Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    8000+

Default DF and UO/Shadowbane

Ok I never did try UO or Shadowbane so I was just curious from people who tried either DF and one of them, or all three

Which is/was the most harsh game? cause in DF you just start out with a rather short newbie guide, naked with a leafblade. and did they have full loot or partial loot?

Also, which between UO and Shadowbane was the most simliar to Darkfall? did Darkfall just have a couple aspects of UO and Shadowbane?

Ahhh and one more question, if you tried both UO and Shadowbane, which one did you like better

8000+ Long term follower Tenebrion's Avatar

Ultima Online had a sandbox world that was more similar to Darkfall than Shadowbane, but Shadowbane had a more PVP-driven political system, making it more similar to Darkfall than Ultima Online.

Ultima Online had a harsher world, however, if for no other reason than all varieties of players were mixed together ; the PVEers, crafters, and socialites had to share a world with the murderers, thieves, and con-artists. But, one thing that was tough with Shadowbane was that it was possible for your enemies to literally burn your home to the ground (and was something that happened fairly regularly)

I liked Ultima Online's world the most, but prefered Shadowbane's largescale PVP.

I miss both games, and really regret that neither (truly) exists any more.
    Last edited by Tenebrion; 07-25-2010 at 19:35.

Enchanting Information

Darkfall : It needs more cows
    -Lord Tenebrion
    The Mercenary Merchant :
    Most Powerful Man In Agon.

8000+

omg both sound badass, thanks Tenebrion

Normal User

I loved UO, and id recommend you trying it with a good free server.

www.uosecondage.com Is the best I reckon.

^This pretty much.

I think Shadowbane was harsher though because your town that took you months to build could be burned down in 24 hours. But that's part of what made the game great, it was Braveheart-level dramatic and epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Branwulf View Post
    Criminals will always get their weapons, it's the fucking lunatics that you should be worried about Colonist.
    Quote Originally Posted by United States Department of Education
    Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a Bolshevik forever.

The big difference between UO and DF was that UO had way more social content ; there were bards, taverns, dragon-tamers, treasure hunters, fishing ships, houses that could be decorated, and more.

And, best of all, UO didn't have nearly as much of a time-sink to get shit done as DF does - gathering the mats for a set of gear only took a few minutes, traveling across the world could be done in seconds, and things like boats, houses, and vendors could be bought straight from NPC vendors for fairly cheap.

The nice thing about UO was that you didn't have to spend hours of your time looking for people to kill, or farming to replace your gear. If you died, it wasn't a problem, since you (most likely) had tons of drop bags in the bank - even if you were a relative newbie. As a result, casual PVP was easy to find, and non-stressful.

Enchanting Information

-Lord Tenebrion
    The Mercenary Merchant :

8000+

Holy shit I've been reading up on UO and I didn't know it got that complex

Quote Originally Posted by Jedicake View Post
    Holy shit I've been reading up on UO and I didn't know it got that complex
    While everything the people say above is true (more or less) UO has one big draw back, for me anything, and thats the combat system.

@ Tenebrion: Why should gear be so easy to replace?
    Last edited by xpiher; 07-25-2010 at 20:48.
    Turning Villages into Regional sources of Conflict and PvP hot Spots
    Xpiher's DF:UW Suggestion Thread

Thanks AV for fixing safe zones. It seems like the danger levels you talked about before beta were enough! Now FIX VILLAGES!

1000+

In UO, I was a dick. That game allowed for the most awesome and creative griefing ever seen.

Examples include:

• Dropping a chest with an explosion trap near the bank, waiting for some newbie to open it and looting him dry
    • Giving someone poisoned bread and watching them die after eating it, then looting them dry
    • Hiding in the bushes near someone's house and running through the door when they open it, then looting it dry
    • Selling someone a mismarked rune that (says it goes to a city but actually goes to the bottom of a dungeon. After they die, the mobs loot them dry (honestly).

There are many more, but that gives you an example. The game was pretty cool, but it suffered because they caved to the pve crowd. Trammel killed the pvp for good, but the murder count patch drove most pvp players away before that.

So I'd say UO had the potential to be much more harsh than Darkfall, but it also gave people ways to play the game without risking much (crafting especially). Unless you were aligned with order/chaos, towns were basically safe zones. All you had to do was type "Guards" and any attacker or thief would be instagibbed.
    Last edited by mcap; 07-25-2010 at 22:08.

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by mcap View Post
    In UO, I was a dick. That game allowed for the most awesome and creative griefing ever seen.

Examples include:

• Dropping a chest with an explosion trap near the bank, waiting for some newbie to open it and looting him dry
    • Giving someone poisoned bread and watching them die after eating it, then looting them dry
    • Hiding in the bushes near someone's house and running through the door when they open it, then looting it dry
    • Selling someone a mismarked rune that (says it goes to a city but actually goes to the bottom of a dungeon. After they die, the mobs loot them dry (honestly).

There are many more, but that gives you an example. The game was pretty cool, but it suffered because they caved to the pve crowd. Trammel killed the pvp for good, but the murder count patch drove most pvp players away before that.

