Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Default Port Defense software?

Anyone know of a port defense software, for lack of a better term, for windows? Something like Portsentry (cant use on windows)? Or something that does 'TCP wrapping'? Stuff that essentially secures your ports?

Quote Originally Posted by Branwulf View Post
    Criminals will always get their weapons, it's the fucking lunatics that you should be worried about Colonist.
    Quote Originally Posted by United States Department of Education
    Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a Bolshevik forever.

I'd recommend a battle ship and anti-aircraft cannons, you'll be more secure then pearl harbor.

Are you on a network with other people? Or is this just home use?

Need more details to advise you mang.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevron View Post
    I play Halo and I'm autistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema View Post
    Are you on a network with other people? Or is this just home use?

Need more details to advise you mang.
    Just me. Although I might be on a network with significant others in the future, so all the info I can get is good.

Criminals will always get their weapons, it's the fucking lunatics that you should be worried about Colonist.

You really just need, for home use, a small Linksys router/firewall. That should really be sufficient for your needs. If you want a robust anti-virus, Sophos is a great product.

What are your concerns, or what is driving this inquiry? Are you worried about someone haxing you or what?

You really just need, for home use, a small Linksys router/firewall. That should really be sufficient for your needs. If you want a robust anti-virus, Sophos is a great product.

What are your concerns, or what is driving this inquiry? Are you worried about someone haxing you or what?
    Already happened. Total data loss (thank God I had backed most of it up).

My router failed me.

Do you mean Sophos antiroot? I just got that. You think it will help?
    Last edited by Gloomrender; 01-22-2011 at 04:56.

Sophos is more like an anti-virus with actual detection capabilities. If you are saying you were hacked, and they wiped your machine, then yes firewalls etc.. is what you should look into.

Was it a virus or an actual person that prompted all this?

Sophos is more like an anti-virus with actual detection capabilities. If you are saying you were hacked, and they wiped your machine, then yes firewalls etc.. is what you should look into.

Was it a virus or an actual person that prompted all this?
    Which one on this page?

http://www.sophos.com/products/enterprise/free-trials/

It was an actual personal attack, I believe from someone who may have gotten my IP somehow.

Sounds more likely that someone had physical access to your machine but if you are really concerned about someone coming over the wire, you just need to get a basic Linksys router, only this time change the default password to something actually difficult.

Then get Sophos Anti-virus to protect yourself from malicious netcode/viruses/anything else.

Sophos also has a firewall component which you could implement which would further secure you.

Depending on what OS you are running, you could be running more risks than necessary.

Sounds more likely that someone had physical access to your machine but if you are really concerned about someone coming over the wire, you just need to get a basic Linksys router, only this time change the default password to something actually difficult.

Then get Sophos Anti-virus to protect yourself from malicious netcode/viruses/anything else.

Sophos also has a firewall component which you could implement which would further secure you.

Depending on what OS you are running, you could be running more risks than necessary.

Could you please link me to that specific software page for Sophos? The website has all kinds of different stuff which is not named "Sophos antivirus".

I run Windows 7 by the way, what do you mean?

How would I set up that password for a linksys?

Quote Originally Posted by Gloomrender View Post
    Could you please link me to that specific software page for Sophos? The website has all kinds of different stuff which is not named "Sophos antivirus".

I run Windows 7 by the way, what do you mean?

How would I set up that password for a linksys?
    You really just need to work on securing your router, it's the only way someone could get to your computer.

Here is the sophos anti-virus, third one down?
    https://secure.sophos.com/products/s...ti-virus/eval/

Changing your router password is easy, just log into it in a web browser and you can figure out the rest.

I would change your IP range
    I would reset the default admin login and password

If you type 'ipconfig' at a command prompt, whatever it lists for your gateway = your router. Put that in a web browser, then log in. If you left it default, it's admin with a blank password.

I'll do this. Thanks.

Say, how much does the full version of sophos antivirus cost? And it will work with W7? Easy to use?
    Last edited by Gloomrender; 01-22-2011 at 09:56.

Im not exactly sure why you would need a "port defense" software. Never even heard of one. If your worried someone might be stealing information then get anti keylogging software, make sure you password your computer, password wireless, network discovery off, etc.

The movie hackers, although amazing, really doesn't happen in RL. So as long as you take basic precautions you should be fine.
    Astinus Darksoul - Scourge

Anti-Grind Coalition
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/group.php?groupid=109
    Save Darkfalls population today.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroCool View Post
    Im not exactly sure why you would need a "port defense" software. Never even heard of one. If your worried someone might be stealing information then get anti keylogging software, make sure you password your computer, password wireless, network discovery off, etc.

The movie hackers, although amazing, really doesn't happen in RL. So as long as you take basic precautions you should be fine.
    My computer is proof that I was hacked. I'm looking at it right now. I took every precaution including anti-keylogging software and none if it was enough to stop total data loss.
    Last edited by Gloomrender; 01-24-2011 at 02:25.