Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 67

quitting over 800 gold is new to me. just ask some player if he can give u 1k for a few skills, i think no veteran wouldnt give u the money
    ANG ANG ANG

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Where is the closest mage trainer to Bel Meker?
    Alfar NPC capital city. Just east.
    Enjoy the Chaos!!!

Rotahsi:
    " That destiny was to gather apostles dedicated to the clubbing of tiny Seal Cubs.
    Thus, The Seal Cub Clubbing Club was borne. "

Normal User

Get your ass back in game noob
    Last edited by beckster1976; 04-09-2010 at 15:32.
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=77114&datel  ine=1239400283

Normal User

Default Almost read it all

1. If you were confident certain things did not exist like "Run" or "AutoRun", wouldn't you at some point look at the GUI settings and see what settings are actually available?

2. When you first login to the game, you're standing about 20 steps from a "Councilor". That is called a clue. He gives you a quest or two, which leads you to another NPC, who gives you a quest or two, and then you catch on and do all the quests from your starter town. Then believe it or not, one of them gives you a quest to venture out to your Racial Capital, where you find more quests and special longer quests that give you a bonus to one stat.

3. When you went and had breakfast, my guess is you swam out of your "protected" area. I left the protected area the first couple hours I played, didn't even know what it was for. IMO it just delays the inevitable, so may as well experience the gank at the beginning along with the rest of the game.

4. When you head out, you should always consider "Am I ok if I lose what I have?" If the answer is no, then adjust your inventory.

Here's my opinion of the game now I've been playing for just about a month.

1. The GUI is definately different and you need to make changes ASAP, otherwise it can be very frustrating. So they should add that to the little newbie guide that pops up. Something like, "Please check the default settings and adjust for your gaming style." Right-click drove me nuts and got me killed a number of times but now I'm used to it and would probably go through withdrawal if I changed it now.

2. The "Grind" is just mind boggling. There have definately been times when I just say "This is stupid." but for some reason I keep playing. Mining, Woodcutting, Gathering, Weaponsmithing, Armorsmithing, yada yada yada. Every single skill has to be grinded. All of your fighting and casting skills also...have to be grinded.

3. It seems to me that once you reach a point where you are PVP capable, you're pretty much like everyone else with maybe a couple subtle differences. You can learn any skill in the game, no cap to number of skills learned. The good thing about that is you really only need one character, the bad thing is everyone is going to be about the same in the end. If you follow the PVP suggestions you read in "Race Alliance" chat, then you need Fire, witches brew, sacrifice, one other elemental blast skill, a 2H weapon skill and toss in whatever else you feel like learning for your play style. It seems to explain why people go back to the starter towns to gank.

4. Weapons: my experience so far is that it's the weapon, not the skill. If you get your weapon skill to a point where you can get mastery and start raising them both from there, guess what? You still do crap damage with an R0, R10, R30 weapon. Change to a better weapon and the difference is clearly notable. That kinda ticks me off because being able to make a weapon for a skill that high takes a TON of grinding weaponsmithing/Mastery. Or you can buy your equipment, ... and lose it 30 minutes later or have it break after making a little more than it cost to buy.

5. The chat system: It's bad. How do you talk to someone fast? You run into a camp, and see someone there. Here we go, try to mouse over the guys name, get the spelling right, /tell or /msg , then realize you spelled it wrong and start again and by that time the guy thinks you're gonna attack and here we go. Then you have the Race/Alliance chat which should just be called "Prison Chat".

There's more but that's enough for now.

Normal User

"quitting over 800 gold is new to me. just ask some player if he can give u 1k for a few skills, i think no veteran wouldnt give u the money"

I have a better idea. Earn it. I hate beggars. Earn your keep.

Normal User

Again they are pretty good pvpers but it is what is I guess.
    Oh come on. There is no such thing as "good PvPer". You can be good in WoW, but bad in CS. Hell, you can even be good in Chess Master Online, but terribad in Checkers 3000!

Your friends could not be good Darkfall PvPers after 8 hrs of gameplay. I understand that being not afraid of PvP might be cool and noteworthy in some game communities ... but just not there, sorry, mr.KnowItAll_ButCantFindNPCOnMinimap.

3000+

Sorry for double post, forum lagged hardcore for a sec for me .

-Andrew
    Last edited by Kimoshu; 04-09-2010 at 17:11.
    Kimoshu Grakenshalmn

Middleman Rep

3000+

To the OP:

There's a lot of good tips from players here and a lot of expected trolling heh, welcome to the darkfall forums .

