Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    3000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,041

    Default First Impressions

    tl:dr I like the game. I'm buying it.

    I've followed this game since almost as far back as '03 first as lurker then as ngonzogo then Zuku. Didn't get the game (for sundry uninteresting reasons) until I downloaded the two week trial. After eleven or so days, this is my take.

    The UI: I read a lot about how clunky and unintuitive the UI is. I don't play FPS so maybe I'm not a good judge but I don't think it's bad at all. It is highly customizable. My biggest issue is that I've had to learn to play right-handed b/c I'm not comfortable re-mapping the entire setup for left-handed play. I have not re-mapped a single key or button yet. I'm at the stage where I will want to start making changes, tho.

    COMBAT (in general): Again, I'm not an FPS'er so take that into account. Gear matters. Player stat/skill levels matter. Twitch matters. Ping matters. I guess this falls into the category of: Duh.
    This early on it's interesting to compare melee v. archery v. magic and see how different weapons work.

    PVE: There is a ton of PVE content. The world is there. I've played with no plan. I've read no guide. I just logged on and started playing. There are a lot of newb quests to get a person started and geared and introduced to various aspects of the game.

    PVP: Frankly, I expected to get ganked often. So far I've been ganked twice. I haven't seen anyone griefing noobs. Of course, I have nothing worth looting so... . Being this new, that's about all I have to contribute to the topic except to add that there are a lot of system messages regarding war declarations and alliance-building and challenges to property holdings.

    CRAFTING: Newb quests introduce crafting pretty well. You can make useful stuff from the get-go. High end crafted stuff is sold on the trade channel constantly.

    COMMUNITY: As I said, ganking/griefing of noobs is not rampant. Players do answer questions on chat. hash bowl set me up with a set of R30 Assassin's Bows he crafted. Noice! I'm thinking it's because us Orks are a better class of people than the other races.

    POPULATION: A little light. The only time I've faced competition for a camp was the noob gobbies just outside Flayed Elf but there are other gobbies around. No competition at any other camp. Still, if you want to be around people, you can find them. Clans actively recruit.

    PROGRESSION: Another common complaint is the need to grind skills. If you're going for high-end, competitive PVP then, yeah, you will need to grind. So far, just by playing and having fun I notice satisfying progression. However, I'm not in a rush. I like discovering content.

    SERVER STABILITY: Server went down once for an hour or two but other than that, server is stable.

    That's about it. If I haven't mentioned it (e.g. sounds, animation) then I probably don't think they're an issue or I really don't care.

    For a first game by a new company still working out issues and still adding content, DFO is very nice. Like I said, I like the game. I'm having fun.
    Last edited by Zuku; 10-23-2010 at 21:45.

  2. #2
    Normal User US1 Player
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    531

    Default

    Ive had the same exact experinence from you, really fun game already and ive only seen the tip of the iceberg
    Last edited by tk123; 10-23-2010 at 22:52.

  3. #3
    Normal User EU1 Trial Player
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    tl:dr I like the game. I'm buying it.

    I've followed this game since almost as far back as '03 first as lurker then as ngonzogo then Zuku. Didn't get the game (for sundry uninteresting reasons) until I downloaded the two week trial. After eleven or so days, this is my take.

    The UI: I read a lot about how clunky and unintuitive the UI is. I don't play FPS so maybe I'm not a good judge but I don't think it's bad at all. It is highly customizable. My biggest issue is that I've had to learn to play right-handed b/c I'm not comfortable re-mapping the entire setup for left-handed play. I have not re-mapped a single key or button yet. I'm at the stage where I will want to start making changes, tho.

    COMBAT (in general): Again, I'm not an FPS'er so take that into account. Gear matters. Player stat/skill levels matter. Twitch matters. Ping matters. I guess this falls into the category of: Duh.
    This early on it's interesting to compare melee v. archery v. magic and see how different weapons work.

    PVE: There is a ton of PVE content. The world is there. I've played with no plan. I've read no guide. I just logged on and started playing. There are a lot of newb quests to get a person started and geared and introduced to various aspects of the game.

    PVP: Frankly, I expected to get ganked often. So far I've been ganked twice. I haven't seen anyone griefing noobs. Of course, I have nothing worth looting so... . Being this new, that's about all I have to contribute to the topic except to add that there are a lot of system messages regarding war declarations and alliance-building and challenges to property holdings.

    CRAFTING: Newb quests introduce crafting pretty well. You can make useful stuff from the get-go. High end crafted stuff is sold on the trade channel constantly.

