Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4000+ Long term follower

Default As a veteran, when is Darkfall going to be what was promised?

Darkfall was a big thing before it was released. Promised a lot of things. I played it from beta to almost a year.

When Is Darkfall going to be what was promised?

Sure I had fun when I played, hunting orcs and maharim and beating them to death, but the game didn't live up to it's promise which is why I left.

When is DF going to look at it's ancient dev logs and impliment what was meant to fucking be?

Normal User US1 Player

Some things they have said wouldnt work in a game like darkfall in theory. Many companies changes the way of developing after a while its nothing old or unique.

what points where it you were talkin about?

4000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by adam_1994 View Post
    Some things they have said wouldnt work in a game like darkfall in theory. Many companies changes the way of developing after a while its nothing old or unique.

what points where it you were talkin about?
    All of them!

4000+ Long term follower

Seems to me Darkfall was on one hell of a course before one fatass named Tasos took over. Tasos always reminded me of tassels, and I expected some titties, but was only left wanting for Claus.

Playing since release. Darkfall is great and has improved since then. But yes, you're right somehow. Darkfall could be much much more already.

4000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by Umki Bloodsoul View Post
    Playing since release. Darkfall is great and has improved since then. But yes, you're right somehow. Darkfall could be much much more already.
    Question is, how long do they need to bring the game to what was promised? They've had all the time in the world IMO. I feel they are nonplussed.

Community Liaison

I think mentioning points which from your perspective were promised and not delivered would turn this into some kind of discussion.

Either features you think were not implemented at all or features which (this is probably more likely the case) were implemented but not to your liking.
    "All of them" is really not a base for discussion.

Also, keeping it down with the name calling will ensure a longer and less troll infested life for this thread

Normal User

For those interested:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/9082373/Darkfall-Interviews

286 pages of DF developer interviews from years 2001-2008.

4000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by Laenih View Post
    I think mentioning points which from your perspective were promised and not delivered would turn this into some kind of discussion.

Either features you think were not implemented at all or features which (this is probably more likely the case) were implemented but not to your liking.
    "All of them" is really not a base for discussion.

Also, keeping it down with the name calling will ensure a longer and less troll infested life for this thread
    Well I guess it has been a long time, and people don't know what I'm referring to. So I'll help the topic along, without the name calling to certain fatasses.

Where are the mobs, goblins, dragons who seek gold and attack player made structures?

Where is wild magic? "Claus: Well we have about 500 spells designed on paper, so I think we have just about all the spells you can think of, in some form or another. The weirdest ones can be found in the magic school of Wild Magic. Spells in this school are true to their name, so expect some wild effects. An example is the spell Twist. When cast, you attempt to switch current hitpoints with the target..."

Where are meaningful conquests? "

Among other things, we hope that deep-rooted racial enmities and affinities will inspire meaningful (in the context of the game-world) conflicts and alliances between clans.
    For racial conflicts to work in a dynamic game-world, we need to balance the design very carefully. Bear in mind that, if a mirdain clan is defeated by a mahirim clan, its former territory is lost to the mirdain realm and added to the mahirim Tribelands. Thus, if Darkfall's races were poorly balanced, entire realms could disappear within weeks of launch."

Where are unique items? "- Unique Items - Powergamers go woot. What can be cooler than having the only "Meleks Flaming Purple Twohanded Sword of Doom" on the Server? Ok, so maybe not purple, but you get the point. Theres a certain degree of satisfaction to be achieved when you hack someone down with your unique weapon in a big battle and everyone gets to see it."

Where are territorial resources? "- Territorial Control of Resources - The fact that each Kingdom will have specific resources, and that not every Kingdom will have the resources it needs to build weapons of war has put some real value on controlling real-estate. Sure there is territorial control in previous games, but this is the first to make it an integral part of a guild or clans success in warfare. By controlling specific types of resources, and not having control of others, it FORCES guilds to either seek out and conquer territory or be forced to trade for war supplies."

Where is the lack of treadmill? "- No Levelling Treadmill - While some people actually enjoy mindlessly whacking down the same mob you have already killed 24,000 times in the last few days, most PVP minded gamers do not. Shadowbane was on the right track by making it possible to develop a character to combat readiness within a few days. In Darkfall, by removing the levelling treadmill and making the entire advancement system skill based, the downtime usually spent getting your character prepared for combat is lowered significantly."

Where is the lack of skill cap? "- No limit to the number of skills you can learn - While being a GM in 34 skills is unlikely, the ability to be GM at a bunch of them is there."

