Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Normal User

Default The bunny hopping...

From what i've experienced in this game. At higher skill levels combat consists of twitching around more than the other player. It looks retarded. Seeing an alfar with a polearm float around like he's from some anime show is ridiculous. I don't see skill as jumping around as much as possible as skill. Tactics are skill. This isnt some shitty outdated fps like quake.

O and no I'm not going to play another game. Don't suggest it.

1000+

go play another game

Normal User

I like all aspects of darkfall except this type of combat.

Quote Originally Posted by kyrusosis View Post
    I like all aspects of darkfall except this type of combat.
    Play as a mage or archer.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by paxprobellum View Post
    Play as a mage or archer.
    might have to give that a shot.

5000+

From what i've experienced in this game. At higher skill levels combat consists of twitching around more than the other player. It looks retarded. Seeing an alfar with a polearm float around like he's from some anime show is ridiculous. I don't see skill as jumping around as much as possible as skill. Tactics are skill. This isnt some shitty outdated fps like quake.

don't play this game then, it's not going to change. play mo

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Makgyver View Post
    don't play this game then, it's not going to change. play mo
    yeah knew this post was coming.

Normal User

Have you never seen a Chinese Kung-Fu movie?

Bunny hopping and double jumping has been around since before you were born, son.
    Last edited by Reid; 07-06-2010 at 21:58.

Well can't say that I'm to found of the mechanic either, however the momentum part it involves that's one of the keys to getting close to your opponent or avoid them, since you cannot influence your movement other then sprinting, the momentum movement caused by using spells and in this case, jumping to maintain it, that's the only way to influence and cause flow to a combat that otherwise would be of chasing and kiting.

Now I think the system could be changed, and I believe that the dev team could be looking into ways to influence the movement otherwise.
    One thing that could spice it up would be if it brought more downsides then it currently does.

What it does is damage you, but you cannot die from fall damage can you? no you cannot. Thus it's not dangerous enough, neither does the damage scale in such proportions that it really matters.
    And if you fail? well then you only return to the speed you had before, it's not as if you lost anything while moving on plane ground.

A system where using momentum to move could change combat but only work in some ways that one I would like.
    Say mount bunny jumping, or moving down slopes jumping to increase in speed, that's one I don't like that much.

However, using Shrapnel to move faster forward, that's one I like, that's what I would call clever use of game mechanics.

That you don't lose speed if you jump at the right moment when moving down a slope that's imo just a bugg, but when you chase with mount, had it not been there, how would one catch those fleeing? how would one get there fast enough.

Answer, mount sprint or other ways to influence the movement of mounts, moving down goes faster by default without having to jump, but it cost stamina instead, moving upwards or downwards, that cost more stamina, sprinting costs double.
    And mounts have their own stamina bar that you cannot influence by food to yourself.

That would be a system I think could work.

Using the current on foot movement part of bunny jumping down slopes, and adding more sprint and stamina cost alternatives to make movement matter.

Quote Originally Posted by TradeCartel View Post
    I walk through the desolate NPC towns quite a bit and see obvious places where there's an Inn or an outdoor cafe, but I can't sit at the table with a group of adventurers in a tavern, have an ale, and share stories of my exploits
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSSzpsU_wdA

3000+ Long term follower

Hi Quake is not shitty, it's the best FPS ever created. The combat in DF doesn't really compare to it, since in Quake you actually move fast enough to dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiliuM View Post
    I fucking hate this guy. Will they ever stop comparing World of fucking Warcraft to fucking everything? Fucking fuck, someone get a fucking bloodhound or some fuckshit like that, trace this motherfucker down and rip out his fucking carebear spine.

Fuck.

bunny hopp is 100% player skills

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Have you never seen a Chinese Kung-Fu movie?

Bunny hopping and double jumping has been around since before you were born, son.
    You must first learn to crawl before you learn to walk, grasshopper . .. and you must first learn to walk before you learn to bunny hop. Your jump skill is surging, grasshopper . .. surging . ..!

Last edited by $id Viciou$; 07-08-2010 at 00:59.

omg its D day already!?

6000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by wingman92 View Post
    bunny hopp is 100% player skills
    People said the same thing about mages, until they had to start aiming.

Normal User US1 Player

Bunny hopping is easy to deal with..

I would like to see a limit to how fast you can turn while sprinting (similar to gears of war) to turn on a dime you would have to momentarily stop sprinting (still running), turn 90 degrees and then continue to sprint... I think this would make melee much more skillful rather than "run around randomly swinging and hoping for the best". The animations are pretty bad at the moment.. this combined with the sprinting around like a headless chicken makes the hitboxes pretty screwed up.
    Last edited by Don_King; 07-08-2010 at 18:14.