View Poll Results: Best US President

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Washington

    7 12.50%
  • Jefferson

    7 12.50%
  • Lincoln

    1 1.79%
  • Teddy Roosevelt

    4 7.14%
  • Taft

    0 0%
  • Wilson

    0 0%
  • Silent Cal

    1 1.79%
  • FDR

    3 5.36%
  • Eisenhower

    3 5.36%
  • Kennedy

    3 5.36%
  • The Gipper

    2 3.57%
  • Slick Willy

    5 8.93%
  • Jackson

    5 8.93%
  • Obama

    8 14.29%
  • Other

    7 12.50%
Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 66

Thread: US Presidents

  1. #1

    Default US Presidents

    I'll try to include the big ones. Just trying to get a feel for what peeps think. If I missed somebody you idolize, just vote other and post below. Feel free to validate your vote with supporting comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    Unless you assume a God, the question of life’s purpose is meaningless.

  2. #2
    7000+ EU1 Player
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,133

    Default

    Eisenhower

    Kennedy was probably one of the most liked president by the American public, but Eisenhower, even if he didn't support something, he respected the process of our government.
    Last edited by Nunz; 07-28-2011 at 15:55.

  3. #3

    Default

    Bill Clinton got my vote. I don't think he was the best president the United States has ever had, but I only chose from the ones who have been president during my life time because those are the ones I feel that I can make the best evaluation of.

    Even if you don't like Bill, the fact is that he actually balanced the US federal budget and during his presidency we had the largest economic growth in US history, the largest federal surplus in history, the creation of the most jobs in any administration, a 4% unemployment rate, inflation dropped to the level that it was during the Kennedy administration, poverty rate declined, etc.

    Not to mention the man was brilliant when it came to foreign relations, and while he was president most of the world actually liked the United States.

    Disclaimer: I am not a member of the Democratic party. These are just facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    ~Dorn Divin
    SG of Hastati

  4. #4

    Default

    Why do you refer to Reagan as the Gipper? To make it seem as if you know what you are on about? Just call him Reagan ffs.
    Wisdom Of Bots
    1, then tired, do not forget to smile; be anxious, but also pay attention to tone; no matter how tough, do not forget to adhere to; No matter how tired, but also love yourself.
    But we are jet modified and not faint-hearted of difficulties

  5. #5
    4000+
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,490

    Default

    americans spamming their dumb politic threads in OT every day.

    is that all you learn in your crappy schools, or do you learn it from tv?
    Last edited by bobii; 07-28-2011 at 16:24.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobii View Post
    americans spamming their dumb politic threads in OT every day.

    is that all you learn in your crappy schools, or do you learn it from tv?
    Like most other countries, i bet from TV. Politics is usually only specifically reserved for those who choose to study it a college or university.
    Wisdom Of Bots
    1, then tired, do not forget to smile; be anxious, but also pay attention to tone; no matter how tough, do not forget to adhere to; No matter how tired, but also love yourself.
    But we are jet modified and not faint-hearted of difficulties

  7. #7
    3000+
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    PERKELE
    Posts
    3,565

    Default

    Nixon, for epic quotes like this one:

    (to Kissinger) The only place where you and I disagree ... is with regard to the bombing. You're so goddamned concerned about civilians and I don't give a damn. I don't care.

  8. #8

    Default

    Needs Clinton on the poll...

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emolas View Post
    Needs Clinton on the poll...
    He is on there, but the OP gave some of the presidents their nicknames instead of their real names. FYI, Slick Willy is Bill Clinton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    ~Dorn Divin
    SG of Hastati

  10. #10
    3000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkfiend#billy View Post
    Even if you don't like Bill, the fact is that he actually balanced the US federal budget and during his presidency we had the largest economic growth in US history, the largest federal surplus in history, the creation of the most jobs in any administration, a 4% unemployment rate, inflation dropped to the level that it was during the Kennedy administration, poverty rate declined, etc.

