Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast
    Normal User

Default 8 hour review and why I'll probably quit

So I was hoping for an MMO home but ended up completely frustrated with the game.

The game was quite confusing on log in even after reading several free guides. I equiped a sword and wandered around. 15 minutes before I found a beetle and it ran away from me. By chance I found a goblin camp but had no way to get to it as it was in a valley. 15 minutes more and I found a way to the camp. I'm fighting a goblin with my crappy sword. Okay I die. No worries. But I'm sitting there trying to figure out how to get back to the rez stone (later I find you can hit space bar at some point to get the death animatoin to clear). I lost the stuff because I didn't know I had an hour to get back to my body so I just logged and took a break. Not a big deal; real life comes first.

Log back in. AI is interesting. Goblins are jumbing around and strafing. This isn't wow AI. Cool stuff. At first I was put off by the fact I was just fighting goblins but actually they have quite different behaviors. I also seem to suck at it, so I decide I'm going to get better. I learn the area. I lean how to run. I learn the importance of stamina. Cool. Getting some complexity to the game even though killing Goblin Scouts and Warriors over and over. I make some money buy my mage staff. Learn how to self heal and shoot bolts. Cool stuff. Learn how to aim at feet. More practice on learning how to run. Log out real life.

Log in again. Kind of excited. Going to get lesser magic up. In a few hours I got it to 35. Died once more but figured out grave stone is blue. Got all my stuff. Did a few quests. Got some help from some helpful players to find quest givers. Getting better at knowing when to run. Getting used to switching weapons. Broke up the day by doing some gathering (logging and mining). Wow, that is boring. Bought some new spells, some passive, some active. All the new ones require reagents. That kind of sucks.

Then I start thinking about the terrible UI. No auto loot. No way to see if you have looted something. No loot all. No sell all. No double click to sell. No undo on sell. No auto run. Bugs in weapon switch (the buttons don't always work). Every time you loot you don't return back to combat mode. Every time you go back into combat mode it doesn't remember your last skill selection. No multiple skill bars with something nice like alt for different selection. This is your typical European crap UI that I've seen on so many games. I played Eve for more than a year, so I'll suffer through, hoping for something redeeming.

Now the highlight of the game on my next log in. I actually start getting good with my spells. I learn how to use a bow along with my 2h ax. I figure out how to use a combination of food and heals and alternate between spells and weapons to chain kill goblins. In a mater of few minutes I I've leveled lesser magic to 56 and filled up my bag completely with goblin loot. Fun times, chain killing with no down time. I'm liking this game.

Time to get greater magic. I go to the trainer in Bel Melek. No greater magic. Er....I re-read some guides. Nothing. I ask in game. I have to go to a city. WTF? What city? Well it so happens I picked a starter city an hour away from a trainer. Fine, that was really dumb. I decide to head to Khosgar. Litterally it is 30-40 minutes of real time to walk there. I swim most of the way because I hear it is good for training. Along the way I see a npc. I visit and pick up some quest. I keep swimming. Make some breakfast and come back.

I see another NPC merchant. I go to visit them and boom I start getting attacked. A tower kills me. Wait wasn't I flagged as a newbie for 24 hours? Why is my own tower killing me? WTF. It takes me out. I loose 800 gold, sends me back to my starter city 30 minutes away. (yeah I carried the gold because I didn't know if the banks were the same between the cities--still probably dumb on my part). I want to talk to a GM. Search help. No info on gms. I ask in Race what happened and they said players trick you to get rid of your newbie protection and turn you gray. I don't even remember seeing another player.

So no gms. Bugged game. 20-30% of my game time is spent wandering around. No real useful help in game. Nothing interesting between places. Too bad, seems like a raw UO with some interesting player skills.

Anyway still deciding. If I can get a gm to return my gold and get my noob flag back I may continue. Don't even know how to contact one though. Otherwise I think I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    So I was hoping for an MMO home but ended up completely frustrated with the game.

