Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2000+

Default The Non-Emo side of Gothics..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt8wxgfd77A

No I am not talking about "Hey let's buy some clothes from HoT Topic and say we're gothic and then make a fashion statement by becoming depressed like insecure little girls."

The lyrics here and the setting is similar to Gothic literature and the architecture in the video is Gothic.. You know, the fucking MEDIEVAL CULTURE that helped bring forth the renaissance?

3000+

What are you trying to tell us?

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by Rachsucht View Post
    What are you trying to tell us?
    That you don't have to be a complete fucking deuchebag to be Gothic..

And if you read Gothic literature, its key features offer haunted house, the supernatural, mystery, gothic architecture, castles, darkness, death, decay, madness and some other shit.. Character are usually things like skeletons, ghosts, bandits, tyrants, persecuted maidens, monks, nuns, the devil, angels, fallen angels, demons, magicians, madwomen, vampires, werewolves, revenants and some other awesome stuff..

Everyone should read Wuthering Heights

Also... Edgar Allen Poe.. He reinterpeted Gothic fiction..

And if you are going to call yourself Gothic.. For GODS Sake, read the right books, learn your history, learn how to speak like one(be poetic) and listen to the right music, if your a musician who claims he's gothic.. Then play music based off the Gothic periods and its fiction.. Don't be a deuche.
    Last edited by Eyrothath; 06-01-2010 at 18:25.

14,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrothath View Post
    That you don't have to be a complete fucking deuchebag to be Gothic..
    Um, yea you do. I don't care if you're traditional gothic, spartan, viking, or any other historical culture... l2 live in your own time, douchebag.

Tea-Bagging since 1995

Quote Originally Posted by Ches View Post
    Im voteing Obama
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc
    God damn newbie trolls...try harder next time.

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by slypieguy View Post
    um, yea you do. I don't care if you're traditional gothic, spartan, viking, or any other historical culture... L2 live in your own time, douchebag.
    this is blasphemy, this is madness!!

5000+

this is forumfall!
    Originally Posted by Daggermaniac
    The only DF player that I have expected of Aim Botting is Zato Ichi.

12,000+

This is metal? This sounds better then metal.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"

Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

1000+

Even elves can be confused about goths.

http://www.elftor.com/elftor.php?number=172

What's the asian girl doing in there?

And thanks OP for reminding me of Sirenia, loved their old stuff. New singer I guess, doesn't sound that bad.
    Last edited by nizzie; 06-01-2010 at 21:05.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyldor Gwyvallt View Post
    Obviously all this in the US...the country where a fanatical worship of science has replaced any true religious sense or any balanced perception of LIFE

1000+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt8wxgfd77A

No I am not talking about "Hey let's buy some clothes from HoT Topic and say we're gothic and then make a fashion statement by becoming depressed like insecure little girls."

The lyrics here and the setting is similar to Gothic literature and the architecture in the video is Gothic.. You know, the fucking MEDIEVAL CULTURE that helped bring forth the renaissance?
    Personally, I always thought of goth as being more cynical, not sad and depressed. More of a "fuck it" attitude than "my life sucks".

That aside, where do you get the medieval culture thing? The Goths were around during Roman times (and contributed to Rome's fall), not medieval times. If you're talking about art and literature, read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goth_su...ral_influences
    It says that the "gothic novel" genre was created after the Renaissance...I'm assuming that's what you meant by "gothic literature". It was really just the beginning of the horror genre.

Also, I don't see what's goth about that music. It sounds like symphonic metal to me, not goth rock (check the list of bands on that wikipedia site). In fact, there's nothing even remotely "goth" about that music.

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by mcap View Post
    Personally, I always thought of goth as being more cynical, not sad and depressed. More of a "fuck it" attitude than "my life sucks".

That aside, where do you get the medieval culture thing? The Goths were around during Roman times (and contributed to Rome's fall), not medieval times. If you're talking about art and literature, read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goth_su...ral_influences
    It says that the "gothic novel" genre was created after the Renaissance...I'm assuming that's what you meant by "gothic literature". It was really just the beginning of the horror genre.

