Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    7000+ EU1 Player

Default Gagging while brushing your teeth.

I have this really bad issue with my gag reflex. I've always had it. Any time I go to the dentist or had my tonsils checked out I would end up throwing up in the office. It has been this way since I was a child.

It's to the point that I throw up while trying to brush my teeth and tongue. Every time I walk out of the bathroom, after brushing my teeth, my eyes are always horribly bloodshot from gagging. It's kinda a running joke with friends a family. I'm not a bulimic I'm just brushing my teeth lol

I've been trying to find ways to help with this issue, online, recently. I figured I'd throw it up on OT while I was reading.

Does anyone else have this issue? And if you do, have you found any remedies?

1000+

Stop brushing teeth, I dont really do it while its summer vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by HauptmannHP View Post
    I don't have a good answer as to why custom avatars are not allowed, but I looking at some of the signatures, I can imagine what it would be like.

1000+

Well don't take up gay prostitution anytime soon would be my advice.
    http://a.imageshack.us/img163/1084/levion.jpg

7000+ EU1 Player

Yeah....

I could never suck a dick.

Last edited by Nunz; 07-23-2011 at 18:11.

1000+

But if youre not gay or in prison it doesnt really matter so dont be sad.

Quote Originally Posted by HauptmannHP View Post
    I don't have a good answer as to why custom avatars are not allowed, but I looking at some of the signatures, I can imagine what it would be like.

7000+ EU1 Player

Yeah...

But, it's like, I don't even have the option to if I ever wanted too.

Just another door slammed in my face.

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
    And if you do, have you found any remedies?
    * Training to reduce the gag reflex by sticking things down your throat; as in fellatio.
    * MJ I think. Probably a bunch of other stuff as well. I assume f ex nutmeg would work, at least against nausea and non-reflex barfing.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

I just quickly looked around the internet because it's the first time I ever hear about this, and came across this website on "Gagging during Dental Treatment", and it also makes mention of gagging while brushing your teeth.

I suggest you look it up.
    Irenor Rainstone
    "Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

7000+ EU1 Player

Quote Originally Posted by Weeking View Post
    * Training to reduce the gag reflex by sticking things down your throat; as in fellatio.
    * MJ I think. Probably a bunch of other stuff as well. I assume f ex nutmeg would work, at least against nausea and non-reflex barfing.
    I start throwing up after just a few seconds lol

Nutmeg, huh?

7000+ EU1 Player

Quote Originally Posted by Irenor View Post
    I just quickly looked around the internet because it's the first time I ever hear about this, and came across this website on "Gagging during Dental Treatment", and it also makes mention of gagging while brushing your teeth.

I suggest you look it up.
    That's funny. I actually have this irrational fear of dying by suffocation and/or drowning. I also can't stand tight shirts around my neck. I bet it's related some how.

That's funny. I actually have this irrational fear of dying by suffocation and/or drowning. I also can't stand tight shirts around my neck. I bet it's related some how.
    That could be it. The website I linked made mention of psycholgical scars, so it's highly possible as, physiologically, there's no reason to "gag" while brushing your teeths. The parts on gagging while brushing your teeths offers a couple of decent advice to reduce gagging or prevent it, so it might help.

That said, I'd suggest you search a bit on your fear of death by suffocation/drowning. Perhaps past experiences or watching movies as a young kid where people drowned and/or were chocked to death could also potentially lead to this.
    Last edited by Irenor; 07-23-2011 at 18:24.
    Irenor Rainstone
    "Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

6000+

its a common problem for inet nerds to not have full control of body functions
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilio View Post
    You can't educate people that do not want to be educated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Vertigo View Post
    Dunning-Kruger, showing the internet as a parody of the human race since 1999.

6000+ Long term follower

I have this really bad issue with my gag reflex. I've always had it. Any time I go to the dentist or had my tonsils checked out I would end up throwing up in the office. It has been this way since I was a child.

It's to the point that I throw up while trying to brush my teeth and tongue. Every time I walk out of the bathroom, after brushing my teeth, my eyes are always horribly bloodshot from gagging. It's kinda a running joke with friends a family. I'm not a bulimic I'm just brushing my teeth lol

I've been trying to find ways to help with this issue, online, recently. I figured I'd throw it up on OT while I was reading.

Does anyone else have this issue? And if you do, have you found any remedies?
    This is common in people with reflux. You got that problem as well?

7000+ EU1 Player

Quote Originally Posted by Falokis View Post
    This is common in people with reflux. You got that problem as well?
    Nah, not at all. At least not yet lol

1000+

I start throwing up after just a few seconds lol

Nutmeg, huh?
    I seriously suggest shoving your brush down your throat as low as you safely can. I brush my tongue all the time and the gagging relfex really tones down a lot after you do it for 3 days or do (but the reflex seems to come back if you even miss a day of brushing that way).
    http://a.imageshack.us/img163/1084/levion.jpg