Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast

Default Bone Cancer Patient's Yard Sale Shut Down By Salem Government

http://digitaljournal.com/article/310628

Salem - An obscure city law that prohibits residents from having more than three yard sales per year brings a government crackdown on a Salem woman who suffers from bone marrow cancer.
    Jan Cline, who was diagnosed with bone marrow cancer earlier this summer, told Salem news channel KATU that she could break a bone by merely walking. The cancer, she says, eats holes in her bones.
    With such a debilitating terminal condition she has no income. She is unable to work and does not have health insurance.
    In order to pay her bills, which she told KATU amount to "thousands and thousands" of dollars each month, Cline decided to start selling her possessions in her back yard. She began raking in several hundred dollars each weekend.
    What could have been a entrepreneurial success story for a terminal cancer patient soon turned into a bureaucratic nightmare.
    After a few weekends a neighbor complained about the yard sales and the city threatened Cline with a $300 fine if she did not cease the yard sales, citing a law that limited a resident to three yard sales per year.
    That's right, in Salem it is illegal to sell your own possessions on your own property more than three times per year.
    “I just hope that nobody else has to go through this kind of thing," Cline told KATU. "I hope no one else has to give their lives away for nickels and dimes and then be told they can’t even do that. I hope nobody else has to do this ever.”
    The city's Community Development Department told KATU the reason for the law is that people have set up permanent flea-market type yard sales on their property.
    But Cline told KATU she did her best to keep the yard sale in the back yard "so it's not goobering up the neighborhood."
    That's not enough for the city bureaucrats, however, who told Cline "the laws the law."
    According to KATU:

After hearing more about Cline’s situation, a supervisor said he is going to take another look to see if there’s anything she can do to operate within the law. But if she reopens now, it is a misdemeanor and about a $300 fine.

The community, however, has stepped up and donated $16,500 to Cline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exevos View Post
    nacitar has never used any (to my knowledge) exploit maneuvers, glitches, and/or bugs... He has always been adamant in his ways, ... having been totally legit since launch, a feat many of us have failed.

10,000+

I see nothing wrong with the law.

There was a person in my home town of Rialto Ca who used to have yard sales every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The cops there were pretty lax about it though we had a law on the books that you could only have 2 a year. with permit and 1 without. That was, until someone Identified their stolen property at the yard sale.. cops arrived and turned out all the property at the sale was stolen items from all over San Bernardino and Riverside counties.

But to get back on topic. I guess she should have friends have sales at her house if she wants to have more sales to make some money

I don't see why people care if their neighbors are having a yard sale. Too many pricks with nothing better to do than interfere in everyone else's lives I suppose.
    nacitar has never used any (to my knowledge) exploit maneuvers, glitches, and/or bugs... He has always been adamant in his ways, ... having been totally legit since launch, a feat many of us have failed.

10,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Abaratican View Post
    I don't see why people care if their neighbors are having a yard sale. Too many pricks with nothing better to do than interfere in everyone else's lives I suppose.
    Because of the constant traffic. Yard sales have people all day long stopping to look at stuff, they park their cars along the street, taking up parking spots. They sometimes block driveways and you have constant traffic up and down the street. Its a pain in the ass. If you dont limit them, then you have people who will have them 3+ days a week causing problems for those who live near them and on the same street.

Quote Originally Posted by [LoD] EE View Post
    Because of the constant traffic. Yard sales have people all day long stopping to look at stuff, they park their cars along the street, taking up parking spots. They sometimes block driveways and you have constant traffic up and down the street. Its a pain in the ass. If you dont limit them, then you have people who will have them 3+ days a week causing problems for those who live near them and on the same street.
    Then why not have laws against parking in the road and things of that nature, rather than the yard sale? It's not inconceivable that the resident could have appropriate parking set up for the sale as to not leave patrons parking in the street.

Though unlikely.
    Last edited by Abaratican; 08-22-2011 at 18:35.

