Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast
    1000+

Default My first programming language; what should I learn?

I want to become hooked up with coding, but I'm bad at it. I can't program anything worthwhile.

I have no real programming experience; my only coding experience has been with some dos shell scripts and those graphing calculator proprietary programming languages that are kinda like BASIC. HTML too if it counts.

A person would tell me to start with something like VisualBasic or Java or C++ or C or Assembly (lol) or Perl or Ruby or Python or whatever, and then I get flamed and called a retard by someone else who tells me to start learning with another 'real' language, like Lisp or C# or Fortran or Pascal or whatever. I don't even know the real difference between any of them (except that assembly is 'low level' or something).

Can anyone sort me out with all the different languages? What do they mean, and which one should I learn first? I have a feeling either C++, Java, VBasic, or Python would be okay, but I want someone who knows this shit to help me so I don't fuck up my intuition and end up being a horrible programmer.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

The most important step is finding something interesting to program.
    Spoiler

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
    http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

How high is the stepping in point for this book? Because I assume this is not written for starters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasos View Post
    I've never lifted in my life but I'll go and see how much I can bench and let you guys know.

1000+

This.
    You don't learn a language and declare king of the world. You take the language that is best for the task you wish to acomplish. If you dont know what you want to do with it there is no point to learn it.

Generally:
    C/C++ : We give you a lasersword and force powers, wrong swing you cut your own arm off but you can potentiallly solve everything with it.

java: you get a shovel and can play in a sandbox, cant do as much but wont kill you and works anywhere , still can do pretty cool stuff with it
    2012: AV creates classes
    2013: Forums agree: 3 out of 4 classes are op

If someone asks in such a forum such a question my advise will normally be NONE.
    You could do maybe other things that are more appropriate to your school background that will help you better.
    My 2 cents on topic:
    IT is a vast domain, a language is just a tool. Is like in medical school, there are a lot of specializations, each depending on their field.

Java or another oriented object language is a good foundation. SQL language is easy to learn, hard to master but very useful and also required a lot.

My advise is that if you dont have a very high desire into learning and working(there is a big difference) in programming dont bother...you waste your time. Do a project in your field, read more related to your university where you study, maybe learn Chinese(Mandarin...and this is no joke, might come in handy).
    Last edited by malebogia; 07-03-2011 at 16:57.
    Lord Malebo in game.
    Lux Arcana recruit.
    http://www.luxarcana.org/portal/

3000+

I started off with C, then learned Java, and then C#. I feel this worked very well, with each language building off the concepts of the previous.

C is a very good foundation because you are forced to learn low-level concepts (pointers, memory allocation) that other languages handle for you. You will end up with a more comprehensive understanding of how computer programs actually work. However, I wouldn't call myself a C programmer; I never did anything in C beyond some basic console applications. Anything more advanced in C seems unwieldy.

Java is of course an object-oriented language. Although it is verbose and ugly, it is an excellent language to learn OO programming. The verbosity is actually a good thing for beginners, as it forces your hand to certain good programming habits.

C# I love everything about. Like Java, it is object-oriented. But it is less verbose, has nicer built-in libraries, and it includes some powerful features you'll wish Java had once you start doing some more involved stuff (delegates, extension methods, LINQ).

Edit: oh and
    This. Absolutely this.

I didn't learn these languages on a whim. I was taught C and Java in school (albeit very poorly), and went on to use Java and learn C# for my job..
    Last edited by iza; 07-03-2011 at 18:33.

5000+

Assembly is not for regular programmers, but for people who have lots of time to spend creating and testing the programs. It's supposed to be really fast though. F ex if you want to make an OS, you could use Assembly. I think Kolibri did.

Java is cross-platform but really shitty performance. Think it's mostly needed for the webbrowser as in javascript and java apps.

There's also specialized or pseudo-programming languages f ex like TADS for creating text adventure games. If you learn that, you could make a game about choosing the right programming language.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Weeking View Post
    Java is cross-platform but really shitty performance. Think it's mostly needed for the webbrowser as in javascript and java apps.
    I'm sorry but this is completely wrong. Java used to have shitty performance, like 10 years ago, but these days it is almost as fast as C for the most part. Also Java has nothing to do with JavaScript; it is a completely different language. Java is a general purpose language; you can do absolutely anything with it. As far as web-focused stuff, you can embed Java applets in webpages, or write the server-side of a web application in Java, but it is by no means limited to this sort of software...

3000+

A lot of people will probably recommend Python as well, which I failed to mention. I haven't used it personally, but it offers a clean and simple syntax, and there are a lot of resources for beginners. It has crap performance, but that shouldn't matter for someone just getting started.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4...-to-start-with
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...n-right-for-me
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...ner-to-program

Quote Originally Posted by Rimayven View Post
    My first programming language; what should I learn?
    Really though, there is no right answer to this question. All languages have their strengths and weaknesses, and the best choice absolutely depends on the task at hand.

http://stackoverflow.com/ is an awesome resource for any programming-related questions.

Something to reflect on perhaps:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...arn-to-program

Major strengths of a lot of common languages:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...our-experience
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...killer-feature
    Last edited by iza; 07-03-2011 at 21:32.

2000+

You should do Haskell->C->Java->Wtv u want

5000+

psh, fuck this nerdy shit, learn to cook instead

but i may be a little biased
    Originally Posted by Daggermaniac
    The only DF player that I have expected of Aim Botting is Zato Ichi.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by zato`1 View Post
    psh, fuck this nerdy shit, learn to cook instead

but i may be a little biased
    Yeah I should be learning how to cook instead.

I'll need a background in programming to become an engineer.

What should my first coding project be? Hmm... how do I program one of those spam bots that go around the internet and wreak havoc and annoying messages all over?
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Rimayven View Post
    I'll need a background in programming to become an engineer.
    If you take engineering in University you will have an introductory programming course in first year. You don't need a background in programming going in.. except for computer engineering maybe.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by iza View Post
    If you take engineering in University you will have an introductory programming course in first year. You don't need a background in programming going in.. except for computer engineering maybe.
    but my department won't offer it in my first year :-(

Normal User

Every programmer should know Assembly. It gives you basis understanding of how programs work.

Skip C/C++, its just too much work to get anything done.

Skip Java. Java is legacy and slowly dying. If you wanna use the JVM, learn Scala or Clojure.

C# has the best IDE and is getting a lot of love from MS. Its a good place to start. Get Reshaper for Visual Studio, you will love it.

Next you should learn a functional languge like F# or a dynamic language like Ruby.

And pick ruby if you wanna do web programming