Thread: Pentadactyl

Default Pentadactyl

http://dactyl.sourceforge.net/pentadactyl/

The 0.001% of you that will find this useful can thank me later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exevos View Post
    nacitar has never used any (to my knowledge) exploit maneuvers, glitches, and/or bugs... He has always been adamant in his ways, ... having been totally legit since launch, a feat many of us have failed.

Normal User

nice ty

MJ RIP

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mjmadskillz View Post
    nice ty
    He said later god damn it!

1000+

Thanks mate.
    Unexpected features—sometimes also called bugs—....
    Wish I could double-talk
    Last edited by Rimayven; 07-20-2011 at 18:56.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

1000+

OP, are you really that old? I can't imagine wanting to employ Vim like commands while browsing being more than a fad.

And mozilla has never been more than a decent browser. Just so happened IE was really shitty. Almost everything web-kit based, and even Opera spank it in terms of speed and standards support. I have a list as long as my arm with javascript and css 2.0 functionality it has not yet implemented, some of which even IE has had since version 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrogenium View Post
    OP, are you really that old? I can't imagine wanting to employ Vim like commands while browsing being more than a fad.

And mozilla has never been more than a decent browser. Just so happened IE was really shitty. Almost everything web-kit based, and even Opera spank it in terms of speed and standards support. I have a list as long as my arm with javascript and css 2.0 functionality it has not yet implemented, some of which even IE has had since version 6.
    Mozilla has some of the best add-ons for privacy or general tools, and Mozilla actually fights ICE rather than "obeying" like sheeps. As far as I'm concerned, Mozilla>Any other Browser.
    Irenor Rainstone
    "Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Quote Originally Posted by Irenor View Post
    rather than "obeying" like sheeps.
    Confirmed for fad.

But you've probably never even heard of it.

I can't imagine wanting to employ Vim like commands while browsing being more than a fad.
    It has its upsides and downsides, but once you get it configured according to preference it's actually pretty awesome. When I'm not gaming, I pretty much live in vim as I'm a software developer and pretty exclusively use/code for linux at work; I only ever use windows to game. When you spend 40 hours a week in vim, you start to become damn efficient in the way it handles things. To each their own, but I found this addon to be pretty well done.
    Last edited by Abaratican; 07-21-2011 at 15:01.
    nacitar has never used any (to my knowledge) exploit maneuvers, glitches, and/or bugs... He has always been adamant in his ways, ... having been totally legit since launch, a feat many of us have failed.

1000+

You should try one of the new development studios. Not sure what languages you program in but for Linux you can probably give Eclipse a try (you might need a mod for your programming languages of choice).
    The dev studios do a great deal more for you than just allowing you to edit the code. I mean, how do you debug mate? Or has Vim come so far as to allow some of this functionality in a text based UI?

You should try one of the new development studios. Not sure what languages you program in but for Linux you can probably give Eclipse a try (you might need a mod for your programming languages of choice).
    The dev studios do a great deal more for you than just allowing you to edit the code. I mean, how do you debug mate? Or has Vim come so far as to allow some of this functionality in a text based UI?
    I use gdb from the terminal pretty exclusively, though I code carefully these days and take my time so I don't have to use it very much anyway. I write C++ the majority of the time (95%+) but lately have been using Eclipse to do some java/android development. I still prefer vim/terminal over these IDEs though, specifically because of the editor. There are eclipse plugins that give vim-style input but the ones I tried didn't do the job well enough.

Even when I use eclipse, I find myself editing the files in the terminal with vim whenever I do any serious development and then jump back to eclipse for debugging and other activities. If Eclipse's source editing was literally a 100% embedded vim, then I wouldn't feel crippled when it comes to that part... but as that is not the case, I always end up trying to press vim hotkeys to do things, having them not work, then growling as I tab to my terminal. For example, compiling and finding all these sneaky 'i's in the code that need removed that came from trying to swap to input mode in a non-vim editor... or trying to use '.' to repeat actions and having that not work.

For me another large factor is that I've gotten my vim/terminal configured just-so for editing, and even the aesthetics down to the color palette of the terminal being colors easy on the eyes and the syntax highlighting set up to use those colors.

For reference, hiding work stuff and opening fluxbox source for the screenshot... here's how my work laptop is configured at present, very particularly. You'll see eclipse sitting in the taskbar, minimized. Primary monitor on right (and lower resolution than the laptop screen on left; haven't gotten a 1080p lcd for work yet).
    http://www.ubercpp.com/screenshot.png
    Last edited by Abaratican; 07-21-2011 at 16:26.

1000+

Just curious, does Vim nowadays have any kind of intellisense? Eclipse (last time I used it was for a Java project around 2 years ago) had pretty weak support.

Microsoft's VS 2010 on the other side does an excellent job. Between that and code snippets I find myself spending very little time on actual coding and more time on thinking about algorithms.

Also, I sport 3 screens with 1200 pixels vertical resolution. 3 screens is the sweet spot in my mind. One central 1920x1200 and 2 side ones at 1600x1200. Very rare and expensive nowadays to find non wide screens.

But most of my work is for web so I test things in 6 browsers simultaneously.

Edit: I use a very dark layout as well. It doesn't tire my eyes as quickly.
    Last edited by Hydrogenium; 07-21-2011 at 23:07.