Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Normal User

Default Do you hate Quests?

This is non-Darkfall specific.
    I would like to know from people who hate quests in computer games.
    Let me know if you simply dislike a certain aspect or type(formula) of quest.
    Or tell me why you hate quests, why you feel a game can get by without them.

Cheers in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falokis
    If you aren't grinding, you must be dying faster and more often than all the children in Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaratos
    I was gonna focus, I suddenly get really sick, cant study at all. All I can do is play some darkfall to ease the pain. I am a degenerate.

2000+

I don't like quests. I like to feel that a game is not a chore, and generally quests make me feel like the game is a chore. Go here and do this, collect x of y. Not fun in most cases.

I like to do in a game what I feel like doing, rather than what some pre-determined AI decided for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sagan
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

I like quests that are well done and have a good story.
    I do not however like my world to be entirely based around quests like WoW (even though wow does have good quests).
    In most sandbox games I like quest like they have in Eve, money makers. Short and quick
    they are also not a bad way of showing of lore and make the world more alive.

1000+

I hate quests as well. Makes me do something I don't care to do for x amount of time for some reward.

If the reward was a rare ingot, I'd rather go kill a monster to get the ingot and at least raise skills related to killing monsters rather than gathering carrots for the npc cook.

If I am fighting monsters dropping ingots, I will be frustrated by people gathering carrots near town and getting the same prize when i'm fighting/risking/dying

Something along those lines.

1000+ EU1 Player

im glad someone asks.
    i cant play an mmorpg that has quests anymore.

questing is the annoying version of grinding because u have to read all the shit and figure out where to go what to do.
    i prefer killing the same mobs at the same spot for hours and getting some random loot from them. i actually enjoy doing that sometimes because i can watch tv or something and feel relaxed. questing feels like a real job u are not getting paid for.
    it was an agony to get lvl70 on wow before getting to endgame and having some fun.

i enjoyed doing quests on baldurs gate and kotor but those games are brilliant. they feel like being in a book.

12,000+

Quests have to be organic. In an MMO that is nearly impossible to do. I would say I want some type of mechanic in game that allows users to create their own content.

An example what I have in mind would be faction leaders to be players and they set the goals they want. For example they want to outfit their armies so they set a reward for what they need. This would have to be balanced to make sure no douchebaggery occurs.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"

Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

I prefer quests that seem natural to the game's environment, and which develop either a side story or the main story. Most modern 'quests' are nothing more than simple tasks. An actual quest should be longer and more challenging, requiring some level of puzzle solving, exploration, tactics, or dialogue. Mistakes should be lethal or detrimental, and every choice should have a noticeable impact, with consequences that matter. Imagine a pebble landing in a lake; it should cause ripples, and perhaps several fish notice and come to the surface for a meal.

Such questing is absent in most MMORPGs, and that is partially due to the difficulty inherent in allowing permanent changes to the game world based on player action. Instancing is a solution, but that removes the MMO aspect and becomes a co-op multiplayer experience. Guild Wars 2, Rift, and The Old Republic feature dynamic content, but it is either cyclic, random, or instanced, and as such, independent of the storyline or lacking permanent impact on the open game world.
    http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2559/zebrahitlerie8.gif
    "Do not kick poor Spike, for he is old and weak and cannot harm you."
    Killer 86%/Explorer 73%/Achiever 20%/Socializer 20%
    Previously playing Shadowbane with The Crimson Brotherhood

12,000+

For example I liked Obvilion quests. Exploring mansions for dead bodies, looking for rebel leaders and such. That is kinda hard to do with an MMO since everyone is supposed to be a special fruitcake. As such only way to have individual quests like that is to let players make quests.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"

Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

Normal User

Default What if?

Quote Originally Posted by Larocco View Post
    u have to read all the shit
    What if it is a verbal quest? (no text unless you request it)
    Quote Originally Posted by Falokis
    If you aren't grinding, you must be dying faster and more often than all the children in Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaratos
    I was gonna focus, I suddenly get really sick, cant study at all. All I can do is play some darkfall to ease the pain. I am a degenerate.

Normal User

killing 10 boars... stupid..

collect 10 boar tusks.. stupid..
    - Captain Obvious (NA1)

2000+

I dont hate quests per say. I do however dislike games that heavily rely on generic quests to level or character build.

Normal User

I really hate generic collect/kill 10 rats quests. Epic quests like Everquest had were amazing.

8000+ Long term follower Tenebrion's Avatar

I don't like quests unless they're in a single-player game with a very good storyline pertaining to me directly.

MMO quests are generally just bullshit added to make the triviality of leveling in a theme-park more tolerable.

Enchanting Information

Darkfall : It needs more cows
    -Lord Tenebrion
    The Mercenary Merchant :
    Most Powerful Man In Agon.

MMO questings is something I no longer have patience for.

Single player quests that are well done I really enjoy. Vampire the masquerade or Baldur's gate would be examples of questing that I loved.
    "Locked. Saying Scots have thievery in their genes is a no-no."

"That's like being the best cripple in the special Olympics."

Quests in MMORPGs, especially in WoW and its clones are entirely pointless, except for the XP and the occasional item. Still, I prefer doing quests instead of grinding mobs in WoW, although I don't bother reading them anymore. Their text is boring and the only reason to bother reading is to get some insight into the lore - but do I care? No. I can't say how ToR is gonna be, but so far stories in MMORPGs were boring. Devs try to make quests interesting (WoW has a nice variety of different quest types), but the problem is that they are the most important part of character progression of themeparks. That's why there's thousands of them in each game and therefore they become boring and repetitive. I don't see how themeparks could get away from that system, for sandboxes I would say less quests, make them something special. Something that is, when you are given the opportunity to accept a quest, you wanna do it because of great rewards.
    Last edited by nizzie; 01-29-2011 at 11:07.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyldor Gwyvallt View Post
    Obviously all this in the US...the country where a fanatical worship of science has replaced any true religious sense or any balanced perception of LIFE