My tip to you is to Explore! Darkfall is ALL about discovery, everything from where cities are, what skills do what(Descriptions are vague for a reason!), learning the UI(I love the UI, there's definitely improvements that can be made to the chat and system areas but the UI is actually quite nice once you get the hang of it, it just has a higher learning curve than most and is near 100% customizable.), learning what mobs are weak and strong to what, learning the specifics of combat and learning the terrain, etc, etc. The game specifically does not give you an extremely detailed tutorial because they wanted an old-school game where you actually had to fiddle and read and test, play with things to figure them out.

Virtually nothing is handed to you in the game on purpose, you carve your own path and enter the world as a baby - learn to walk, learn your surroundings, learn to run and learn to fight. The race or race alliance chat tabs are where you will find help in-game, the ingame community is also much better when it comes to trolls(Except for the NPC ones you kill of course ).

Most people use either ventrilo or mumble to chat, I have a small clan of 3 members(myself included) on the US server and have a public vent; You are welcome to join up our vent and we can help you in real-time when you have a roadblock you are stuck on.

This game is extremely challenging and takes a while to master, just don't be afraid to die and lose your stuff, every death is a learning experience and each time you die will help you get better at avoiding death. Items become easier and easier to replace, eventually you'll have such a large bank of armour and weapons that you'll be leaving items behind often.

A good way to make money early on is to accept 1hr timed quests. There are several of them available for different mobs and can be repeated indefinitely. The quests work that you have to kill at least 10 of a certain mob in an hour, the more above 10 you kill the higher the reward. Ask in race chat to find out where the timed quest givers are, also they are typically at wilderness banks not too far from one of the 3 starter cities/racial capital.

I believe you will enjoy this game and you seem to be the right type for it, just don't be so quick to write-off the game it has a massive learning curve; After a few weeks of playing you will become familiar with much of the game, look back on your first few days and laugh at how much of a newb you were .

PM me if you want to join up our vent and I'll give you the details, otherwise I suggest to join up the NEW clan and get on their Mumble. I also have been hanging around the NEW city of hammerdale lately so if you join them we can party up and I can show you some good spawns in the area.

-Andrew
    Kimoshu Grakenshalmn

Middleman Rep

Normal User US1 Player

I figured out a couple of other issues with the UI. Right click causes absolute havoc with your keyboard.
    In my first post I said switch the right click to something like escape. During combat you will never want to go to that mode, so why have it there? You shouldn't ever need it. You can hot key everything, if you went through all of the help there is something on the hot bar and one of the arrows on top of it expands the bar out.

For example, if you have autorun on and right click you keep running. While if you are running with W and right click you stop. Why?
    Because W is an active push, where the game knows your holding it down and auto run is passive, you push it once and you go off. If you go to that screen it no longer sees the W as being pushed in the other mode. And, it'd be stupid if W kept running, just saying. Just use auto run (I moved it to ` instead of num lock, easier).

If you have right click up or if you are looting F which is the same thing as right click, then changing weapons does not work via keyboard.
    Once again, you aren't in the combat mode at that point the keys don't go through to there. Just get used to the UI, it is perfectly fine. I've gotten used to it.

If you hit a hot key that is empty, it seems like it resets something and you sometimes have to hit the correct hot key twice. The only way to make sure you have hit the right key seems to be to check the icon at the bottom of the bar. A beep or something would be nice.
    No idea what you are talking about in this part, it sets the active key to the one you pushed, which could be blank?> But if you hit the correct one again, as long as you have the correct weapon out it should just work.

I really wish all of the active weapons had the same third party look. Look at the back of your head or seeing an animation that shows a failed equip would help greatly. We only get to see two handed from behind. So you know you can see the bow or 2h sword or the staff across you back on change. hmm will have to check the options to see if there a view change.
    The first person is so people can sneak up on you using crouch, the game is first person in shooting mode so you can't see everything around you since you are aiming at people at a distance. It is a design decision and a very good one from my point of view, the 3rd person on melee/horse back/resting is so you can pay attention around you since you are in close, so you can see where people are nearby you (Design decision).

How do you hot key sword and board? Do you have to put both sword and shield on different hot bar slots? What is the point of having a two click weapon switch?
    Can't put two things on one hot key yet (Promised in the next expansion or maybe an upcoming patch). You equip the sword, then the shield then pull it out.

The default bind for hotbar rotation is absolutely stupid. It is shift 1..n. Yet when you are trying to learn the game and you are sprinting shift and then try to change weapons, it messes up which bar you have chosen. The defaults make it unplayable given that sprint is one of the most important aspects of the game. Yeah I know I can change it but isn't the default supposed to be good setup and take the developers half a second in the INI file?
    I agree it is stupid, but since it can changed it is a very low severity/priority bug. They are working on bigger problems, not some small issue a player can fix in their options. I use the F# keys.

