Default Considering restarting account and rerolling character

Heya guys! So I played darkfall for about 2 months about a year ago. I had an Orc and joined a very active and friendly guild. My problem, however, is that I didn't enjoy being an Orc very much. I mainly rolled one because I wanted to be a race not many people chose. So I think, having seen the racials and going with my original race choice, I want to create an Mirdain with a focus on melee and archery abilities. Kind of a bandit like character. My orc enjoyed axing a miner or two, but I never felt quite right sneaking around as a big oafish Orc. And Alfar are too bug eyed for my taste.

My main question for current players is: Is there a staggering amount of mirdain on NA 1? Would I essentially be one more elf in a sea of thousands?

Thanks!

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Rickman01 View Post
    Heya guys! So I played darkfall for about 2 months about a year ago. I had an Orc and joined a very active and friendly guild. My problem, however, is that I didn't enjoy being an Orc very much. I mainly rolled one because I wanted to be a race not many people chose. So I think, having seen the racials and going with my original race choice, I want to create an Mirdain with a focus on melee and archery abilities. Kind of a bandit like character. My orc enjoyed axing a miner or two, but I never felt quite right sneaking around as a big oafish Orc. And Alfar are too bug eyed for my taste.

My main question for current players is: Is there a staggering amount of mirdain on NA 1? Would I essentially be one more elf in a sea of thousands?

Thanks!
    1 player in a sea of thousands... race wise, elf or female human or dwarf or alfar are the sneakiest. by far. Go with elf, you won't regret it.
    Last edited by Daggermaniac; 08-30-2010 at 04:41.
    Ninjas colored Rainbow!
    we're like a flock of birds tbh. get on Z's level.
    -break qop
    [16:58:54] (Syllabuns Rend): im not gay
    [16:58:56] (Syllabuns Rend): i like to fart
    [16:58:59] (Syllabuns Rend): and play with my penis

Thanks a lot for the advice

Oh, and no offense meant by the Alfar comment haha :-D

2000+

Arrow

Believe Orcs and Dwarves have the lowest numbers, so if you wish to be "one of a few", and not Orc, you should go Dwarf.

They are however a bit wide and easy to spot sometimes, so if you wish to go Sneaky, Alfar is the best buy. But, at least Dwarf are short (hard to see) and have the same Reach as Humans and Mirdain, while Alfar have a shorter Reach. Also, with DF2010 they will become a lot less bug-eyed: Presenting: Male Alfar, upgraded model

Mirdain are good archers, and one of the reasons they are that is due to their tallness as they can see over the terrain easily. They are also thin, so they are a little sneaky, even if one can spot them if one is looking. They will also be getting a gay-reducer upgrade in DF2010: Patches, updates and Mirdains

Human females are however also quite sneaky: short, slender and Human reach. And will look quite good: Human Female Model in Progress

On the other hand, Alfar has the most players, and Mirdains are ahead of Dwarves and Orcs at least, and possibly even Mahirims, in number. And considering the female player population, a surprising number of Female Humans are out there.

So, my recommendation would be that if you haven't used up your Trial slot on your computer yet, try out the other races before you change and see how they play. And don't get too distracted by the fattyness of the dwarves, as they will also get a bit more trimmed in DF2010: Dwarf male model

Btw. Recommend Leather armors or even Robes if you wish to be sneaky, they don't shine. Pity they are crap in melee though.
    And furthermore: Fix the Alignment & Race Wars, put in Vendors even Newbs can sell stuff from, improve the GUI and put in Momentum in combat (“Headless-chicken” & “Bunnyjumpshooting” people are silly), and a LOT of players will return.

Normal User EU1 Player

The nice thing with the Orc male character imo is that you can stare on him for long periods of grinding without becoming gay.

FYI, dwarfs are the same height as humans. Except they are a lot fatter.
    "I May be dumb, but I'm not stupid!"
    - The Village Idiot

Normal User EU1 Player

We do like to eat
    "Little by little, one travels far.
    It's a dangerous business, going out the front door."

~ Grandpa Oski Skaldir, Bard Juggernaut of Fate. ~
    Good things can indeed come in small packages.

Wow, thanks a lot for the replies! I would definitely roll a Dwarf if they weren't so gigantic. The new male alfar model is a VAST improvement, thanks Zeb for the links. I will probably wait for the new expansion to come out to see whats going on with that before starting up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickman01 View Post
    Wow, thanks a lot for the replies! I would definitely roll a Dwarf if they weren't so gigantic. The new male alfar model is a VAST improvement, thanks Zeb for the links. I will probably wait for the new expansion to come out to see whats going on with that before starting up again.
    YOu might not have to...
    Tasos said that with racial changes they'll offer players an options to pick another race.
    How to be Ray Pew[NA1]

My Videos Older vids

Quote Originally Posted by Tasos View Post
    drinking gets in the way of my lifting

2000+

Arrow

If you are waiting for the new models, I do believe you will have to wait for quite a while though, since those are probably not coming before DF2010 with the DirX 11 upgrades to handle the extra strain of the improved graphics.

And, as this is a graphical upgrade and not race-rebalancing upgrade, one can not be sure AV will offer Race Change with it... but one can hope.

Not to mention that one can hope that the Dwarves are less gigantic in their next incarnation. At least they do seem to be a bit more regular-proportioned.
    And furthermore: Fix the Alignment & Race Wars, put in Vendors even Newbs can sell stuff from, improve the GUI and put in Momentum in combat (“Headless-chicken” & “Bunnyjumpshooting” people are silly), and a LOT of players will return.

4000+

the good news is, you could probably max your char out by the time the patch rolls around

Normal User

Other races have a smaller hit box than orcs but orcs do get longer reach to compensate for the disadvantage. I dont think the difference between the races will make it worth your while to reroll. Stick with your orc and join a clan. This will eliminate your problem of not having many to work with without losing 2 months work.