Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast
    8000+ Long term follower Tenebrion's Avatar

Default So, I have to learn german in about two weeks.

Anyone happen to know of any fun or easy websites / programs / books for learning basic German in under two weeks? I have some history with and understanding of the language, but do not yet speak it fluently.
    Last edited by Tenebrion; 04-13-2010 at 22:17.

Enchanting Information

Darkfall : It needs more cows
    -Lord Tenebrion
    The Mercenary Merchant :
    Most Powerful Man In Agon.

Normal User

Simply put you are about to get shit on.

Good luck.

Banned

I would advise you to use Rosetta Stone. It requires practically no understanding of any language, and I've used it to improve my conversational French although I've forgotten it.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryClock View Post
    I would advise you to use Rosetta Stone. It requires practically no understanding of any language, and I've used it to improve my conversational French although I've forgotten it.
    Yeah, Rosetta Stone is probably your best bet. It's come highly recommended to me before.

Normal User

Just use z instead of th and don't talk about nazis and you'll be fine.

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by Seddoron View Post
    Just use z instead of th and don't talk about nazis and you'll be fine.
    This will get you anywhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Laenih View Post
    There will be no more spiky nipples.
    EU-1 Romulus X (Deleted)
    NA-1 Ausei Yeyo (Active)

8000+ Long term follower Tenebrion's Avatar

I have no doubt that I'm going to learn the language within two weeks. The only question is what tools I'll use to do it.

Enchanting Information

Darkfall : It needs more cows
    -Lord Tenebrion
    The Mercenary Merchant :
    Most Powerful Man In Agon.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrion View Post
    I have no doubt that I'm going to learn the language within two weeks. The only question is what tools I'll use to do it.
    Rosetta Stone. Its the best language program, by far.

3000+

You're fucked dude, German is probably one of the hardest languages to learn. And, for some reason, really hard to speak for Americans.

Normal User Long term follower

Rosetta Stone hands down man.
    To each his own. To me... Well I own his each.

JTT

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Rachsucht View Post
    You're fucked dude, German is probably one of the hardest languages to learn. And, for some reason, really hard to speak for Americans.
    Out of curiosity, what makes it so hard?

And of course, what would be the easiest languages to learn?

2000+

I don't have fluent German and I took courses on it spanning six years. Maybe its just me, but I found it very difficult learning German at first, even though I half my family is of German origin and I visited Germany three times during those years. Once you get through the basics, it'll be easier to understand.

If you want to learn German quick though, as other people said, Rosetta Stone is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by nate4449 View Post

Most of all, sentence structure depends entirely on tense and what nouns you are using. For example, in past tense, most of the time verbs go at the very end of the sentence. So when you want to say "The dog ran fast", it would translate word to word into "The dog fast ran". It all gets very confusing when you add more objects to the sentence, then you need to order them correctly. It takes quite a bit of practice to get this down.

Like other languages, there's also a gender associated with each noun. For example, dog is masculine, so it is assigned "der", so you would say "der Hund" when referring to "the dog". Most of the nouns' genders are easy to guess (except for the wierd ones, like, for whatever reason, the word "tie", as in a "suit and tie", is feminine). There are also neutral nouns that use "das", and feminine nouns use "die".

To make things even more difficult, certain verbs and conjunctions can change the "case" of the noun. There are four cases that are used that change the "der/die/das" into, for example, "dem/der/dem" in certain situations. What these gender associations basically come down to is memorization, but its easy doing it in small batches over a long time. But this is just one thing that makes it a difficult language to learn in a short time.

Then, if you have more than one verb in a sentence, you can end up with them all tagging at the end of the sentence. I took this one from Wikipedia since I couldn't think of one off the top of my head:

German: Man nimmt an, dass der Deserteur wohl erschossenV wordenpsv seinperf solltemod
    English word to word translation: One suspects that the deserter probably shot became be should

It's just very counter-intuitive going from English to German (and probably from German to English as well). I'm not sure if other languages have similar functionality, I only learned a small bit of French and Spanish in middle school, but I found those as some of the earlier hurdles you encounter when learning German.
    Last edited by Tzacharu; 04-14-2010 at 00:35.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sagan
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachsucht View Post
    Eeh, no?

German is pretty easy. Alot of languages have similarities to German.

Icelandic or Finnish.

Now there is a challenge
    Darkfall IRC: Server: irc.stratics.com Channel: #Darkfall

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Justin View Post
    Eeh, no?

German is pretty easy. Alot of languages have similarities to German.

Icelandic or Finnish.

Now there is a challenge
    Is English your first language?

Edit. I ask this because most, well actually all native English speakers I have met personally that have attempted to learn German conveyed that they had a lot of trouble learning German, even just a few phrases.
    Last edited by FatRednekk; 04-13-2010 at 23:51.

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by nate4449 View Post

The grammar is extremely complex, alone the fact that German has 3 articles der (male) die (female) das (neutral) instead of "the" makes it immensly hard to learn.

English is a fairly easy to learn laguage, aside from the fact that many words aren't pronounced the way they are written.

I've heard from many people that Russian is a really easy to leran, once you've learned the alphabet.
    Last edited by Rachsucht; 04-13-2010 at 23:50.