The game was quite confusing on log in even after reading several free guides. I equiped a sword and wandered around. 15 minutes before I found a beetle and it ran away from me. By chance I found a goblin camp but had no way to get to it as it was in a valley. 15 minutes more and I found a way to the camp. I'm fighting a goblin with my crappy sword. Okay I die. No worries. But I'm sitting there trying to figure out how to get back to the rez stone (later I find you can hit space bar at some point to get the death animatoin to clear). I lost the stuff because I didn't know I had an hour to get back to my body so I just logged and took a break. Not a big deal; real life comes first.

Log back in. AI is interesting. Goblins are jumbing around and strafing. This isn't wow AI. Cool stuff. At first I was put off by the fact I was just fighting goblins but actually they have quite different behaviors. I also seem to suck at it, so I decide I'm going to get better. I learn the area. I lean how to run. I learn the importance of stamina. Cool. Getting some complexity to the game even though killing Goblin Scouts and Warriors over and over. I make some money buy my mage staff. Learn how to self heal and shoot bolts. Cool stuff. Learn how to aim at feet. More practice on learning how to run. Log out real life.

Log in again. Kind of excited. Going to get lesser magic up. In a few hours I got it to 35. Died once more but figured out grave stone is blue. Got all my stuff. Did a few quests. Got some help from some helpful players to find quest givers. Getting better at knowing when to run. Getting used to switching weapons. Broke up the day by doing some gathering (logging and mining). Wow, that is boring. Bought some new spells, some passive, some active. All the new ones require reagents. That kind of sucks.

Then I start thinking about the terrible UI. No auto loot. No way to see if you have looted something. No loot all. No sell all. No double click to sell. No undo on sell. No auto run. Bugs in weapon switch (the buttons don't always work). Every time you loot you don't return back to combat mode. Every time you go back into combat mode it doesn't remember your last skill selection. No multiple skill bars with something nice like alt for different selection. This is your typical European crap UI that I've seen on so many games. I played Eve for more than a year, so I'll suffer through, hoping for something redeeming.

Now the highlight of the game on my next log in. I actually start getting good with my spells. I learn how to use a bow along with my 2h ax. I figure out how to use a combination of food and heals and alternate between spells and weapons to chain kill goblins. In a mater of few minutes I I've leveled lesser magic to 56 and filled up my bag completely with goblin loot. Fun times, chain killing with no down time. I'm liking this game.

Time to get greater magic. I go to the trainer in Bel Melek. No greater magic. Er....I re-read some guides. Nothing. I ask in game. I have to go to a city. WTF? What city? Well it so happens I picked a starter city an hour away from a trainer. Fine, that was really dumb. I decide to head to Khosgar. Litterally it is 30-40 minutes of real time to walk there. I swim most of the way because I hear it is good for training. Along the way I see a npc. I visit and pick up some quest. I keep swimming. Make some breakfast and come back.

I see another NPC merchant. I go to visit them and boom I start getting attacked. A tower kills me. Wait wasn't I flagged as a newbie for 24 hours? Why is my own tower killing me? WTF. It takes me out. I loose 800 gold, sends me back to my starter city 30 minutes away. (yeah I carried the gold because I didn't know if the banks were the same between the cities--still probably dumb on my part). I want to talk to a GM. Search help. No info on gms. I ask in Race what happened and they said players trick you to get rid of your newbie protection and turn you gray. I don't even remember seeing another player.

So no gms. Bugged game. 20-30% of my game time is spent wandering around. No real useful help in game. Nothing interesting between places. Too bad, seems like a raw UO with some interesting player skills.

Anyway still deciding. If I can get a gm to return my gold and get my noob flag back I may continue. Don't even know how to contact one though. Otherwise I think I'm out.
    auto run by default is numlock
    shift+numbers will change your different bars

most people prefer to put their weapons on a certain bar like shift+0, then go into the key bindings and rebind the stuff on page 0 to things like f, tab, ~, and others. the bug you refer to when switching weapons is probably because your trying to switch just slightly to quick. There is a rhythm you will find only to mess it up when your adrenalin kicks in for pvp.