So I'd say UO had the potential to be much more harsh than Darkfall, but it also gave people ways to play the game without risking much (crafting especially). Unless you were aligned with order/chaos, towns were basically safe zones. All you had to do was type "Guards" and any attacker or thief would be instagibbed.
    Good times!

We used to mark runes (mismarked) while my pals waited at the location to ambush them. When they popped in they would find themselves surrounded and quickly die. Watching the nerd rage was so enjoyable.

I still play UO on a private server. The great thing about uo is the diversity. There are so many things that you can do it takes awhile to master them all.

Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    While everything the people say above is true (more or less) UO has one big draw back, for me anything, and thats the combat system.

@ Tenebrion: Why should gear be so easy to replace?
    Standard gear should be easy to get to encourage casual play. When resources and equipment are common, you can better gage the risk vs reward when it comes to PVP.

Okay, let me provide an example of what I mean : In UO, when I would go hunting, I would wear a high quality Archer set, plus weapons, reagents, and potions, which cost a total of about 2,000g. I would recall to bank when I hit around the 5,000 to 10,000g mark. In those situations, the big loss for me if I were to die would have been the gold that I would have lost, rather than the gear that I used while farming.

In Darkfall, people tend to not wear good gear when PVEing simply because it wasn't worth risking losing it. In a system like Ultima Online's, that's not so much an issue.
    Last edited by Tenebrion; 07-26-2010 at 02:12.

Enchanting Information

-Lord Tenebrion
    The Mercenary Merchant :

5000+

i might go to the Shadowbane emulator at some point, IMO the city and siege system in DFO is shitty
    Last edited by Marrik; 07-26-2010 at 04:19.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darwin
    "Ignorance begets confidence, more so than does knowledge."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyldor Gwyvallt
    UK made Saudi Arabia a monarchy so they could take over the middle east

2000+

I never got to play any of them, the MMO i played the most so far has been LOTRO, honestly it is a great game even though im more PvP oriented the PvE was still awesome solo (The first time through only that is) or with a group of friends. And thats really what made the game for me, the community and the friends i had ingame. That is also what made PvP so enjoyable in that game, it was the atmosphere and the community on the Gladden server.

Once everyone started leaving the game and logging on less it became less fun and more of a grind(Like with deeds and traits and gear, they made it less fun and more linear, you had to get certain gear to progress in the storyline which is lame). Turbine also really has dropped the ball on LOTRO PvP also, after they lets raiders gain 30 infamy a kill, it was the begining of the end.

Anyway, lots of good memories, im just waiting for the perfect MMO like everyone else
    Last edited by Sharuk; 07-26-2010 at 04:44.
    NorseFire, Coming to a Country Near You
    Quote Originally Posted by GFH_Spike View Post
    I had already honed my e-warrior talents prior to Forumfall, so this homoerotic, misanthropic train wreck of mass parental failure touches my heart instead of shriveling it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakara View Post
    Obama will be a good president...hes just learning the ropes right now.

1000+ Long term follower

double post
    Last edited by Carnagel; 07-26-2010 at 08:56. Reason: double post

1000+ Long term follower

The thing I liked about both UO and Shadowbane was I rarely felt like I was wasting time when playing them. Whether I was out pvp'ing or getting materials in UO or hunting down a rare piece of gear, or sieging, it mostly felt like it was time well spent and good fun in the bargain

After just a few weeks in DFO it felt like 95% of the time I was logged in was wasted time grinding skills, and so therefore it got binned

As far as the harshest game it is a toss up between UO and Shadowbane, depending on your play style. Darkfall may be harsh, not really sure, but for me it wasn't even worth playing so I can't comment on that

If you were a solo pk'er then Shadowbane was actually not very harsh at all - as the most you could potentially lose was just whatever was in your pack if you died, whereas if you were a guild member and contributed towards the building and advancement of your city then Shadowbane could be extremely harsh if some other guild or group of guilds destroyed your city

On the other side of the coin in UO as a solo player it was a lot harsher then if guilded, as if you died you lost everything on you, and a solo player was obviously not as strong as one running with a few other friends

A game I spent a considerable amount of time playing back in the day was EQ1 on the rallos servers, where is was level based (+/- 2) pvp and 1 item loot, and wearing good gear did make a ton of difference in the strength of your character so it provided a good balance of pvp strength vs risk and reward - to the point of it being close to the most balanced pvp game I have played so far. With spells like Blind actually turning the players screen black to prevent them stripping their items into their pack when they were going to die, and all crowd control working in both pve and pvp, and leveling taking a long time so you would never have a shortage of people to kill in your level range - it was a great game

The least harsh pvp was when WoW first started and there was open world pvp, but surprisingly it was also very good fun. This is before the battlegrounds / arena's came into the game and people stood around like stunned mullets in a city waiting in an arena queue - everyone was out there leveling and fighting, and for a few months it was actually great fun running around with a friend or two open world pvp'ing. I don't know if the fun would have continued because it was pretty much pvp with zero consequences, so maybe blizzard took the correct long term approach by implementing the arena's and so forth, even though that decision ruined the game for pretty much anyone that was playing at that time that I knew irl.