Also, I don't see what's goth about that music. It sounds like symphonic metal to me, not goth rock (check the list of bands on that wikipedia site). In fact, there's nothing even remotely "goth" about that music.
    It's Gothic Metal/Symphonic Metal.. The ones who normally play with a Female lead usually are both.. Some bands are Symphonic/Power Metal influence, but a pure Symphonic Metal band would be Avantasia or Northern Kings

Dimmu Borgir plays Symphonic Black Metal, as does Cradle of Filth

Look @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_Metal
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gothic_metal_bands

For the most part, Symphonic Metal is Gothic Metal stylistic with Power Metal origins. It becomes Gothic Metal.. Gothic Rock becomes Gothic Metal when Symphonic Metal is thrown in.. It's confusing..

And back to the subject.. GOTHIC Architecture was around before Renassiance Architecture as well as GOTHIC Art.. It was a MEDIEVAL art movement.. Look it up.. But the Gothic Art movement had nothing to do with the Germanic tribe known as "THE GOTHS" and Gothic Fiction and Gothic Revival Architecture were around during Roman Times like you said..
    Last edited by Eyrothath; 06-01-2010 at 23:31.

1000+ EU1 Player

pertty good stuff

1000+

It's Gothic Metal/Symphonic Metal.. The ones who normally play with a Female lead usually are both.. Some bands are Symphonic/Power Metal influence, but a pure Symphonic Metal band would be Avantasia or Northern Kings

Dimmu Borgir plays Symphonic Black Metal, as does Cradle of Filth

Look @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_Metal
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gothic_metal_bands

For the most part, Symphonic Metal is Gothic Metal stylistic with Power Metal origins. It becomes Gothic Metal.. Gothic Rock becomes Gothic Metal when Symphonic Metal is thrown in.. It's confusing..

And back to the subject.. GOTHIC Architecture was around before Renassiance Architecture as well as GOTHIC Art.. It was a MEDIEVAL art movement.. Look it up.. But the Gothic Art movement had nothing to do with the Germanic tribe known as "THE GOTHS" and Gothic Fiction and Gothic Revival Architecture were around during Roman Times like you said..
    You're right about the medieval thing, but you must have a fucked up timeline if you think "gothic art" was around during the medieval times and the "gothic revival", which obviously occurred later, was during the Roman times. Gothic fiction wasn't around during the Roman times, it was around in the 1700s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_fiction

I guess the reason that stuff is called "gothic metal" has more to do with the lyrics - generally macabre and dark, with influences from gothic fiction. It's about as related to the "fucking MEDIEVAL CULTURE that helped bring forth the renaissance" as the Twilight series.

Either way, gothic metal isn't bad, but it has no relation to the goth scene in the 80s and 90s beyond a common inspiration. That's what I was getting at originally.

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by mcap View Post

Either way, gothic metal isn't bad, but it has no relation to the goth scene in the 80s and 90s beyond a common inspiration. That's what I was getting at originally.
    Yeah, I fucked up my timelines.. Gothic Metal though is influenced by both the Gothic Art Movement during the Medieval period AND Gothic fiction... Any relation to Gothic Rock scene during the 80's? Not at all.. Gothic Metal isn't trying to create an image for itself, it is actually more about the music rather than their looks(They aren't trying to make a fashion statement) In fact, metal bands, unless Nu-Metal, none of them are trying to create an image at all really, they are mostly about the music, the Punk scene was like that too..

GLAM metal is a different story, Glam Metal AKA: Hair Metal was just shit..

From what I understand, the Goth scene of the 80's and 90's was a sub-genre of Punk Music, or some kind of extension?

Also when it comes to Gothic Fiction, a lot of it is inspired from Mythology and Paganism and related stories of those times.. Gothic fiction steals a lot of things from Mythology..
    Last edited by Eyrothath; 06-02-2010 at 00:56.