10,000+

Then why not have laws against parking in the road and things of that nature, rather than the yard sale? It's not inconceivable that the resident could have appropriate parking set up for the sale as to not leave patrons parking in the street.

Though unlikely.
    You cant have laws of not parking along the street when that is what they are there for. The problem is when yard sales cause disruption for those who live on that street. As stated before, 1 yard sale every 3 or 4 months is not a problem. 3 yard sales a week, 12 a month, 144 a year, that causes a problem and simply should not be allowed. If you have enough sales to support 3 days a week of sales, OPEN A FUCKING STORE.

You cant have laws of not parking along the street when that is what they are there for. The problem is when yard sales cause disruption for those who live on that street. As stated before, 1 yard sale every 3 or 4 months is not a problem. 3 yard sales a week, 12 a month, 144 a year, that causes a problem and simply should not be allowed. If you have enough sales to support 3 days a week of sales, OPEN A FUCKING STORE.
    So your issue with the sale is people parking/driving in the street, which you then say is perfectly suitable.

Rage on.
    Last edited by Abaratican; 08-22-2011 at 18:40.

1000+

This. If anything, this would be an opportunity to socialize/enjoy the presence of young, sexy, female buyers.

1000+

She's got terminal cancer. I guess the bitch should just keep it to herself, no?

You need to get laid. Desperately.

10,000+

So your issue with the sale is people parking/driving in the street, which you then say is perfectly suitable.

Rage on.
    If you cant comprehend what the problem is, than you sir, are a moron.

Also, the sight of constant yard sales are a blight on the area in which you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrogenium View Post
    This. If anything, this would be an opportunity to socialize/enjoy the presence of young, sexy, female buyers.
    Trust me, there is nothing sexy about 30+ year old women let alone 30+ year old women toting their dirty children around, trying to haggle a $1 pair of jeans down to 10 cents.

7000+

I live in Canada, in Canada it's illegal to not give a parking lot to residents of an appartment complex and let's be serious nobody buys a house without a a place to park on the property. You should try it.

Join us on Twitch or on our forums!

10,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrogenium View Post
    She's got terminal cancer. I guess the bitch should just keep it to herself, no?

You need to get laid. Desperately.
    I dont give a fuck, she still has to follow the fucking law. If she can get her friends to have yard sales for her at their places then fucking awesome. Just because the bitch is going to die doesnt mean she can break the law. The money isnt even going to help her live, her shit is TERMINAL.

10,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok Delrhe View Post
    I live in Canada, in Canada it's illegal to not give a parking lot to residents of an appartment complex and let's be serious nobody buys a house without a a place to park on the property. You should try it.
    Are you dense? I am not asking this just because you said you live in Canada. You might be slow but should not be this slow, eh?

5000+

I see nothing wrong with the law to be honest.
    Frumpy Lump's rage
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    He said consumers make jobs appear. Let him explain how that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    I've done shit you probably would faint from even thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    At least I get to fuck.
    http://www.twitch.tv/makestro

10,000+ Long term follower

I see nothing wrong with the law.

There was a person in my home town of Rialto Ca who used to have yard sales every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The cops there were pretty lax about it though we had a law on the books that you could only have 2 a year. with permit and 1 without. That was, until someone Identified their stolen property at the yard sale.. cops arrived and turned out all the property at the sale was stolen items from all over San Bernardino and Riverside counties.

But to get back on topic. I guess she should have friends have sales at her house if she wants to have more sales to make some money
    There may be nothing 'wrong' w/ the law b/c 24/7 garage sales would be odious. However, she's jobless and has cancer; her neighbor should be shot.

I read about this elsewhere so dont know if its specified in the OP, but the gov't didn't do shit until a neighbor called the cops.
    Last edited by StainlessSteelRat; 08-22-2011 at 19:01.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
    If 3/4 of all the money spent on defense was diverted into education funds, public school would be dirt cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Sparrow View Post
    99% of human resource offices are paid for by grants (non-tax dollars).