Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Default How much strategy and cooperation?

I enjoy games that reward players for formulating strategies and utilizing each others' strengths and weaknesses. How far does strategy go in Darkfall? Are people just running around and stabbing or zapping the nearest moving object, or do groups take the time to plan their attack and invent new ways to use the game mechanics to their advantage?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Depends totally on the type of players you roll with.
    Some do, others don't.

Tactic alter the outcome of a battle as much as you make it do.
    However, most of the time, it's roaming around finding players to kill.
    Once you find one, you don't apply much of a strategy, you attack and due to the element of surprise you force them on the defensive.

In sieges there are tactics, you have to destroy walls, can use siege weapons, move troups to different defensive locations.
    Staying together and keeping track of your own has big impact on the outcome.

Thinking smart and moving away in the right time, going on the defensive to get assistance from your team mates, combat healing and similar things.
    Those are all tactics that are required for you to be successfull.

So.
    Summary:
    If you wish to be successfull, and you ain't just doing skirmishes and small scale pvp, then you will utilize strategies, the smaller battles the less tactics.
    You don't really have time to work out these splendid tactics in the heat of the battle now do you?

Quote Originally Posted by TradeCartel View Post
    I walk through the desolate NPC towns quite a bit and see obvious places where there's an Inn or an outdoor cafe, but I can't sit at the table with a group of adventurers in a tavern, have an ale, and share stories of my exploits
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSSzpsU_wdA

1000+ US1 Player

this game has the most potential for use of strategy of any fps, mmo, or any other game ive ever played

AND

once the strategy is decided on, you still might fail even if you have the perfect strategy if you do not execute it well showing player skill

game is a competitive pvpers dream, only thing that sucked was the grind but that is currently being adressed

large battles are almost always won first and foremost by strategy

you can win heavily outnumbered with a precise bait and ambush or decoy and flank etc....

tldr: how much strategy and cooperation? sky is the limit

7000+

Just like Maniac said.

I joined the biggest clan in DF and they really need tabard or something so you can reconize your own teamates. Scanning all players one by one to finally find a red is annoying. Tabard should cost money tho so large clan become more expensive to manage.

You should do like me. Join a large clan to advance fast. Once you become strong enough to solo, join a small clan.
    Before my 1 month ended, i joined a small clan of 12 members with 4 other alliance of small clans. Its more fun that way since you get to know each others. You also feel noticed during pvp instead of just being there and you feel much more useful both on vents and in the small team. Also, the group is never full so you dont need to scan anyone.
    Last edited by Realbigdeal22; 10-30-2010 at 07:52.
    The Ultimate Sticky Back

Quote Originally Posted by Itwasnt Luck View Post
    idk why people keep bringing this up. THE GOOD PLAYERS WILL NOT USE 1ST PERSON.

1000+

There are no limits to the amount of teamwork you can use in darkfall, every fight is different and there are many thing no one has done before, the sky is the limit. The larger the fights in darkfall the more important team work and strategy becomes.
    Hunson Abadeer

Quote Originally Posted by shook View Post
    There are no limits to the amount of teamwork you can use in darkfall, every fight is different and there are many thing no one has done before, the sky is the limit. The larger the fights in darkfall the more important team work and strategy becomes.
    The larger the fights the more lag and zerg oriented play. Zerg meaning the only strategy is rushing your opponent since you will not be able to successfully command your entire army with mad lag (all large sieges).

I can see strategy working in smaller battles, but large ones definitely not... until lag is fixed.

BTW how are battles now since the expansion?
    Shao Kahn - Defiance

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by CerealKillers View Post
    this game has the most potential for use of strategy of any fps, mmo, or any other game ive ever played
    both 2 of them?????

ahahah seriously.... you cannot even try to compare the strategy in this game with the strategy that you need on other mmorpgs.

did you ever seen an olimpic match on guild wars?

a relic raid on dark age of camelot?

what's the point in darkfall? the only strategy that you have is to attack the people that are grinding, and you name it pvp!

to have a strategy you need players with almost the same skills/equip,
    otherwise nothing is gonna work
    Originally Posted by Tasos lambouras(Associate Producer, Darkfall)
    If a PvP game has levels, the higher levels typically have an impossible advantage so you have to get to maximum level just to be viable and to hope for an even playing field. In Darkfall everyone is viable and can PvP from day one.

