Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast
    1000+

Default Building a great gaming PC

I want to know what components are essential to a great gaming PC. I want hardware that puts all the consoles to shame when it comes to FPS. I want 4 TB of HDD memory. I want to run crysis 2 with maxed out settings on over 100 fps. I want to overclock my AMD phenom II 6 core to 6 GHz. I want over 16 GB of ram. I want a good OS. I want a good game as well.

What parts should I get for my pc. or should I buy an apple/dell/alienware since it ain't worth it to custom build a PC anymore?
    Last edited by Rimayven; 05-12-2011 at 11:52.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rimayven View Post
    I want to know what components are essential to a great gaming PC. I want hardware that puts all the consoles to shame when it comes to FPS. I want 4 TB of HDD memory. I want to run crysis 2 with maxed out settings on over 100 fps. I want to overclock my AMD phenom II 6 core to 6 GHz. I want over 16 GB of ram. I want a good OS. I want a good game as well.

What parts should I get for my pc. or should I buy an apple/dell/alienware since it ain't worth it to custom build a PC anymore?
    Never (and I mean never) buy brand machines. They suck elephant dung straight out its ass and sell it as a pc.

I am however not in the mood of doing a hardware list. I do my own research when I build. But happy hunting.

I don't even.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevron View Post
    I play Halo and I'm autistic.

11,000+

If you're very confident that you won't fuck up, build your own PC.

If you think there's a slightest possibility of fucking up, buy a custom build from a trustworthy company.

Never buy a brand name PC.

Also why the hell would you want 4TB of HD space? Or even any of those specs for that matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc View Post
    You are clearly awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by StainlessSteelRat View Post
    Being socially progressive does not make you 'advanced'.

If you are familiar with swapping out the various components of your PC it really isn't that difficult to build your own, provided you are able to follow instructions.

The hardest/most annoying parts for me was figuring out if there would be any hardware conflicts and getting that damn IO shield to snap in. Oh yeah and spending an hour figuring out why this loud alarm was coming on every time i tried to turn it on, video card power cable wasn't plugged in

11,000+

Quote Originally Posted by doomahx View Post
    If you are familiar with swapping out the various components of your PC it really isn't that difficult to build your own, provided you are able to follow instructions.

The hardest/most annoying parts for me was figuring out if there would be any hardware conflicts and getting that damn IO shield to snap in. Oh yeah and spending an hour figuring out why this loud alarm was coming on every time i tried to turn it on, video card power cable wasn't plugged in
    Although it doesn't actually cost much more to get one built and it would come with a warranty, which is not to be sniffed at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc View Post
    You are clearly awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by StainlessSteelRat View Post
    Being socially progressive does not make you 'advanced'.

3000+

16 GB of ram is highly overkill for gaming... 8 would be more than enough.
    what you need is a good SSD for your OS and your games, and a hard drive for your other stuff. A good OS would be windows 7 64bit. For the graphic card, you've alot of options... do you prefer ATI of Nvidia? And do you want 1 card or 2?

Banned US1 Player

Such rediculous things in a computer....games these days don't need all that crap..hell if he gets a computer with those specs he won't have anything to fully use them to their potential. 16 gigs of ram is uneeded and all that other crap isn't necessarily needed either. Good luck coming out of it for less than 2k and probably much more.

Banned US1 Player

lol you have clearly brought into branding, firstly crisis 2 is a console port piece of shit and crysis 1 probably has a better engine

Unlike the original Crysis, which allowed the user to change various graphical settings, Crysis 2 provides fewer and more limited options. There is currently no support for DirectX 11
    from wiki its self, it just shows that the game is a pathetic console port for nubcakes. just because it has a 2 on the box means shit.
    Last edited by Machinistlol; 05-12-2011 at 17:09.

5000+

That much storage space on a windows PC is a pain in the ass to maintain, At least if you don't make sure to use keep the space used for storage separate from the disk windows the one with the installed progs/games on. Also 4TB isn't that much. It's only like 200$.

You won't be able to see 100FPS. It's the average FPS you should worry about. 100FPS average is overkill. You'll fry your CPU I think and it's pointless to have that many cores unless you only care about a few games and they have optimized for multiple cores. 4 to 8 GB RAM is probably more than you'll manage to use in games. Try focusing on getting faster RAM instead that actually run at that speed on your mobo. Only choice for games is windows, doesn't matter what version I think. You'll want a vista or win7 then for DX10-11 support.

Essential is that no component is a major bottleneck. The bottleneck is usually the GPU and if you really want performance, you'll need several or the big ones taking the space of 2 GPUs. You'll also need good power supply and good cooling to keep them running smoothly. I think such a rig would suck though as mine's pretty average in power consumption, yet I feel I have to turn it off since it gets too hot with it running. I think a better option would be to get several computers and use one for games and a cheaper one that uses less energy and is silent for almost everything else, including storage. I think you could attach the same screen to both to save desk space when it's not running.I don't know about any mice and keyboard that you can attach to more than one computer at a time though.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

Doesn't someone else have the exact same sig as you from a few years back?