I've got to say the mouse is a secondary feature in this game. Windows programs in theory should be designed to run solely by keyboard or by mouse. Usually games have it the opposite issue where you can do almost nothing by keyboard. This one you can't do anything by mouse and is a fundamental flaw which probably could be fixed in a couple of days.
    What? The mouse is a secondary feature in this game? You use it for many things like aiming and shooting your various spells... or looking around.

And your comment on windows programs, I will mock you at this point. No one in their right mind designs programs one or the other. Both are required inputs usually unless it is just a button in the middle of the screen. Even then, if you want the program to be accessible you need to have it be available by mouse or keyboard. So every windows program "in theory" is designed for both. Please don't talk about these things unless you know what you are saying, I begin to think you are just another troll but you are keeping it up pretty well so I will continue to answer your questions in the hope that you are someone who wants to play.

Note the lack of mouse controls really becomes painful in loading arrows during combat. There is no way that I know of other than right click and pull them into your slot Obviously if you are prepping for battle you will have them equipped already but lets say if you are picking up as you go, you have to stop moving to load them unless you autorun.
    True, but you could just add them to a slot on your hotkeys and press it when you run out of arrows and I think it will load them into the slot (Not positive on this one).

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Piwizard View Post
    True, but you could just add them to a slot on your hotkeys and press it when you run out of arrows and I think it will load them into the slot (Not positive on this one).
    It does work but it's kind of silly the way it works. For example if you drag a stack of 2 arrows to your hotbar and have 200 equipped on your paperdoll already and click it it will move the 2 arrows to your paperdoll and de-equip the 200 arrows. That is one area of the UI that could use improvement, it should ADD it to them and not replace them. I do however have arrows on my hotbar so that I can equip any spare arrows in my inventory if I run out of equipped ones. I rarely use it though but it is extremely valuable in certain situations and has saved my ass a couple of times. Being as most players keep only 1 stack of arrows in their backpack and if you do run out of equipped arrows it is 1 click to equip that stack.

Anything to improve your efficiency at switching weapons/skills on the fly, combat healing or maneuvering in any way in combat is good, even a few milliseconds counts. You will change your binds up from time to time as you get access to more skills and spells and tweaking your binds often is a good thing, each time you try improving your efficiency and succeed it will help tap into your character's potential more. The best PvPers in the game also are some of the most efficient on their keyboards and with binds, it is not a coincidence.

-Andrew
    Last edited by Kimoshu; 04-09-2010 at 22:53.
    Kimoshu Grakenshalmn

Middleman Rep

Normal User US1 Player

Quote Originally Posted by Kimoshu View Post
    It does work but it's kind of silly the way it works. For example if you drag a stack of 2 arrows to your hotbar and have 200 equipped on your paperdoll already and click it it will move the 2 arrows to your paperdoll and de-equip the 200 arrows. That is one area of the UI that could use improvement, it should ADD it to them and not replace them. I do however have arrows on my hotbar so that I can equip any spare arrows in my inventory if I run out of equipped ones. I rarely use it though but it is extremely valuable in certain situations and has saved my ass a couple of times. Being as most players keep only 1 stack of arrows in their backpack and if you do run out of equipped arrows it is 1 click to equip that stack.

Anything to improve your efficiency at switching weapons/skills on the fly, combat healing or maneuvering in any way in combat is good, even a few milliseconds counts. You will change your binds up from time to time as you get access to more skills and spells and tweaking your binds often is a good thing, each time you try improving your efficiency and succeed it will help tap into your character's potential more. The best PvPers in the game also are some of the most efficient on their keyboards and with binds, it is not a coincidence.

-Andrew
    Yah I figured it would do that (since it does that when you don't drag it onto the paperdoll properly), it is a little annoying should just add onto the stack.

I agree there isnt much guidance and at first the game was quite confusing to me. It gets even worse when you try to figure out how to grind most efficiently.

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsSkeggi View Post
    I agree there isnt much guidance and at first the game was quite confusing to me. It gets even worse when you try to figure out how to grind most efficiently.
    Actually it's quite easy to figure out how to level effectively, the problem is most people never actually explore and sit on the same mob day in, day out. What you use to level up efficiently when you start a skill is not the same as what you use when you get higher up in it. Melee for example, start on a smaller mob and as your damage increases wear heavier armour and take on stronger mobs that hit weak in melee.

People grind for gold and then grind for skills, if you do the 2 together it's a lot more enjoyable and more efficient to do both at the same time but that's the issue, most players are very single minded and simply refuse to think outside of the small box of "grind". I've never ground any skills or stats and simply got what I have from playing and I do just fine.

-Andrew
    Kimoshu Grakenshalmn

Middleman Rep