    Not to mention the man was brilliant when it came to foreign relations, and while he was president most of the world actually liked the United States.
    Please note the reason the US is currently in the state it is in is because of Clinton. At the time the people/world liked him, but his choices were near-sighted. Ask anyone in the military at the time Clinton was president and they will tell you the economy and current military situation is his fault. Instead of a scheduled withdrawl from the middle east he just evacuated the troops and sold the arms for scrap where they were at. Sure people liked it; he got troops out, boosted the economy, and made foreign countries happy... however it caused what we are dealing with today.

    Go and ask any history professor who the worst president was and they will etiher say Clinton or Lincoln.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berhan
    less wrong than raping, but still wrong enough...

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewRage View Post
    Please note the reason the US is currently in the state it is in is because of Clinton. At the time the people/world liked him, but his choices were near-sighted. Ask anyone in the military at the time Clinton was president and they will tell you the economy and current military situation is his fault. Instead of a scheduled withdrawl from the middle east he just evacuated the troops and sold the arms for scrap where they were at. Sure people liked it; he got troops out, boosted the economy, and made foreign countries happy... however it caused what we are dealing with today.

    Go and ask any history professor who the worst president was and they will etiher say Clinton or Lincoln.
    You are indirectly correct on your first point.

    The real reason the economy tank in the years after his presidency is due to the American people living outside of their means. Clinton made credit more easily accessible for people buying homes, for example, in the hopes that more people would invest in real estate. It worked, but unfortunately too many people took out loans that they could never afford to pay off in the first place.

    Now you could say this was poor planning on Clinton's part to assume the average American would be fiscally responsible (lol), but there was nothing inherently bad with the majority of his policies.

    As for the current military situation being Clinton's fault, I really must ask you to elaborate because last time I checked, Bill never funded private little wars with the Middle East over oil while blatantly lying to the American public about weapons of mass destruction. Quite the contrary, most of the Middle Eastern leaders had a very high opinion of Clinton and he ALMOST negotiated a truce between Israel and Palestine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    ~Dorn Divin
    SG of Hastati

  12. #12
    3000+
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    3,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paade View Post
    Nixon, for epic quotes like this one:

    (to Kissinger) The only place where you and I disagree ... is with regard to the bombing. You're so goddamned concerned about civilians and I don't give a damn. I don't care.
    Wow. What a great human being.

  13. #13
    3000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,220

    Default

    Never thought I'd see the day where someone seriously suggested Bill Clinton was a greater pres than guys like Washington, Lincoln and Jefferson...

    Washington...his militia army collapsing in the face of tough reversals fighting the professional and world conquering British, basically held the continental army together through sheer force of will. Presided over the constitutional convention, served out his presidency and retired, even though he could have easily proclaimed himself king given his massive popularity, something not many men ever do (King George III, who hated the rebels colonists, called him "greatest man who ever lived" for doing this).

    Bill Clinton was uhhh? better?

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krag View Post
    Never thought I'd see the day where someone seriously suggested Bill Clinton was a greater pres than guys like Washington, Lincoln and Jefferson...

    Washington...his militia army collapsing in the face of tough reversals fighting the professional and world conquering British, basically held the continental army together through sheer force of will. Presided over the constitutional convention, served out his presidency and retired, even though he could have easily proclaimed himself king given his massive popularity, something not many men ever do (King George III, who hated the rebels colonists, called him "greatest man who ever lived" for doing this).

    Bill Clinton was uhhh? better?

    Did you seriously fucking miss his second sentence?

    "I don't think he was the best president the United States has ever had, but I only chose from the ones who have been president during my life time because those are the ones I feel that I can make the best evaluation of."

  15. #15
    10,000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doomahx View Post
    Did you seriously fucking miss his second sentence?

    "I don't think he was the best president the United States has ever had, but I only chose from the ones who have been president during my life time because those are the ones I feel that I can make the best evaluation of."
    That's a cop-out though. Everyone from the US ought to know enough about some on that list to know that they deserve a vote more than Slick Willy.

    Not to mention, the things that slick willy 'did', he didn't really do.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
    If 3/4 of all the money spent on defense was diverted into education funds, public school would be dirt cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Sparrow View Post
    99% of human resource offices are paid for by grants (non-tax dollars).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •