Thread: I need advice!

1000+

Default I need advice!

Hi i really need your advice.

A business advice btw.
    My family for around 20 years has this family business.I will not be more specific about this (anonymity and such),but it is a business highly seasonal.This means that we do the job in the start of january till june and get paid on october till december.It is a very successful business from my perspective cause we can make some money but its also high risk cause of some reasons.These reasons are debts ,and we are drowning inside debts.People are owing us money which over the years have become huge and there is no hope of getting them.

The good is that we do not owe anyone money.

3 years ago we had a discussion and we agreed to start a new business based on the current customer list in the trade section of the job.Since this is also a seasonal job almost the same circumstances apply.We trade our goods in the winter and till then we stock up and get by with the job costs in the other months.

And there lies the problem.
    My father is spending much.He likes to spend and he lives to spend.Not on material things but on good living eating in restaurants inviting friends for diner spending spending spending.

Lately things are not going well with the Greek economy,hings are starting to go downhill fast,people are not paying for worked hours people are not buying trade goods.But he keeps on spending spending spending.
    The problem is that i am not getting payed,i dont have my own money the money are the family's money.And money this time are just enough to get by till the winter for the family and also the business(plural).

I am stuck inside a limbo.I dont spend money myself i care for the business to go well but i cant do this anymore.I want p.e. to buy a guitar to build a partscaster (build a guitar from various parts) and i am trying for 6 months to gather the 300 euros from leftovers of "tips" or other sources (like one time i made an arcade fighting stick and sold it for 150euros) and at the same time my father can spend in 1 day 500 euros just for food and beers and other crap.By the end of the day for 3 years now working 15 hours a day in the winters and 8 hours on the other months i have gathered the sum of 200 euros to spend by myself.Its pathetic i cant even go outside and do some crazy shit after all this work.

I dont like also the begging for money every time i want to go out ,if i had a paycheck i could p.e. not spend some money now and buy shit later.

it might not make sense what i am saying now cause i just got out of a fight with my dad.He went and gave away stocked goods (all together were the price of 2000) for free to some of his friends.I asked him why but he said that it was none of my business what he does with his money.

On the other hand i havent been so right about my life too.I am in the university of mathematics and for the first two and a half years i didnt study much which means that in parallel with the job i have now i am also taking exams to pass the tests.I am very stressed and very cornered right now.

On the one side i dont have the right to complain since i havent been straight with my life but i am struggling to get by with the current situation cause i cant take it anymore like this.Thats why i am stuck in limbo.

I also have talked with my dad for a paycheck since we have started the operation but he is telling me that the economics are not going well and that by the next year we will see it through.(this is happening for 3 years now).

I need advice what shall i do.I know that this is forumfall but someone can help me in the internets.

One last edit:

From what i have seen till now the problem is that "Share victory,share defeat" does not apply.I am not sharing the victory but i am sharing the defeat"
    Last edited by Madrandomize; 09-15-2011 at 19:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan791 View Post
    Άντε ρε Τάσο τί θα γίνει με αυτό το παιχνίδι θα κυκλοφορήσει ποτέ?

invest all your money into your local bakery

Tell your father to pay you a reasonable set paycheck so you can live an adult life. If he refuses, tell him that you will work out the rest of the month, then you are going to try and find alternative employment.

Sounds like your father is still treating you like a kid, and also a free worker. If you stand up for yourself like a man, and try and work it out, you will probably come away from this either with more respect and reasonable pay from your family business, or with the knowledge that you need to forge out into the world and make your own way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevron View Post
    I play Halo and I'm autistic.

1000+

Thanx for the advice :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Blood View Post
    invest all your money into your local bakery
    And buy what? 3 slices of bread and 1 cup of ice cream?

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema View Post
    Tell your father to pay you a reasonable set paycheck so you can live an adult life. If he refuses, tell him that you will work out the rest of the month, then you are going to try and find alternative employment.

Sounds like your father is still treating you like a kid, and also a free worker. If you stand up for yourself like a man, and try and work it out, you will probably come away from this either with more respect and reasonable pay from your family business, or with the knowledge that you need to forge out into the world and make your own way.
    I am too much of a pussy to start something on my own i admit that,other than that i dont think we can make a conversation with my father,i have tried many times but we always end up shouting at each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan791 View Post
    Άντε ρε Τάσο τί θα γίνει με αυτό το παιχνίδι θα κυκλοφορήσει ποτέ?

If you let the argument control you, you already lost the argument. The only reason he starts screaming is because he knows you have a valid point and realizes he is in the wrong.

Until you man up and stand up to him you are never going to change anything.

Good luck, but it's your only option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevron View Post
    I play Halo and I'm autistic.

If you are resourceful, industrious and in need of some extra cash, maybe you could start your own small side-business.

You could earn enough money for your guitar or whatever you want the money for if you can figure out something that would be interesting to tourists but not offered by anyone else. For example, when I was in Greece a few years ago, there was some guy selling Mandalas. It was quite a simple contraption made of steel wire which definitely cost him less than $1 to make but he was selling them for $10 each and they were going off his hands quite fast. He was so successful because he was the only guy selling the product, he had the know-how to make the product himself and he invented a cool story for the product.

If you have no business idea, in this age you can earn the 300 euros you need just playing computer games. Let's take a game called Navyfield as an example. I started playing that game in 2006 and in 2008 sold my battleship crews for $600. I never payed anything for the game and I played it probably 400-500 hours in total. Another guy got $400 out of Navyfield and bought himself a new laptop.

6000+

Quote Originally Posted by Hyphelion View Post
    If you are resourceful, industrious and in need of some extra cash, maybe you could start your own small side-business.

You could earn enough money for your guitar or whatever you want the money for if you can figure out something that would be interesting to tourists but not offered by anyone else. For example, when I was in Greece a few years ago, there was some guy selling Mandalas. It was quite a simple contraption made of steel wire which definitely cost him less than $1 to make but he was selling them for $10 each and they were going off his hands quite fast. He was so successful because he was the only guy selling the product, he had the know-how to make the product himself and he invented a cool story for the product.

If you have no business idea, in this age you can earn the 300 euros you need just playing computer games. Let's take a game called Navyfield as an example. I started playing that game in 2006 and in 2008 sold my battleship crews for $600. I never payed anything for the game and I played it probably 400-500 hours in total. Another guy got $400 out of Navyfield and bought himself a new laptop.
    i played this shitty game called darkfall and cant even sell the acc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilio View Post
    You can't educate people that do not want to be educated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Vertigo View Post
    Dunning-Kruger, showing the internet as a parody of the human race since 1999.

I understand family bonds and conventions // traditions can compel you to work as a slave without realize it, but you already are realize this now.

You have two options, the first is to speak with your family and ask for a decent wage, or get a different job entirely.

Yummy.