Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    10,000+

Default Was it murder or self-defense?

Video at bottom of page

An Oklahoma pharmacist has been sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole for first-degree murder in the shooting death of a teenager who tried to rob the south Oklahoma City pharmacy where he worked.

Fifty-nine-year-old Jerome Ersland was sentenced Monday after Oklahoma County District Judge Ray Elliott rejected a defense motion to suspend the sentence.

Ersland had no reaction and said nothing as the sentence was handed down. As he left the courtroom, he responded to a reporter's shouted question by calling the sentence "an injustice of a monumental proportion."

A jury convicted Ersland and recommended the life with the possibility of parole sentence for the May 2009 shooting of 16-year-old Antwun Parker. Defense attorney Irven Box said the conviction and sentence will be appealed.

Confronted by two holdup men, Ersland pulled a gun, shot one of them in the head and chased the other away. Then, in a scene recorded by the drugstore's security camera, he went behind the counter, got another gun, and pumped five more bullets into Parker as he lay on the floor unconscious.

At the trial, prosecutors argued that Ersland crossed into the wrong when he shot the unarmed and unconscious Parker five more times.

Ersland contended that he was defending himself and two co-workers from a robber who still posed a threat.

'Please don't give up hope'
    Thousands of Ersland's supporters have reportedly signed petitions pushing Gov. Mary Fallin to pardon the pharmacist, or ease his sentence.

"Please people, don't give up hope. We got 17,000 signatures in a month," Ersland's friend and activist Karen Monahan told KOCO.

Monahan told the station she is selling T-shirts and collecting signatures to help save the life of her good friend.

"The last time I talked to him (Ersland), he was over-excited. He's getting letters (of support) from people he doesn't even know," Monahan reportedly said.

6000+ Long term follower

haha. too slow. old. get fucked.

3000+

Whatever.
    STYRR CHIPATAMA
    [PWNOGRAPHY]

France's finest

10,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Falokis View Post
    haha. too slow. old. get fucked.
    Woops! someone is surely bitter. Poor thing, need a hug

6000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by [LoD] EE View Post
    Woops! someone is surely bitter. Poor thing, need a hug
    Haha. I'm not bitter about anything. I was just surprised someone beat you to the punch.

Too bad for that kid. He shot the kid in the head. The kid was already fucked to begin with a friend like that. That fat ass probably felt so good after he killed that kid like that was his greatest rush he ever got at his old age besides getting drunk with his friends. No he doesn't deserve life in prison.

8000+ Long term follower Tenebrion's Avatar

I can't believe how old this news is.

Enchanting Information

Darkfall : It needs more cows
    -Lord Tenebrion
    The Mercenary Merchant :
    Most Powerful Man In Agon.

Murder. The guy was incapacitated. He wasn't a threat, so its no longer self defense.

10,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Falokis View Post
    Haha. I'm not bitter about anything. I was just surprised someone beat you to the punch.
    Well, sadly I was interrupted when I was copying it to the page, came back, hit submit and woops.. I was 5 minutes late. Had I not been interrupted, I would have had him beat by about 30 minutes. It happens, rarely for me but it happens.

As the fishermen say, If you caught a fish every time you went out, it would be called Catching not Fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorortega View Post
    Murder. The guy was incapacitated. He wasn't a threat, so its no longer self defense.
    dido. To many damn idiots think they have the right to be cowboys these days.

It was self defense. If you invade someone's home, they have every right to kill you. The burden should not be on them to risk you getting up and killing them.

www.DarkfallCE.webs.com
    The Champion of Regional Banking
    Quote Originally Posted by rbeck View Post
    Clap clap, Zaffax for president. The DF:UW that Zaffax is talking about is the one that I want to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaffax View Post
    It was self defense. If you invade someone's home, they have every right to kill you. The burden should not be on them to risk you getting up and killing them.
    Well it was not a home it was a store. And if you shoot someone in the face and hes unconscious then goes and get a new gun and shoot him 5 more times its not self defence any more.

Me naked

Quote Originally Posted by fhrafnsson View Post
    You don't always have to run faster than the ganker. Running faster than your friend is often good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaffax View Post
    Pretty sure this was all looked at in the trial. There is probably no likelihood of the person continuing to be a threat. A bullet in the head normally stops that.

There is also the likely scenario where the people could of easily of killed him if he was not fast enough on the draw. Which is another reason the guy is a moron.

This also does not take into account the number of people he could of shot by mistake by initiating a gun fight it what more then likely would of been a simple robbery.

You have the right to self defense. Even though 90% of the time is moronic to use. You do not have the right to kill someone who is out.

10,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Wufiavelli View Post

This also does not take into account the number of people he could of shot by mistake by initiating a gun fight it what more then likely would of been a simple robbery.

You have the right to self defense. Even though 90% of the time is moronic to use. You do not have the right to kill someone who is out.
    I would not say simple robbery...

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/...2601308570465/

June 20, 2011

MEDFORD, N.Y., June 20 (UPI) -- Four people were shot and killed at a Medford, N.Y., pharmacy in a robbery described by a detective as a "a vicious horrible crime."

The robber made off with prescription drugs in the Sunday holdup at Haven Drugs, police said in a New York Daily News report Monday.

Among the dead was employee Jennifer Mejia, 18, of East Patchogue, who would have graduated from Bellport High School Thursday. She and her sister were scheduled to work at the pharmacy Sunday but her sister changed her mind and spent Father's Day at home.

Also killed were pharmacist Raymond Ferguson, 45, and two customers, Bryon Sheffield, 71, of Medford, and a 33-year-old woman, Jaime Taccetta of Farmingville.

The victims were slain shortly after the pharmacy in the Long Island community opened.

The gunman was described as a thin white male, about 5-feet-8, with short, dark hair. He wore sunglasses, a dark hooded sweater, bluejeans and a white baseball cap.

"This is a vicious, horrible crime," said Suffolk County Police Chief of Detectives Dominick Varrone.

Mejia was excited about graduation and had modeled her prom dress for her family the day before she was killed.

"This morning she told me, 'Happy Father's Day.' She was in a hurry to go to work," said Rene Mejia, an immigrant from El Salvador. "I held her and said, 'It's OK ... I feel better because I held her."

Quote Originally Posted by Wufiavelli View Post
    You act like the pharmacy worker was the one who visited the robbers home and attacked him. The robber was in the wrong, and what happened to him was all on him.

If somebody tries to rob me, I demand every right to kill them for my own protection.

www.DarkfallCE.webs.com
    The Champion of Regional Banking
    Quote Originally Posted by rbeck View Post
    Clap clap, Zaffax for president. The DF:UW that Zaffax is talking about is the one that I want to play.