Where are the large, scalable worlds? "- Each world may host as many as 20,000 players - This is perhaps one of the most fascinating aspects of Darkfall, and is a topic which will receive an article all its own in the future. For now, the summary is that Darkfall will take advantage of some of the most cutting advances in server and operating systems technology and provide a truly "next generation MMOG" environment. Historically speaking, MMOG's servers would host anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand players, and have many "worlds" to accomidate a large player-base. By utilizing server clusters of as many as 50 servers load-balancing one game "world", Darkfall will allow a vast number of gamers to participate in the same gaming world."

Where are kill trophies? "- Trophies - Skulls and Ears - Some UO veterans remember the good old days of carving up bodies and bagging the body parts to brag about later. Ok ok, it sounds sick and depraved, which it probably is, but in a game where l337 pvp skillz are something to be proud of you want to have something to show your ability to dominate. In Darkfall we will again see "trophies" such as skulls and ears. As long as they are marked with the names of the victems they came from pvp'ers go woot!"

Where are the framerate promises? Many people quite because large sieges were under 10fps. "- Frame rate target of 30 FPS - I have a dream. A dream of a PVP MMOG where you can enter battle with many combatants and not L----L----L----LAA----AAA----GGG with choppy frame rate or poor communication with the server because of fat net-code or cheesy bandwidth usage. Nothing is more fun than getting fired up for a good session of pvp, getting your teammates on voice comms, setting up your team with the right mix of fire power, assembling your forces, travelling all the way to where you are going to pwn your enemy, then crashing as soon as the two groups see each other on screen. Yay fun, I think Ill go watch some paint dry. While I am not saying that Darkfall will be that way, some current MMOG's (im not mentioning names) are. The developers have mentioned that they are shooting for a target frame rate of 30 FPS regardless of the number of objects being loaded, and that the engine will compensate level of detail to get it there. For this, I am kind of jacked up."

Why are there safe zones? "- No safe zones - There are few things more frustrating than identifying your quarry, sometimes stalking them until they are in a good strategic position, then unloading with everything you have only to have them flee into a safe zone. Newbie zones you say? Excuse me a moment while I laugh evilly. Protected cities with super-uber guards or "non-combat" areas? Bwahahaha. There will be no such thing as a safe zone in Darkfall. If that annoying n00b next to you spews something moronic and thinks he is safe while in town you can just BLAM show him the folly of his ways. Major guild looking for some action? Just raid the GM placed cities, slaughter all the guards, and go n00b hacking all you want. Granted, not all guilds would commit such a horrendous act of butchery, but hey some would, and have been frustrated by the fact that they couldnt in past games."

And that's only from 02, to 03..

4000+ Long term follower

This game has failed in almost every form of every promise. I could literally go on and on for pages and pages. I've saved each and every dev log on this game. Every quote, every idea, every failure. This is not the Darkfall you were dying for, and it seems it never will be, thanks to certain fatasses, with tassels.

Quote Originally Posted by Azdul View Post
    For those interested:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/9082373/Darkfall-Interviews

286 pages of DF developer interviews from years 2001-2008.
    We can't say a lot about that, but I can say so much that there are animals you can use in the game. For example the Pegasus. With this one you can physically get on top of the animal and fly away controlling it in the air. You can also fight others while airborne. There is also happening things under water, like in EverQuest. EverQuest was the first game where you could swim around freely under water, and we are taking this a bit further as things will also be taking place under water. There will be underwater dungeons and civilizations as well.
    wtb pegasus pst
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=380771&date  line=1345590091

4000+ Long term follower

This game was to be the be all, end all in MMO's. I waited for years for this game, since Shadowbane.

You people, the consumers need to ask why. Why isn't this game what it pretended to be, why are you not getting what was planned?

I guess for AV the sandbox content implementation is the last position on a long todo list.

Normal User

Without race wars and prestige classes this game is only big quake arena where everyone is same, only race and play time matters.

Quake Arena was (still is) epic. Take rocket launcher and send someone into space = win.

But Darkfall try to be same in MMORPG form so for these 5 minutes of PvP fun you have to grind skill/stats/gear fo X hours = fail.

I loled in ventrio so many times playing Quake Arena with friends and everything was about your skills. In Darkfall people in ventrio only told you they dont go PvP because they dont have X spell or Y stat or have to farm gold. (It was mainly in times before second expansion, without nukes you was noone) And after third expansion I told my friend: "Hey what about give Darkfall another try?" and he check web pages and reply "WTF? That is not expansion, WTF everyone use that stupid rays, I am not interested in another grind..., WTF funhulks??????"

P.S.: I wanted Power Hour not AFK gain for lazy crybabies who want reward for nothing
    Dartax Dartahagen EU-1, 31st July 2009 - 1st June 2010

Normal User

Note: What is Darkfall?

Very frustrating video...
    Last edited by Dartax; 11-03-2010 at 11:09.
    Dartax Dartahagen EU-1, 31st July 2009 - 1st June 2010