    COMMUNITY: As I said, ganking/griefing of noobs is not rampant. Players do answer questions on chat. hash bowl set me up with a set of R30 Assassin's Bows he crafted. Noice! I'm thinking it's because us Orks are a better class of people than the other races.

    POPULATION: A little light. The only time I've faced competition for a camp was the noob gobbies just outside Flayed Elf but there are other gobbies around. No competition at any other camp. Still, if you want to be around people, you can find them. Clans actively recruit.

    PROGRESSION: Another common complaint is the need to grind skills. If you're going for high-end, competitive PVP then, yeah, you will need to grind. So far, just by playing and having fun I notice satisfying progression. However, I'm not in a rush. I like discovering content.

    SERVER STABILITY: Server went down once for an hour or two but other than that, server is stable.

    That's about it. If I haven't mentioned it (e.g. sounds, animation) then I probably don't think they're an issue or I really don't care.

    For a first game by a new company still working out issues and still adding content, DFO is very nice. Like I said, I like the game. I'm having fun.

    Yea i agree with you on most points but the graphics settings.

  4. #4
    15,000+ Niburu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,406

    Default

    Wow very nice read.

    Regarding GUI: remove the bindings which switch your hotbars with SHIFT+1 (2,3,4 and so on). you end up sprinting and hitting a number to get your sword but you will switch hotbar.


    Regarding population: Orks are the least played race with dwarfs so ofc the starter areas are kinda empty
    Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Playing Darkfall is the most fun I've ever had on a computer with my pants zipped up and both hands on the desk.

  5. #5
    2000+
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,297

    Default

    Some of the minor issues bug the hell outa me more than major problems like balance and alignment not meaning anything. For instance running up a flight of steps and not being able to run over one of the steps and having to jump. That shit drives me bonkers. Besides that I am with you, the game is fun and has so much potential. Hopefully I wont still be saying that in a years time. I've been saying it a looooong time already.

  6. #6
    4000+ freakd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    SERVER STABILITY: Server went down once for an hour or two but other than that, server is stable.
    it is called maintanence and it is time when they do whole server backup and reset quite a lot of thing for game to function properly

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post

    My biggest issue is that I've had to learn to play right-handed b/c I'm not comfortable re-mapping the entire setup for left-handed play.

    I know people that use right click for W.
    Tab for GUI mode, and space bar for left click.

    You should get comfortable fast because the default controls are not lean. This game is 60% character control 10% skill and 30% luck.

  8. #8
    3000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Niburu View Post
    Wow very nice read.

    Regarding GUI: remove the bindings which switch your hotbars with SHIFT+1 (2,3,4 and so on). you end up sprinting and hitting a number to get your sword but you will switch hotbar.


    Regarding population: Orks are the least played race with dwarfs so ofc the starter areas are kinda empty
    Yea, that and right-click, as someone else mentioned, are two definite changes necessary.

  9. #9
    3000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shioni View Post
    I know people that use right click for W.
    Tab for GUI mode, and space bar for left click.

    You should get comfortable fast because the default controls are not lean. This game is 60% character control 10% skill and 30% luck.

    I like the TAB for GUI idea.

    I've been thinking of mapping Parry to Right-click.

  10. #10
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    207

    Default

    The only advice I have to anyone who enjoys a game is to stay off the forums, gaming forums are a place where only trolls and bigger trolls dwell, it is no place for someone who enjoys things. Enjoy your stay in the shire frodo........but don't leave....one does not simply walk into morador.
    Last edited by fistofdoom; 10-24-2010 at 13:54.
    why the fuCK would I want a caravan thats got no fuckin wheels?!?!

  11. #11
    15,000+ Niburu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    I like the TAB for GUI idea.

    I've been thinking of mapping Parry to Right-click.
    right click for parry is also nice.
    Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Playing Darkfall is the most fun I've ever had on a computer with my pants zipped up and both hands on the desk.

  12. #12
    Normal User EU1 Player
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    595

    Default

    all is ok whit DFO only one small detail is lacking and thats more ppl!
    like 200 more active players on each server wouldn't hurt.. and thats not that many so shouldn't be problem to get them.

    waiting for DFO 2.0

  13. #13
    Normal User Mako_Jak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    130

    Default

    I bought the game at EU launch but didn't get to play beyond a few days due to computer issues. I got tied up with various other things in the meantime and am just now getting into the game for the first time really. Having a blast so far. Talked a buddy into the trial, which is so far enjoying as well. We'll both likely be staying here.
    Last edited by Mako_Jak; 10-25-2010 at 01:51.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •