Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast
    3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Gloomrender View Post
    Only thing I'm still debating with myself is the video card/s.

Can I expect my PC to last over 5 years anyway? Shouldn't it be time to buy a whole new PC in 5 years? Or should I buy that 100 dollar more vid card to try and have it last a few more years? It seems like I'm wasting my money on that hope if I need to buy a whole new PC in 6 years anyway.
    The question is not what you pay more on the video card, but what the total of the system is.

How much is the total of the system you built vs this here?

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5470/gtx460.png

This being way better than what you linked. The gtx 460, being more efficient yet more than twice as fast as the 4670, allows for a smaller sized PSU.

The i3-530 is GUARANTEED to run at 4ghz. You might have to add a bit larger heatsink (might even do on the stock one).
    At 4ghz it is as fast as an AMD 940 quad in cinebench.

But really, compare the complete system cost and not the parts of the system. That s not the right way to look at it.
    Last edited by pZombie; 07-22-2010 at 01:06.

2000+

You're hung up on this 5 year thing. Let me put it in perspective for you.

I don't think there's a single computer out there that is 5 years old and can even run Darkfall remotely stable. Unless you spent like 3-4k on the computer....

Core 2 wasn't even out 5 years ago. It wasn't out till later in 2006.

So, in short, no. Don't expect to be able to play new games on a 5 year old computer unless you enjoy slideshows.
    Last edited by Kay Rica; 07-22-2010 at 01:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Rica View Post
    You're hung up on this 5 year thing. Let me put it in perspective for you.

I don't think there's a single computer out there that is 5 years old and can even run Darkfall remotely stable. Unless you spent like 3-4k on the computer....

Core 2 wasn't even out 5 years ago. It wasn't out till later in 2006.

So, in short, no. Don't expect to be able to play new games on a 5 year old computer unless you enjoy slideshows.
    Ok, so I should just buy the DX10 only vid cards and not even worry about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Branwulf View Post
    Criminals will always get their weapons, it's the fucking lunatics that you should be worried about Colonist.
    Quote Originally Posted by United States Department of Education
    Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a Bolshevik forever.

Btw just how big a of power supply do I need with my setup? Do I really need 1000W or will something like 650W do?

Criminals will always get their weapons, it's the fucking lunatics that you should be worried about Colonist.

4000+

Ok, so I should just buy the DX10 only vid cards and not even worry about it?
    Take his post with a grain of salt. The upgrades in that span of a couple of years were pretty significant. At the current rate, high-end computers built in 2006-2007 will be able to run games fairly well in two years.
    Last edited by Nevron; 07-22-2010 at 02:02.

Gah. Now I'm all confused.

3000+

Btw just how big a of power supply do I need with my setup? Do I really need 1000W or will something like 650W do?
    Even 650w is overkill for those cards. They consume only 60w at full load. A good quality 500w supply would suffice. Heck, i am pretty sure, if the PSU is of good quality, even 450w would be more than enough for those cards.

4000+

Gah. Now I'm all confused.
    In other words, just do what you were doing and keep rollin' with your five year plan.

3000+

there you go

http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...uirements.aspx

i think 550w they recommend is overkill. it makes completely no sense. maybe if you use a quad core and overclock everything it would require 550w.

For newer and some current games. Yes a quad core processor is pretty much necessary.

And also from everything ive read DDR3 is pretty much no better than DDR2. It has a much higher price and higher timings, its just not worth it atm.
    Astinus Darksoul - Scourge

Anti-Grind Coalition
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/group.php?groupid=109
    Save Darkfalls population today.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroCool View Post
    For newer and some current games. Yes a quad core processor is pretty much necessary.

And also from everything ive read DDR3 is pretty much no better than DDR2. It has a much higher price and higher timings, its just not worth it atm.
    Could I get away with half as much DDR3 then? Like go from 8 to 4 and still be able to run shit like BC2?

3000+

Could I get away with half as much DDR3 then? Like go from 8 to 4 and still be able to run shit like BC2?
    Tell us your budget and what kind of hardware you already own/can reuse in the next build. This should people allow you to build the perfect system for the budget you have.

Quote Originally Posted by pZombie View Post
    Tell us your budget and what kind of hardware you already own/can reuse in the next build. This should people allow you to build the perfect system for the budget you have.
    My budget is 900-1k. I can reuse like no hardware from my current computer, It's all super outdated.

But yeah could I get away with 4 GB DDR3 and still run medium-high settings?
    Last edited by Gloomrender; 07-22-2010 at 03:01.

Absolutely. Games like BC2 are more video card and processor intensive. More ram is better if you wana run a shit ton of processes at the same time and keep up the performance.

If your a gamer 4 gigs is plenty.
    Astinus Darksoul - Scourge

Anti-Grind Coalition
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/group.php?groupid=109
    Save Darkfalls population today.

2000+

My budget is 900-1k. I can reuse like no hardware from my current computer, It's all super outdated.

4 gigs is plenty. I run BC2 fine with 4 gigs, I've never seen a game use all of my RAM, even Crysis comes 500MB short.

Quad core is definite, especially if you want your system to last. Don't worry too much about having to buy a new one. The next time around, you won't have to replace your monitor, case, hard drive, power supply and if you choose wisely, maybe even your motherboard. That's most of your parts.

I recently built my brother a 840 dollar PC with the following specs:

HD 4870
    4 gigs DDR3 RAM
    AMD Athlon Propus Quad core @ 2.9 GHz
    1TB hard drive
    MSI 770 G45 motherboard
    650 W power supply
    Antec 900
    ASUS Widescreen monitor (16:9 aspect ratio)
    I expect this build to last, in its entirety, 3 years without replacing any parts, and I'm hoping it'll still be able to play games like it does today without any problems, on medium-high.

If you are not getting a monitor, I would recommend something like the HD Radeon 5830/4890, if you have enough money left. Otherwise, I highly recommend the 4870. It's a great card even though it's almost two years old. The only problem with it is it runs kind of hot, but not hot enough to warrant buying a fan for it. I've run it fine in my system for close to two years without a hitch.

Also, using the stock CPU fan will do as long as you don't OC, but still make sure you keep a monitor like SpeedFan to make sure the temperatures don't exceed normal. Otherwise, I'd get a non-stock fan right away.
    Last edited by Tzacharu; 07-22-2010 at 04:43.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sagan
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.