Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5000+ Long term follower

Default Planetside 2- Confirmed F2P

http://www.planetside-universe.com/n...edley-2538.htm

Smedley(SOE-president) hints "we like League of Legends a lot" as a F2P model.

Also, the beta will start by the end of this year.

Interesting if its going to be like LoL- maybe a LoL/Tf2 kind of thing, skins and...

I like hats
    Last edited by CattBoy; 09-09-2011 at 02:03. Reason: link broken der
    - The one and only -
    My Videos

wtb df2010

Fuck you! I like hats more!

5000+

Scares me because in LoL there really isn't much they could add that gives a person investing in riot points and advantage except being able to save ip for runes. where as in PS2 if they aren't getting enough money they could do what EA did with the f2p Battlefield games and easily add in items that give players advantages.
    Frumpy Lump's rage
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    He said consumers make jobs appear. Let him explain how that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    I've done shit you probably would faint from even thinking
    At least I get to fuck.
    http://www.twitch.tv/makestro

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Makestro View Post
    Scares me because in LoL there really isn't much they could add that gives a person investing in riot points and advantage except being able to save ip for runes. where as in PS2 if they aren't getting enough money they could do what EA did with the f2p Battlefield games and easily add in items that give players advantages.
    LoL could do the same thing... that doesn't mean they will. PS2 seems hyped enough that if the game is anywhere near half decent they should get enough people playing to get a decent paying user base.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manifoldgodhead View Post
    Sometimes you're on top of the world sometimes you're not. You live, you learn and you keep coming back, because no persistent world I have ever played has offered anything like what DF offers.
    http://www.darkfallonline.com/buydar...D0751BDF5BDC2F

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by Shrang View Post
    LoL could do the same thing... that doesn't mean they will. PS2 seems hyped enough that if the game is anywhere near half decent they should get enough people playing to get a decent paying user base.
    How could LoL do the same thing? let me set this straight. LoL's model works so well because people tend to buy a lot of riot points as they level so they can save their IP for runes and spend RP on champions. The RP they spend gives them no real advantage except they have a bigger pool of champions to choose from what doesn't give an in game boost, excluding a certain champion being OP for a patch. So unless SOE builds a system that mimics that it has a very high chance to fall into the same path the f2p battlefield games did(and until they release the details we wont truly know, but I find it very hard for them to pump out new weapons for all 3 factions in a timely enough fashion to encourage spending irl money). the original f2p battlefield game had a bunch of cosmetic things you could buy but they didn't generate very much revenue. Zato posted a video about it, and unless it's done perfectly I see SOE selling items that give players an advantage.

SOE fucks up almost everything they touch, what is why I'm worried the game is going to end up a pay to win game.
    Frumpy Lump's rage
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    He said consumers make jobs appear. Let him explain how that happens.
    I've done shit you probably would faint from even thinking
    At least I get to fuck.
    http://www.twitch.tv/makestro

8000+ Long term follower Tenebrion's Avatar

Hopefully they don't fuck it up. It's really such a shame that this new """free to play""" model has become so lucrative that it's replacing the subscription model.

Enchanting Information

Darkfall : It needs more cows
    -Lord Tenebrion
    The Mercenary Merchant :
    Most Powerful Man In Agon.

5000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by Makestro View Post

SOE fucks up almost everything they touch, what is why I'm worried the game is going to end up a pay to win game.
    i totally agree with this... Unfortuantly i do have faith that the game will be very enjoyable until soe implments items that are purchaseable, only... Which makes players like myself steer clear of a game.

I wil farm till my fingers bend and break, but im not going to shell out cash for items i can easily get... PLAYING THE DAMN GAME

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrion View Post
    Hopefully they don't fuck it up. It's really such a shame that this new """free to play""" model has become so lucrative that it's replacing the subscription model.
    All these offline skill systems and f2p models in my eyes tend to take away from the game and make them more... Stagnant
    Last edited by CattBoy; 09-09-2011 at 15:25.
    - The one and only -
    My Videos

wtb df2010

3000+ Long term follower

So what's it going to be? Buying XP points so you can unlock skills/certs faster than leveling?

I don't like this...

With a subscription the devs are focused on making the game better overall to attract and retain subs. That includes stuff like adding and improving core game systems.

With a F2P system they'll be under constant pressure to keep adding new items and skills for players to buy, cuz that pays the bills. Also they'll be under pressure to make the new items and skills attractive to buy (not just superfluous gimmicks), which means juicing their power.

For a game that has already admitted a lot of depth systems (like dynamic weather) won't be in at release but they have an ambitious content patching schedule, the pressure to churn out new revenue generating items will be a distraction to the devs also.

They can deny this all they want, and claim it will all be fair, but there's always going to be a temptation to add must-have items to boost profits when all revenue flows through this, and the easiest way to make it must-have is to add +1 to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrion View Post
    I just wrote about this today.

I don't think it is a bad thing, but it has to be done the right way. I think LoL's model is good since money spent doesn't yield any kind of in-game advantage. This isn't Riot though making PS2, so we have to wait and see.

10,000+

Quote Originally Posted by CattBoy View Post
    i totally agree with this... Unfortuantly i do have faith that the game will be very enjoyable until soe implments items that are purchaseable, only... Which makes players like myself steer clear of a game.

I wil farm till my fingers bend and break, but im not going to shell out cash for items i can easily get... PLAYING THE DAMN GAME

All these offline skill systems and f2p models in my eyes tend to take away from the game and make them more... Stagnant
    TF2 going free to play was the worst thing Valve could have done. Since the game went free to play...

It feels like Valve purposfully went around to every special education class they could find, forcefully loaded the game onto their computer systems and are ow making the special ed students play the game.

TF2 is filled with dumb fucks who make retarded Gibbons look intelligent.

Some of the dumbest mother fuckers I have ever gamed with are now playing TF2.

It almost makes me want to start console gaming so that I could play with some slightly more intelligent players.

The players are so fucking stupid that if one person says something, the whole flock of retarded parrots squawk the same fucking thing. One person says Troll, they all start repeating troll. One person says cool story, they all start saying it. Its like gamers are now unoriginal fucks who cant think for themselves.
    Last edited by [LoD] EE; 09-09-2011 at 15:59.

6000+

some of the dumbest motherfuckers play darkfall.
    check eu clan discussion
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilio View Post
    You can't educate people that do not want to be educated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Vertigo View Post
    Dunning-Kruger, showing the internet as a parody of the human race since 1999.

3000+ Long term follower

Didn't we recently read that 50% of europeans have a mental illness?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyldor Gwyvallt View Post
    Obviously all this in the US...the country where a fanatical worship of science has replaced any true religious sense or any balanced perception of LIFE

1000+

The only thing F2P guarantees is that it won't be good.
    Link Censored for being Too Awesome

5000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by [LoD] EE View Post

TF2 is filled with dumb fucks who make retarded Gibbons look intelligent.

Some of the dumbest mother fuckers I have ever gamed with are now playing TF2.
    Thats is my main hatred for the f2p model... So many dickwads who just troll the shit out of urgame spamming n**ger and f**got etcetc. Not to mention if that game has voice comms... Omg plz just shoot me in the head already.

It almost makes me want to start console gaming so that I could play with some slightly more intelligent playeers.
    Well i dont know about that now.... I dont play console games for a lot of reasons but one of them is because the nonsense 11 yr olds boys or girls non stop screaming bloody murder at how much u suck blah blah

They need to install an ip ban that you're allowed to control who u pair up with or somrthing...

That way all the fuckwits are stuck with the other trollz..
    - The one and only -
    My Videos

wtb df2010