Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Income Tax

Default Income Tax

I've heard a lot of "frivolous arguments" that fail in court (though, some of those failed in spite of being logically sound because juries are not bound by logic)... but I've never heard the following argument before.

http://www.truthattack.org/jml/index...:faq&Itemid=16

I'm interested in what commentary forumfall has to provide on that argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exevos View Post
    nacitar has never used any (to my knowledge) exploit maneuvers, glitches, and/or bugs... He has always been adamant in his ways, ... having been totally legit since launch, a feat many of us have failed.

5000+

this is going to get uglier than a theists/atheists thread
    Frumpy Lump's rage
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    He said consumers make jobs appear. Let him explain how that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    I've done shit you probably would faint from even thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    At least I get to fuck.
    http://www.twitch.tv/makestro

since when does the Gov tax 100% income?
    Turning Villages into Regional sources of Conflict and PvP hot Spots
    Xpiher's DF:UW Suggestion Thread

Thanks AV for fixing safe zones. It seems like the danger levels you talked about before beta were enough! Now FIX VILLAGES!

Normal User

Default crazy

The moment he mentioned god I closed the page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falokis
    If you aren't grinding, you must be dying faster and more often than all the children in Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaratos
    I was gonna focus, I suddenly get really sick, cant study at all. All I can do is play some darkfall to ease the pain. I am a degenerate.

Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    since when does the Gov tax 100% income?
    In general, all of your income is subject to income tax, is how I read it. Of course, deductions may add on to that... but I still think that was what he was claiming.

As in, it's a certain percentage of tax(say, 30%.. I don't know the real number), applied to a certain percentage of your earnings (100% of your earnings).

"We have a 30% tax on income, which applies to ALL of your income of any form, rather than part of it"

I could have misread that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SphereOfDeath View Post
    He claimed the supreme court held that bit with "God" in it... maybe they have? He should substantiate that claim though, but in his context he isn't making that assertion, he's claiming the supreme court has...
    Last edited by Abaratican; 01-28-2011 at 00:07.
    nacitar has never used any (to my knowledge) exploit maneuvers, glitches, and/or bugs... He has always been adamant in his ways, ... having been totally legit since launch, a feat many of us have failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Abaratican View Post
    In general, all of your income is subject to income tax, is how I read it. Of course, deductions may add on to that... but I still think that was what he was claiming.
    But all your income isn't subject to the tax
    Turning Villages into Regional sources of Conflict and PvP hot Spots
    Xpiher's DF:UW Suggestion Thread

Thanks AV for fixing safe zones. It seems like the danger levels you talked about before beta were enough! Now FIX VILLAGES!

How do you figure? I don't claim to know tax laws fully, but I've never heard income tax expressed as anything other than:

"If your income range is between $X and $Y, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is Z%."

Even with deductions and exemptions, those deductions and exemptions are applying to the whole. You don't start with 50% of your income being relevant to the tax, you start with 100% and add on deductions... And those deductions/exemptions are tacked on, not part of income tax in its general form... are they not?

Also note what value they use for "income" when they refer to an income range...it's all of it.

EDIT: though, this does highlight a potential weakness of his argument.
    Last edited by Abaratican; 01-28-2011 at 00:34.

8000+ Long term follower Tenebrion's Avatar

How do you figure?
    Because he's actually read a W2 form? Maybe?

Enchanting Information

Darkfall : It needs more cows
    -Lord Tenebrion
    The Mercenary Merchant :
    Most Powerful Man In Agon.

12,000+

I don't think fighting this in courts will ever bear fruit. What stops the population from simply demanding that these loop holes are taken out?
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"

Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrion View Post
    Unfortunately that's actually a fair argument, as I've historically crutched on my family for getting my taxes done (as several of them used to be tax practitioners).

I'm taking the reigns this year though.

10,000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrion View Post
    Unfortunately that's actually a fair argument, as I've historically crutched on my family for getting my taxes done (as several of them used to be tax practitioners).

I'm taking the reigns this year though.
    It's an excuse but not exactly a rebuttal of the claim in the link. Deductions are arbitrary and require that certain criteria be met; none of which has anything to do w/ the actual value of the 'basis' or 'expense' incurred by the individual to earn his 'gross revenue'.

Most deductions, in fact, have little if nothing to do w/ an individual's 'cost of goods sold' although they might cover some 'administrative costs' to use equivalent corporate terminology where true income only is taxed and not gross revenue.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
    If 3/4 of all the money spent on defense was diverted into education funds, public school would be dirt cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Sparrow View Post
    99% of human resource offices are paid for by grants (non-tax dollars).

Quote Originally Posted by SphereOfDeath View Post
    why?

the gov takes 30 percent, god only wants 10

more service for less cost, imo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    Unless you assume a God, the question of life’s purpose is meaningless.

11,000+

Am I right in thinking that Americans need to fill out tax forms themselves?

Over here it's all handled by employers.

Edit: And Xipher is right, not all your income is subject to tax. Only what's over some arbitary amount that the government decides and some special cases.
    Last edited by 88Chaz88; 01-28-2011 at 15:33.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc View Post
    You are clearly awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by StainlessSteelRat View Post
    Being socially progressive does not make you 'advanced'.

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by 88Chaz88 View Post
    Am I right in thinking that Americans need to fill out tax forms themselves?
    You are correct.

11,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Rachsucht View Post
    You are correct.
    Why?

Here it's easily done via your employer. I do it sometimes for my company. You just take the tax out according to the tax band the employee is on, keep it back for the quarter, and pay the employee minus tax.

You don't confuse the layman with making him/her do it themselves (I work in accounts and wouldn't expect others to do the job I'm paid for), and they don't have to personally send the government a big cheque for a service that you can't really see in the physcal sense.

No wonder you guys are unhappy if you're made to give away your pay every so often. I just see my pay as being what it is after tax is taken out, not before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc View Post
    You are clearly awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by StainlessSteelRat View Post
    Being socially progressive does not make you 'advanced'.