Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Alignment Changes

Alignment changes are going in. Enough with killing other players, this won’t improve your alignment anymore. The first step in these alignment changes is the introduction of Chaos Churches where players can repent their negative alignment away. These are located in the Chaos cities. The next step in this process will be to look at offering incentives for goodness. There will be a spotlight on this soon.

If this works out I would actually resub. Sprint fest combat I do not like, but I will tolerate. The broken economy, I do not like but I will tolerate. The buggy spawns and minor hacking issues we have I do not like but I will tolerate.

Darkfall is a good game that just happens to have some major fundamental issues breaking its overall quality down to garbage. Its like someone handed you a golden gem encruted goblet, then you look in the goblet and its got a dog turd in it.

Two things I never could tolerate was red's farming alignment on extra guild accounts so that alignment didnt matter, and guilds like Goblin Preservation Society war dec'ing everyone under the sun. (Which should be fixed now that you can only war dec a certain number of people per week.)

I just hope that these Chaos Churches arent another factor to the gold grind. For example, you pay 10,000 gold (pocket change to most big time Red's) and you are a blue again. This would actually be easier for them than the current system of farming alignment off your guild's extra alfar account.

If you go to the Churches and they give you a quest that takes actual time away from your farming the devil and blue afk gold miners to do something you probably do not enjoy doing (kill 200 goblins, or something that is actually an inconvenience for them) then I see this working out great.

Darkfall was envisioned as an immersive living world. Without consequences for being evil and rewards for being good (as with any society, even a gaming community) the concept of realistic immersion will never be realized.
    Last edited by OldPlayer; 02-18-2011 at 20:27.

I'd just like to play a game that feels like an RPG. Half the things that spoil this game do so because they just make no sense, like everyone being a Murderer, racial enemies all together in the same clans and alliances, everyone grinding the same skills/stats so they end up exactly the same as everyone else (why even have progression if we end up the same), territory control that ends up as just an excuse to go pvping rather than containing depth. No sense of community outside clans/alliances. Place feels empty because people are spread too thinly. No realistic economy or trading

The game needs a healthy dose of realism, choice/consequence (depth) and decent RPG elements. Letting people do anything without restriction isn't freedom. All it does is nerf anyone who doesn't play the "right" way and the game ends up shallow and pointless.

1) ARAC clans aren't anti-lore
    2) The new alignement system sounds like nothing more than a money sink = band-aid fix
    Turning Villages into Regional sources of Conflict and PvP hot Spots
    Xpiher's DF:UW Suggestion Thread

Thanks AV for fixing safe zones. It seems like the danger levels you talked about before beta were enough! Now FIX VILLAGES!

Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    1) ARAC clans aren't anti-lore
    That may be true if they were the exception to the rule rather than the norm. Every clan you see ingame is ARAC..I would have no problem with it if they were considered as racial traitors or something with some pro's/cons to playing that way. As it is theres no reason to have your clan with one racial alliance only because the game mechanics don't encourage it. So the game world feels fake and reduces my interest in taking part in it.

If it were normal for clans to be ARAC you wouldn't have racial alliance chat. You wouldn't get +alignment for killing enemies and -alignment for killing racial allies. You wouldn't have quest lines that are supposed to set you up for what the devs envisioned the game to play out like (go kill x humans and y dwarfs etc). You wouldn't be KOS to racial enemy cities, and the lore on the main site would be different. Just look at what is actually in the lore on DF (I know they removed the "racial enemy= X from the side at some point, but the other stuff is still there). Read the quests ingame. 99% of the population shouldn't be happily playing with racial enemies..20% would be fine but not the majority of the people you see ingame.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by melipone View Post
    I'd just like to play a game that feels like an RPG. Half the things that spoil this game do so because they just make no sense, like everyone being a Murderer, racial enemies all together in the same clans and alliances, everyone grinding the same skills/stats so they end up exactly the same as everyone else (why even have progression if we end up the same), territory control that ends up as just an excuse to go pvping rather than containing depth. No sense of community outside clans/alliances. Place feels empty because people are spread too thinly. No realistic economy or trading

