Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 81
  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gloomrender View Post
    Going AMD over intel was a good suggestion. Apparently I can get a quad core over a dual core and pay like 100 bucks less too.
    It'll also last half as long.

    See you in three years when you need a new board / processor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevron View Post
    I play Halo and I'm autistic.

  2. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema View Post
    It'll also last half as long.

    See you in three years when you need a new board / processor.
    Meh. I won't be overclocking it or anything? It will really last half as long or are you exaggerating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Branwulf View Post
    Criminals will always get their weapons, it's the fucking lunatics that you should be worried about Colonist.
    Quote Originally Posted by United States Department of Education
    Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a Bolshevik forever.

  3. #18
    3000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Banned
    Posts
    3,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema View Post
    It'll also last half as long.

    See you in three years when you need a new board / processor.
    Not if you stay within specifications and cool it properly.
    MY e7200 which runs 2.53ghz standard has now been overclocked to 3.7ghz since over 6 years and runs still. Same goes for my 8800gt which runs 10% higher than standard.
    I made certain however, the cooling is appropriate and my CPU never gets too hot.

  4. #19
    2000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    AMERICA
    Posts
    2,881

    Default

    You don't need 8gb of ram. Get 6, that will save you 65 dollars. Also, you're gimping yourself with that graphics card. At least go for a 5750...


    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on=radeon+5750

    Also absolutely 100% buy a quad core. I'd recommend the 920, which you can get for $200, but if you want something a bit cheaper I'm sure the AMD will do just fine.
    Last edited by Kay Rica; 07-21-2010 at 23:33.

  5. #20
    3000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Banned
    Posts
    3,743

    Default

    Check this

    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/sho...d.php?t=253097

    and don't listen too much to AMD fanbois. They just want you to share their own misery for making the mistake to go with AMD rather with intel when it comes to gaming and about anything else.

    either get a i7-930 machine, or a i3-530 build if you want it cheap.

    the last option, being the i3-530 combined with the gtx 460 is dx11 capable and plenty powerful to run any game out now at high frames. For $565 after rebates you got a hyper fast PC with DX 11 functionality.
    the i3-530 overclocks to 4ghz easy if you later want some more power out of it.
    Last edited by pZombie; 07-21-2010 at 23:36.

  6. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kay Rica View Post
    You don't need 8gb of ram. Get 6, that will save you 65 dollars. Also, you're gimping yourself with that graphics card. At least go for a 5750...
    You do realize that It's 2 graphics cards and not just one of them?

    Quote Originally Posted by Branwulf View Post
    Criminals will always get their weapons, it's the fucking lunatics that you should be worried about Colonist.
    Quote Originally Posted by United States Department of Education
    Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a Bolshevik forever.

  7. #22
    3000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Banned
    Posts
    3,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gloomrender View Post
    You do realize that It's 2 graphics cards and not just one of them?
    you realize that those graphic cards are not DX11 capable? You asked for 5 years. What if within those 5 years a game comes out requiring DX11?

    also, the gtx 460 beats both your cards in crossfire mode
    Last edited by pZombie; 07-21-2010 at 23:44.

  8. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pZombie View Post
    you realize that those graphic cards are not DX11 capable? You asked for 5 years. What if within those 5 years a game comes out requiring DX11?
    Hmm. Didn't notice this.

    Is it very likely that DX11 games will come out within 5 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Branwulf View Post
    Criminals will always get their weapons, it's the fucking lunatics that you should be worried about Colonist.
    Quote Originally Posted by United States Department of Education
    Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a Bolshevik forever.

  9. #24
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    B'more
    Posts
    574

    Default

    my 6600 2.4 which i bought in march of 2007 I keep clocked between 3.1 and 3.4 on air runs fine. Playing bfbc2 fine no problems.

    Two opinions on your system, if your not someone with a tiny room get a full tower. It is so much more convenient then a mid tower and allows for a better cooling setup. Sure you'll shell out a few more bucks but its worth it.

    Also if you are going to overclock pay close attention to the chipsets. For instance when I bought my 6600 I made sure to get the E chipset as that seemed to have the most reliable/highest results when overclocking.
    Clark Kent Ron Paul Barrack Orkbama

  10. #25
    3000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Banned
    Posts
    3,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gloomrender View Post
    Hmm. Didn't notice this.

    Is it very likely that DX11 games will come out within 5 years?
    No, it s not very likely we will see DX11 only games within the next 5 years. More likely is, we will see games supporting both, DX10 and 11.

    However, it is POSSIBLE there will be one or two games being DX11 only, and then you will be pissed not being able to play those.

