesis / Launch to 50

Your important Self buffs to 75 (hasten spells, Stoneskin, spell reflect, Stat buffs, fire+lighting shield, Gills, Arrow shield)

As Buffs level up they last ALOT longer, this is mainly why you want them 75. (they also become stronger as well).

Also you are going to want your intensifies to atleast 50 passive.

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/sho...d.php?t=283079

This guide helped me alot, only thing is you will be extremely gimped from ranged with archery and without magic, especially without gearbags that cost ~50k+.
    He didn't ask what a near finished character looks like, he asked what spells he should focus on so he can start pking asap.

You don't really need all that stuff just to pvp unless you are an absloutly horrible player. I never bothered to raise my rays past 50 and I do just fine. Intensifies are negligible and not something to be conerned about as a new player.
    Last edited by shamer gamer; 09-30-2011 at 23:00.

Normal User US1 Player

Quote Originally Posted by shamer gamer View Post
    He didn't ask what a near finished character looks like, he asked what spells he should focus on so he can start pking asap.

You don't really need all that stuff just to pvp unless you are an absloutly horrible player. I never bothered to raise my rays past 50 and I do just fine. Intensifies are negligible and not something to be conerned about as a new player.
    thats the basic stuff you need or you arent going to be pking alot of people. Sure you can beat vet baddies (even from 2 months in without any magic) but you will never beat anyone good who has good magic without this. How many top players have you beaten?
    Last edited by tk123; 10-01-2011 at 13:22.

Banned

thats the basic stuff you need or you arent going to be pking alot of people. Sure you can beat vet baddies (even from 2 months in without any magic) but you will never beat anyone good who has good magic without this. How many top players have you beaten?
    75 in all rays and 50+ intesifies is basic stuff you need before you can start killing people?

Sorry, you obviously don't know what the hell you are talking about. I am frumpy lumps in case you aren't aware, a top player and I beat lots of top players. I've beaten enyx twice in the two times that I dueled him and he is considered one of the best, since you asked.

Who are you again? oh, right, an unsubbed nobody and troll.

If you think you need intensifies and rays to 75 before you can start pking, you are obviously doing it wrong. That extra +1-2 damage that you would get after hundreds of hours of training, isn't something to be concerned about as a new player, unless you are a moron.
    Last edited by shamer gamer; 10-01-2011 at 20:09.

Normal User US1 Player

Quote Originally Posted by shamer gamer View Post
    75 in all rays and 50+ intesifies is basic stuff you need before you can start killing people?

Sorry, you obviously don't know what the hell you are talking about. I am frumpy lumps in case you aren't aware, a top player and I beat lots of top players. I've beaten enyx twice in the two times that I dueled him and he is considered one of the best.

Who are you again? oh, right, an unsubbed nobody and troll.

If you think you need intensifies and rays to 75 before you can start pking, you are obviously doing it wrong. That extra +1-2 damage that you would get after hundreds of hours of training, isn't something to be concerned about as a new player, unless you are a moron.
    having 50 intensifies and 75 rays is like an extra 10-12 damage if you start at 1. Not to mention with only 50 int and no archmage thats another ~10 points of damage off vs someone who has them maxed. yeah real viable pvp char hitting for 20-22 points less than vets when rays from vets only hit for ~35 to the front in the first place. hey guy u can have viable magic hitting for 15 to the front and going oom after 5 casts!

Anyways im not here to shit talk just help the op. so if you dont mind keeping this thread constructive then im sure it would be appreciated.
    Last edited by tk123; 10-01-2011 at 18:51.

Banned

having 50 intensifies and 75 rays is like an extra 10-12 damage if you start at 1.
    You are wrong. Rays and buffs to 75 and 50+ intensifies are not basic requirements pvp, it takes an extremely long time to raise rays and buffs from 50-75. I know I don't have all my rays at 75 and I've been playing since launch. I do have most of my intensifies at 100 however and 110 int since before meditation.

The difference between 50 and 75, 75-100 ect., in self-buffs is .2 more protections with the exception of stoneskin, which is like .4 If i remember right. Also not something to be concerned about as a new player. Duration is the main benefit but yet haven't bothered to raise my self-buffs past 50 because I consider it to be negligible and not worth the cost, fights usually don't last longer than 10 mins unless it is a siege or you are facing 50 ping bunnyhoppers. It is nice to have some skills that you just want to raise naturally.

Unfortunately, a lot of players find it all to easy to blame not having those skills as the reason that they lost in pvp. I used to hear it all the time at the beginning of the game. "Ohh, those guys have maxed out rigor, otherwise we would have won!". "ohh, that guy had banded armor on and I just had studded leather".

The difference between 50 and 75 and 75-100 in a spell or weapon mastery is about +1-2 damage at most. I have two accounts and I have actually tested it. Nakeds take extra damage and that has to be factored into testing.

Intesifies are like 5% with archmage being another 5% and int is like +1 every 15 points or something like that. There is a little bit of RNG leeway with damage range but it is very small. Also, not many people are aware that there are crits in Darkfall, but the crits are very small crits, like 5%. Also defensive "crits" where you take less damage, probably due to skills like reflex and defense, again very small and infrequent.

It isn't like you can't pk people even if you are doing 10 less damage with a spell. This isn't rockem sockem robots and you can make up differences by catching people off guard and having better aim.

60 str and 60 vit = 375 HP, 110 str, 110 vit = 435 HP. Not that big of a difference.

I was beating people that had magic with bows up untill everyone started getting 100 in multiple magic schools and that was pre-magic nerf.

If you treat combat like a textbook, like it is rockem sockem robots and like you and your opponent are going to land every hit, yea those little stats do matter, but any good player knows he can usually make up the difference with skill.

Everything in the game is like that. Rigor and Ignore pain are two of the main defensive skills that give you .5 protection each, so when you have them both at 100, you take a whopping 1 point less damage from attacks.

Bad players, like TK123 likely is, tend to think you need to have a near finished character before you can pvp because they are so terrible at the game, they think it is the only way they can beat anyone at all. It is pretty obvious that is what is going on here, sadly.

Bad players should not give advice.
    Last edited by shamer gamer; 10-02-2011 at 06:10.

Normal User

holy shit I can't believe I'm agreeing with shamer gamer 0.0

But yeah you guys are either idiots or horrible players to think you need all that to pvp lol

since no one is giving a strait answer I'll try, ok mage wise some top spells-

impale/pungent mist (other rays if you got good aim)
    confusion for blinding can be essential (eyerot is awesome but its higher level)
    fireball/magma storm for juggling (see if your good at it+ combine with rays when airborne)
    a r90 nuke would be great but that can take a bit of grinding
    Cursed bolt for a good long range spamable skill
    If your into AoEs go for toxic rain and inferno

done, that wasn't so hard was it?
    Nao SouthPaw US1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacos
    if you start tricking your users you will feel the consequences later.
    A flu isn't an excuse for delay. It became a game of the community and we're the people who mistreated it.

Default Thanks guys

I didn't want to start a fight or anything lol. I thank you for all of your information. And no worries on who is right or wrong I know where ot start which is great. Thanks again and Happy adventures gaming.
    Help make an MMO at www.tiltedhouse.net and maybe you can be in the next great adventure.