The game needs a healthy dose of realism, choice/consequence (depth) and decent RPG elements. Letting people do anything without restriction isn't freedom. All it does is nerf anyone who doesn't play the "right" way and the game ends up shallow and pointless.
    This ! <3

That may be true if they were the exception to the rule rather than the norm. Every clan you see ingame is ARAC..I would have no problem with it if they were considered as racial traitors or something with some pro's/cons to playing that way. As it is theres no reason to have your clan with one racial alliance only because the game mechanics don't encourage it. So the game world feels fake and reduces my interest in taking part in it.

If it were normal for clans to be ARAC you wouldn't have racial alliance chat. You wouldn't get +alignment for killing enemies and -alignment for killing racial allies. You wouldn't have quest lines that are supposed to set you up for what the devs envisioned the game to play out like (go kill x humans and y dwarfs etc). You wouldn't be KOS to racial enemy cities, and the lore on the main site would be different. Just look at what is actually in the lore on DF (I know they removed the "racial enemy= X from the side at some point, but the other stuff is still there). Read the quests ingame. 99% of the population shouldn't be happily playing with racial enemies..20% would be fine but not the majority of the people you see ingame.
    Then I'm back at my contention that if you want RAC only then the races you can pick at character creation is based on population density of the other races.

Also, you can have player politics separate from racial politics. The game suffers from not giving people the ability to actually fight for their race.
    Last edited by xpiher; 02-18-2011 at 21:31.

Thanks AV for fixing safe zones. It seems like the danger levels you talked about before beta were enough! Now FIX VILLAGES!

In the end you want the same things, an mmoRPG, not simply an mmofps that df currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by XiaN^ View Post
    isnt even funny how much superior UW already is even without the missing content. exceeds the realm of imagination how far superior it will be once the missing content is in.

4000+

inb4 500g per alignment point.

this gets a +1 from me

nail on head post

Quote Originally Posted by kilrain View Post
    In the end you want the same things, an mmoRPG, not simply an mmofps that df currently is.
    TBH personally I do want stronger RPG elements, but I would be happy with an mmofps too done well. I mean the RPG elements in DF actually detract from any sense of the game being an RPG as they are. Its like watching a movie with plot holes..most bad films can even get basic stuff right like making the thing immersive, following its own internal rules etc. It has to be a seriously bad film to contain gaping plot holes, characters suddenly doing things totally out of character, insanely unrealistic things etc.

It doesn't need to be a strong RPG game just to follow its own internal rules and not present an unimersive game world to the players. Even terrible FPS games manage to get that right generally

Normal User US1 Player

Hopefully these chaos churches are a lot more than just gold sinks. I would much prefer a time sink or a quest making one do something time consuming.

A gold sink would merely be a minor inconvenience for vets and potentially a large problem for a newer player. Let them both have to feel the effects of their choices.

Rewarding good players sounds very nice too. I've always been good and yet I can never be sure if anyone else is. I get attacked by blues all the time.

1000+

The fact that some of the good people are reading about the alignment changes and commenting about them shows that there is hope for DF if they make the alignment changes the right way.

I look forward to seeing the detail when it is released.

"The game needs a healthy dose of realism, choice/consequence (depth) and decent RPG elements. Letting people do anything without restriction isn't freedom. All it does is nerf anyone who doesn't play the "right" way and the game ends up shallow and pointless." - well said

Alright won't have meaning outside protecting newbies until people can pick to be anti-establishment faction and RvR is added.

I am not impressed with all that redeeming yourself in eyes of gods thing. Was it that hard to make you go red for 5 hours or so for every murder ?
    Well we will see when they show more details of that new system.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakamoz View Post
    I am not impressed with all that redeeming yourself in eyes of gods thing. Was it that hard to make you go red for 5 hours or so for every murder ?
    Time based murder systems are fucking terrible especially when going red isn't a choice.
    Last edited by xpiher; 02-18-2011 at 22:02.