  11. #26
    5000+
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pZombie View Post
    Check this

    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/sho...d.php?t=253097

    and don't listen too much to AMD fanbois. They just want you to share their own misery for making the mistake to go with AMD rather with intel when it comes to gaming and about anything else.

    either get a i7-930 machine, or a i3-530 build if you want it cheap.

    the last option, being the i3-530 combined with the gtx 460 is dx11 capable and plenty powerful to run any game out now at high frames. For $565 after rebates you got a hyper fast PC with DX 11 functionality.
    the i3-530 overclocks to 4ghz easy if you later want some more power out of it.
    My computer runs DF fine even with my shitty graphics card, I have no idea what you're blabbing about. DF doesn't even benefit from multicore processors so I have no idea what you're yammering on about anyways. Ya an i7 will run DF better than an AMD quad, but it costs 4 times more. You can buy a beast graphics card instead.

    AMD isn't even that bad, if you take care of your PC and aren't a total lazy slob it'll run for a long time. They run cooler than Intel, are cheaper, more easy to overclock without heating issues, and don't preform much below it. The price alone makes it better.

    With that said you have some good Intel builds in the thread linked and if gloom prefers intel over amd he should look into them.
    Last edited by Makestro; 07-22-2010 at 00:02.
    Frumpy Lump's rage
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    He said consumers make jobs appear. Let him explain how that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    I've done shit you probably would faint from even thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    At least I get to fuck.
    http://www.twitch.tv/makestro

  12. #27
    3000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Banned
    Posts
    3,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Makestro View Post
    My computer runs DF fine even with my shitty graphics card, I have no idea what you're blabbing about. DF doesn't even benefit from multicore processors so I have no idea what you're yammering on about anyways. Ya an i7 will run DF better than an AMD quad, but it costs 4 times more. You can buy a beast graphics card instead.

    AMD isn't even that bad, if you take care of your PC and aren't a total lazy slob it'll run for a long time. They run cooler than Intel, are cheaper, more easy to overclock without heating issues, and don't preform much below it. The price alone makes it better.

    With that said you have some good Intel builds in the thread linked and if gloom prefers intel over amd he should look into them.
    AMD is easier to overclock than intel? that alone disqualified you.

    90% of intel CPUs overclock 40-50% up from their standard. 90% of AMD CPUs overclock UNDER 15% if at all. The AMD CPUs are already pushed hard to their limits.

    the i7-930 overclocks from 2.8ghz to 3.6ghz with just the boxed cooler. 4-4.2ghz if you use a h50 corsair or better (the best being the noctua d14 at the cost of being hard to install and taking all your case space)
    IN some cases the i7-930 will go even higher.

    The i3-530 is stock 2.93ghz and goes 3.6 to 4ghz on the stock cooler. 4.5ghz if you use a h50 or better.


    Not only do intels clock higher, but they also deliver more power per clock.

  13. #28
    5000+
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pZombie View Post
    AMD is easier to overclock than intel? that alone disqualified you.

    90% of intel CPUs overclock 40-50% up from their standard. 90% of AMD CPUs overclock UNDER 15% if at all. The AMD CPUs are already pushed hard to their limits.

    the i7-930 overclocks from 2.8ghz to 3.6ghz with just the boxed cooler. 4-4.2ghz if you use a h50 corsair or better (the best being the noctua d14 at the cost of being hard to install and taking all your case space)
    IN some cases the i7-930 will go even higher.

    The i3-530 is stock 2.93ghz and goes 3.6 to 4ghz on the stock cooler. 4.5ghz if you use a h50 or better.


    Not only do intels clock higher, but they also deliver more power per clock.
    And my AMD 965 at $180 is 3.4 out the box I could probably get it to 3.8 without any changes to my current system. Thing is I don't need to OC it, it runs shit fine at 3.4.
    Frumpy Lump's rage
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    He said consumers make jobs appear. Let him explain how that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    I've done shit you probably would faint from even thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    At least I get to fuck.
    http://www.twitch.tv/makestro

  14. #29

    Default

    Only thing I'm still debating with myself is the video card/s.

    Can I expect my PC to last over 5 years anyway? Shouldn't it be time to buy a whole new PC in 5 years? Or should I buy that 100 dollar more vid card to try and have it last a few more years? It seems like I'm wasting my money on that hope if I need to buy a whole new PC in 6 years anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Branwulf View Post
    Criminals will always get their weapons, it's the fucking lunatics that you should be worried about Colonist.
    Quote Originally Posted by United States Department of Education
    Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a Bolshevik forever.

  15. #30
    2000+
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wedged in a Midget
    Posts
    2,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gloomrender View Post
    Only thing I'm still debating with myself is the video card/s.

    Can I expect my PC to last over 5 years anyway? Shouldn't it be time to buy a whole new PC in 5 years? Or should I buy that 100 dollar more vid card to try and have it last a few more years? It seems like I'm wasting my money on that hope if I need to buy a whole new PC in 6 years anyway.
    One option to prolong a system is to buy a great GPU now and SLI/Crossfire a second later. I doubt that it will match a single new GPU 5 years from now but it may be perfectly playable in 5 years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •