Normal User US1 Player

Default one handed axes?

Are one handed axes viable for mounted combat? do they have some sort of advantage that might make them favorable? are they pretty much useless? help :O

They do sick dmg and are very viable.

From looking at it for use in PvP, yes they are arguable to be very good choices for mounted combat as axes have a higher top end damage range on the weapons themselves, also some of the 1h axe transmutations are less difficult/expensive to make in the higher ranges.

Looking at them from the standpoint of weapon vs weapon, axes are inferior to swords while mounted, as it is possible to have nearly as high (effectively the same since once your mastery is high enough, the mounted modifier will put you into hitting the damage cap) of a damage capable weapon in the same damage type (slashing) from a 1h sword, but the 1h sword has a faster swing speed. This is why 1h swords are more desirable for mounted PvE farming.

Personally, I prefer 1h Axes over 1h Clubs & Swords when I'm building/selecting weaponry, as it affords me a backup Axe-Power Attack debuff opportunity, as melee weapon Power Attacks do not share a cooldown across weapons. While less damage than 2 handed options, 1h & Shield melee occasionally comes into play on foot, and having the highest top end available by weapon type is another little difference added to the rest of your equation.

undeadlords.net
    Zers UDL

DF NA-1 Zers Pravus
    DF EU-1 Zers Pravus

That being said, I intended to also mention that I'm not remotely where I'd like to be when it comes to mounted combat when it comes to PvP, so when I am committed to an engagement I generally look to do passing single strikes, turning and attempting multiple swings per pass. So I can't speak from experience to detail on the increased benefits of faster swing speed vs top end damage.

undeadlords.net
    Zers UDL

DF NA-1 Zers Pravus
    DF EU-1 Zers Pravus

Normal User

Personally, I dislike axes. The reach is shorter and they are slower. The damage though, is higher. Choose what you like.

No idea about clubs..