Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP! *cries*

9000+

Default HELP! *cries*

Couldn't get into my router since noone in my family knew the password so I restarted it from scratch (putting a pencil into it). Now a much larger problem has happened. When I try to install it again it refuses to connect to the modem (saying that there's a problem with the cable, but I've checked it out and tried another one without any improvement). There's a lamp on the router that should turn green once it got connection to the internet but it stays orange.

I've tried connecting the computer directly to the modem, and it doesn't work. Even after restarting it from scratch.

The router is a D-link: DIR-600
    The modem is a: speed touch home pots network terminator

Anyone knows what the problem could be?
    Fuck you.

5000+

Used to have really shitty connection with an ADSL modem. Had to restart it frequently by unplugging it for several minutes, waiting for ISP to get their act together or restarting my computer.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

9000+

Quote Originally Posted by Weeking View Post
    Used to have really shitty connection with an ADSL modem. Had to restart it frequently by unplugging it for several minutes, waiting for ISP to get their act together or restarting my computer.
    I've tried unplugging both my modem and my router for a whole hour (watching fat people at camp on TV ftw) and it didn't work, and neither did restarting my computer (not that it should work, as the problem is probably the router).
    Fuck you.

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Aragoni View Post
    Couldn't get into my router since noone in my family knew the password so I restarted it from scratch (putting a pencil into it). Now a much larger problem has happened. When I try to install it again it refuses to connect to the modem (saying that there's a problem with the cable, but I've checked it out and tried another one without any improvement). There's a lamp on the router that should turn green once it got connection to the internet but it stays orange.

I've tried connecting the computer directly to the modem, and it doesn't work. Even after restarting it from scratch.

The router is a D-link: DIR-600
    The modem is a: speed touch home pots network terminator

Anyone knows what the problem could be?

By reseting the router, you also reset the username/password your ISP has preset for you most likely.

Go into the router menu and set the username/password after picking PPPoE(username/password) as protocol, which is the most likely protocol you are using. Might have to change that if it s different for you.

The username and password should be contained somewhere in the mail you got of your ISP. If you lost it or don t know where it is, then call your ISP and ask.

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2104/41820158.png

save settings and let it connect.

It is also possible that your ISP includes a special setup CD which makes those settings easier for you, by asking only for what s really important (username+password) and then reseting + setting up the router for you.
    Last edited by pZombie; 12-07-2010 at 21:56.

Banned

Usually the username is admin or nothing and the password nothing

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Scully View Post
    Usually the username is admin or nothing and the password nothing

I should have been more specific.

This is NOT the password used to log into your router menu, but the username/password required to build a connection with your ISP.

Different things altogether.

11,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Aragoni View Post
    It resets the username and password. You're gonna need to go into your router to change it. That means getting the password. For a D-Link the username is usually: admin, password: admin.

Then you'll need to find the username and password your ISP provided you with to connect to the internet. Alternatively load up some saved settings, although I doubt you saved them.

You did a pretty big boo boo though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc View Post
    You are clearly awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by StainlessSteelRat View Post
    Being socially progressive does not make you 'advanced'.

Quote Originally Posted by pZombie View Post
    I should have been more specific.

This is NOT the password used to log into your router menu, but the username/password required to build a connection with your ISP.

Different things altogether.
    From the sounds of it, he isnt able to communicate with the modem, even directly attached to. from the sounds of it, he cant even get to the log in for it...which means the modem is probably screwed.

Reset the modem and if it isnt giving all green, call your ISP.

11,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegler View Post
    From the sounds of it, he isnt able to communicate with the modem, even directly attached to. from the sounds of it, he cant even get to the log in for it...which means the modem is probably screwed.
    Nah, it's just not connecting to his ISP. I have a D-Link and had the same problem when setting it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc View Post
    You are clearly awesome.
    Being socially progressive does not make you 'advanced'.

Dlink ftl
    SupremeGeneral of Agon.

5000+

They might have banned you from the network, like I just did at my brother. Fucking dick didn't stop to upload at high priority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasos View Post
    I've never lifted in my life but I'll go and see how much I can bench and let you guys know.

10,000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegler View Post
    Reset the modem and if it isnt giving all green, call your ISP.
    This.

Never heard of needing a userID and pw to connect to ISP. What country you in zombie?

3000+

This.

Never heard of needing a userID and pw to connect to ISP. What country you in zombie?
    greece, but it s the same in germany and many other european countries.

Also, this is the case with ADSL modems connecting via the normal phone line which rarely belongs to the ISP offering you the server (last mile).

Not sure if that matters, but there has to be a reason why they require name/password instead of just letting you go through.
    In theory it should be possible to avoid this, if there was good communication between the last mile provider and the ISP offering you the service.

Anyway, i am not going to break my head on this, but fact is that you require name/password in most european nations when you want to connect via ADSL boardband

Normal User

I live in Europe and no1 needs a password to get internet. Everything is on automatic retrieval. You just need to plug in the cable :/ (ofc its different for wireless).

Its prolly better to contact your ISP technical help and have them tell you what to do over the phone or get them to go to your house :/
    Thaliost Riverblade

[EU]Immortals: recruiting for DF:UW

Casual Darkfall Blog [Last Update: August, 8th, 2012: DanesLaw tried to steal Immortals' Home o_O]

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Thaliost View Post
    I live in Europe and no1 needs a password to get internet. Everything is on automatic retrieval. You just need to plug in the cable :/ (ofc its different for wireless).

Its prolly better to contact your ISP technical help and have them tell you what to do over the phone or get them to go to your house :/
    Stop spouting nonsense.

How do you know that "NOONE" needs a password? Obviously, many do. I had several ISPs across europe and they ALL needed a name and pass.

Just because your devices come pre- configured and you did not notice it or because your ISP did not require it, does not entitle you to speak for every ISP.