Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56

Thread: Rift!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    The only reason to PvP is to grind, even with FFA PvP and Full loot there wouldn't be enough sandbox to it to make it not a themepark game.
    While I wouldn't consider PvP to be a pointless grind, the criticism of inconsequential rewards is unfortunately valid. My primary issue with Rift is the absence of any risk whatsoever - no item loss, and minimal time delay for re-entry into battles. That is somewhat ameliorated by the ability to push into the opposing faction's land, open rifts, and butcher quest givers, but the adrenaline rush is lacking. I don't experience that unless the potential for significant loss is present. A comparatively significant reward is necessary to provide sufficient instigation for conflicts to develop, such as looting (Darkfall) or control of contested keeps that provide realm benefits (DAoC).
    http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2559/zebrahitlerie8.gif
    "Do not kick poor Spike, for he is old and weak and cannot harm you."
    Killer 86%/Explorer 73%/Achiever 20%/Socializer 20%
    Previously playing Shadowbane with The Crimson Brotherhood

I've been watching a lot of Minecraft videos lately. Just heard about the game yesterday. Looks like it was made in 1996 but it's probably the most enjoyable game out there now.

Why can't an MMO take the concepts of a true sandbox like Minecraft, give it decent graphics, and turn it into an MMO?

Procedural generation would allow for a map hundreds of times the size of earth, so space isn't an issue. It expands as more people join. I just can't even begin to imagine how epic it would be to log in to an MMO and start to build from little resources my own little corner of the world and defend it against stuff and keep mining and building and all that.

Darkfall is cool, but it's ALL about clan warfare and PvP, it's not about building or exploring or collecting. That's what I truly, truly want.

Yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    I've been watching a lot of Minecraft videos lately. Just heard about the game yesterday. Looks like it was made in 1996 but it's probably the most enjoyable game out there now.

Why can't an MMO take the concepts of a true sandbox like Minecraft, give it decent graphics, and turn it into an MMO?
    The closest MMO to Minecraft would be Wurm Online, and maybe Xsyion, but not sure about that last one.
    Irenor Rainstone
    "Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post

Procedural generation would allow for a map hundreds of times the size of earth, so space isn't an issue. It expands as more people join. I just can't even begin to imagine how epic it would be to log in to an MMO and start to build from little resources my own little corner of the world and defend it against stuff and keep mining and building and all that.

Darkfall is cool, but it's ALL about clan warfare and PvP, it's not about building or exploring or collecting. That's what I truly, truly want.
    Play haven and hearth
    Turning Villages into Regional sources of Conflict and PvP hot Spots
    Xpiher's DF:UW Suggestion Thread

Thanks AV for fixing safe zones. It seems like the danger levels you talked about before beta were enough! Now FIX VILLAGES!

The thing with minecraft is that, even though the graphics are terrible, you have a fantastic sense of control over your little character. All actions you do yourself, it just feels fluid. Haven and Hearth.. eh I just can't get into that kind of point and click style.

Good graphics are a plus, Wurm online definitely looks better than minecraft, but it doesn't feel quite right. The interface is way too overloaded and hmm.. just different. Still, it's indeed as close as I can tell to minecraft online.

Yummy.