In large scale combat with building kingdoms strategy becomes less and less important because of missing travel time, protections,...

In group fights however strategy and individual skill is very important
    Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Playing Darkfall is the most fun I've ever had on a computer with my pants zipped up and both hands on the desk.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Shaoz View Post
    The larger the fights the more lag and zerg oriented play. Zerg meaning the only strategy is rushing your opponent since you will not be able to successfully command your entire army with mad lag (all large sieges).

I can see strategy working in smaller battles, but large ones definitely not... until lag is fixed.

Just because your clan and you were too awful to do anything but zerg people doesn't mean it takes skill. Please give me one example where all that was needed to win was a zerg change because you cannot command the whole army.

You prove my point, you get what you put into this game, there is no limit to the amount of team work and strategy you can implemented and it becomes harder to pull off with large numbers but the rewards are greater. Scrubs like you that put in no effort and are used to everything on a silver platter will get owned and quit.
    Hunson Abadeer

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by shook View Post
    Just because your clan and you were too awful to do anything but zerg people doesn't mean it takes skill. Please give me one example where all that was needed to win was a zerg change because you cannot command the whole army.

You prove my point, you get what you put into this game, there is no limit to the amount of team work and strategy you can implemented and it becomes harder to pull off with large numbers but the rewards are greater. Scrubs like you that put in no effort and are used to everything on a silver platter will get owned and quit.
    every player IS THE SAME, same skills, same stats, same equip.

a strategy is something like "kill the healer first", "interrupt the caster", "slow the tanks", etc.... etc...

df is pretty like UO, there werent any big group strategy....

the only strategy were into understand the enemies skills by his spells/equip
    If a PvP game has levels, the higher levels typically have an impossible advantage so you have to get to maximum level just to be viable and to hope for an even playing field. In Darkfall everyone is viable and can PvP from day one.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiHori View Post

a strategy is something like "kill the healer first", "interrupt the caster", "slow the tanks", etc.... etc...

Well obviously, you've never played the game.
    Impetuous Demise-Vigilante

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Demise1 View Post
    Well obviously, you've never played the game.
    so give me an example of strategy that you once used in this game.

Normal User US1 Player
    EU1 Player

Quote Originally Posted by Shaoz View Post

err have u even played the game?????? seriously??? no?

ever been to any sieges? no?

Tactics are the biggest deciding factor in darkfall pvp.

>This is whya group of 20 positioned well (like in a tunnel with only one enterance/exit creating a choke point) can easily kill 3-4x their numbers

>This is why splitting your force and flanking enemies from behind with cavalry can decimate enemy forces.

>This is why have a 2 man bait groups draw 10 people out of cities to be ambushed by 4 hiding in bushes outside

>This is why Supreme Generals and Siege leaders are focus fired down first

>This is why tactical retreats at the right time (making your enemy chase after you bloodthirstedly) can completely change around fights.

the list goes on.

basically - if you dont have a fucking clue what your talking about gtf out of these forums and stop putting off new players.

Normal User

so give me an example of strategy that you once used in this game.
    Coordinating field aoes, 90/100s, blinds, etc. Flanking(mounted flanks as well, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocQu...eature=related), pincering, ambushing, multi-prong attacks(Ex: boat shooting down a bindstone while having a ground army attack the city). Getting terrain advantages(Ex: retreating to high ground). The list goes on.
    Last edited by Demise1; 10-30-2010 at 20:00.
    Impetuous Demise-Vigilante

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Mister T View Post
    >group of 20 positioned well (like in a tunnel with only one enterance/exit creating a choke point) can easily kill 3-4x their numbers

>This is why have a 2 man bait groups draw 10 people out of cities to be ambushed by 4 hiding in bushes outside

>This is why Supreme Generals and Siege leaders are focus fired down first

>This is why tactical retreats at the right time (making your enemy chase after you bloodthirstedly) can completely change around fights.
    so this is strategy to you?????

have you ever played any other mmorpg?????