He was a pretty political guy though, and a pretty cool guy as well.

7000+

Quote Originally Posted by natedagreat View Post
    Such rediculous things in a computer....games these days don't need all that crap..hell if he gets a computer with those specs he won't have anything to fully use them to their potential. 16 gigs of ram is uneeded and all that other crap isn't necessarily needed either. Good luck coming out of it for less than 2k and probably much more.
    24 gb of ram for a 12 go ram disk. perfect to load a game, like darkfall for exemple onto it and it's as fast/faster as/then an SSD while lasting longer. (it's more expensive though). It's also very useful for sensitive documents because when the power goes out, the files are deleted.

PS: to help you, i'd be better to know where you are from.
    Last edited by Ragnarok Delrhe; 05-12-2011 at 23:18.

Join us on Twitch or on our forums!

3000+

http://i56.tinypic.com/2yy7bsj.png

The samsung spinpoint F4 have the highest platter density currently at 667 GB per platter. While only 5400rpm, they are faster than 7200rpm drives because of that. Access time is of course slow, so they are only meant as fast fraps/storage drives. Raid0 them if you plan on frapsing uncompressed 1920x1080 videos.

For games and the OS, you have the SSD. Add a second SSD if you feel rich.

The 600t case offers a mesh bundled, you can replace the side window with, and attach 4x 120mm fans just in case you wonder why there are extra 4x120mm fans. You will need those to keep the three superOC gtx 580 cool.

Of course, once the LGA2011 comes out Q42011, you will replace the motherboard and CPU with a 32pci lanes LGA2011 motherboard, which does QUAD DDR3 (the 4x4gb should be compatible). And of course you would add to that a 6-12 cores CPU which will be available by then.

estimated cost for the upgrade, about 300-400 for the motherboard, and about 400-500 for the CPU.

Of course, you could just wait..

The i7-2600k with the noctua d-14 can be overclocked to 4.8ghz minimum. 5ghz+ is possible. Even at 4.8ghz it's way faster than any AMD at 6ghz.

The three super clocked gtx 580 in SLI will actually be faster than two gtx 590 in SLI. The AX 1200 gold PSU is just exactly right for three of those.

There are some drawbacks. The motherboard while supporting x8 x8 x8 x8 SLI, does so using extra hardware as the sandybridge CPUs allow only dual x8. This is not as performant as the LGA2011 platform will be.

The mesh allowing for four 120mm fans does not have any dust filter. If you blow air in, instead of sucking it out, you will end up with dust in the case, unless you also find a way to add dust filters.

Estimated fps in crysis 2, over 9000. Certainly over 120+

done!

NEXT!
    Last edited by pZombie; 05-12-2011 at 23:57.

7000+

Quote Originally Posted by pZombie View Post
    http://i56.tinypic.com/2yy7bsj.png

The samsung spinpoint F4 have the highest platter density currently at 667 GB per platter. While only 5400rpm, they are faster than 7200rpm drives because of that. Access time is of course slow, so they are only meant as fast fraps/storage drives. Raid0 them if you plan on frapsing uncompressed 1920x1080 videos.

For games and the OS, you have the SSD. Add a second SSD if you feel rich.

The 600t case offers a mesh bundled, you can replace the side window with, and attach 4x 120mm fans just in case you wonder why there are extra 4x120mm fans. You will need those to keep the three superOC gtx 580 cool.

Of course, once the LGA2011 comes out Q42011, you will replace the motherboard and CPU with a 32pci lanes LGA2011 motherboard, which does QUAD DDR3 (the 4x4gb should be compatible). And of course you would add to that a 6-12 cores CPU which will be available by then.

estimated cost for the upgrade, about 300-400 for the motherboard, and about 400-500 for the CPU.

Of course, you could just wait..

The i7-2600k with the noctua d-14 can be overclocked to 4.8ghz minimum. 5ghz+ is possible. Even at 4.8ghz it's way faster than any AMD at 6ghz.

The three super clocked gtx 580 in SLI will actually be faster than two gtx 590 in SLI. The AX 1200 gold PSU is just exactly right for three of those.

There are some drawbacks. The motherboard while supporting x8 x8 x8 x8 SLI, does so using extra hardware as the sandybridge CPUs allow only dual x8. This is not as performant as the LGA2011 platform will be.

The mesh allowing for four 120mm fans does not have any dust filter. If you blow air in, instead of sucking it out, you will end up with dust in the case, unless you also find a way to add dust filters.

Estimated fps in crysis 2, over 9000. Certainly over 120+

done!

NEXT!
    3 gtx 580?

Join us on Twitch or on our forums!