If a zap tower killed you it was probably because you went to a city that wasnt friendly with your race. Player cities have zap towers also but they are much weaker.

while it may not seem like the most interesting path as a new player you need to join a clan like "new" or basically anyone that has voice communication and is willing to help you out. I killed goblins the first week I started playing and just as i was about to quit i joined a clan and the game opened up for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by type View Post
    SB UDL RK went after TSL because...They had a 30 man [siege] force and 25 holdings, they were killing the game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjU8R_VLIdE

Lol, by the sound of it you want some easymode MMO where everything is spoon fed to you.
    The game is great, but obviously you need more time to understand.
    There's plenty of guides on the web and Help Pages ingame.
    The best probably being : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDgGgunLhmA
    part 1-4.

Doesn't take a brain scientist to figure out how a game works.

/gm_help (No, you won't get your gold back because you acted stupid and didn't research/ask beforehand)
    /tell
    /help

etc.
    Last edited by AmonDominus; 04-08-2010 at 17:40.

Buy Darkfall thru my link & receive 20,000g + Gear to jumpstart your adventure!
    Don't forget to pm me afterwards!

Normal User

Also you lose newbie protection if you wander to far from the starter area.
    It does give you a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonDominus View Post
    Lol, by the sound of it you want some easymode MMO where everything is spoon fed to you.
    The game is great, but obviously you need more time to understand.
    There's plenty of guides on the web and Help Pages ingame.
    The best probably being : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDgGgunLhmA
    part 1-4.

Doesn't take a brain scientist to figure out how a game works.

/gm_help (No, you won't get your gold back because you acted stupid and didn't research/ask beforehand)
    /tell
    /help

etc.
    This, that series of videos is very well done and will help guide you through the first few days/weeks of DF life.

Normal User EU1 Player

false review spawned out of ignorance, no offence.
    pretty much what others above suggested, you are one of those that need to join a clan asap.

Normal User

I didn't read, you can't give a fair review of this game in only 8 hours.

Normal User

Mmmm i would suggest trying to visit your race capital for training, you cant get everything but the basics you have and its like a 10 min run not a 40min swim. Allso farm some steedweed and trade weed for mount 1 on 1. Or get tameing if you are rich.
    Enjoy the Chaos!!!

Rotahsi:
    " That destiny was to gather apostles dedicated to the clubbing of tiny Seal Cubs.
    Thus, The Seal Cub Clubbing Club was borne. "

Normal User

This is your typical European crap UI
    I lol'ed.
    Wonder, if US folk step into dog shit, say, in Paris - would they yell "omg, typical Europe!" ?

Normal User

nub

I never played with a nub shield and i played when it was 20x harder so cry more
    Last edited by Runny; 04-08-2010 at 18:00.
    [18:42:44] (Ginger Magician): one day ginger may catch up to justin

[14:08:42] (Sergey Savier): russian mafia make business here

Darkfall is not the kind of game where everything is just taught to you as you play. Learning the ins and outs of the game is part of the game.

Even later on it will take you time to figure out how to manage towers and alignment. Most of us died a few times by making mistakes (hitting someone as their grey status wears off, not realizing a spell has a splash and accidentally hitting someone else and so on).

Agon can be a brutal place, the first month helps ready you for it. If you are not thick-skinned and willing to persevere, it may not be for you. Hope you decide otherwise though.

Noobie protection was just added btw. 90% of the current population never had any kind of protection. I was PKed relentlessly in my first month. Maybe I am a sicko, but I loved the adrenaline rush of trying to escape lol.

DF1: Rathmar Lonewulf
    DFUW: Morrigan TNT

I'm sorry man but you're not "hardcore enough" for darkfall. I'm not being sarcastic or childish here.. I'm serious. Lead Darkfall developer said that Darkfall is not for everyone. You sound like "everyone" who just looking for the easy mode.

There is a reason why there is no Autoloot/Loot all or Auto .. whatever else you want it. This is a FULL LOOT PvP game. Having players loot one item at a time makes the looter vulnerable to attacks and make sure that all looters get at least something.
    Autorun/Autoswim is in ( Num Lock )

Killed by a tower ? Well you probably ran into the enemy city... player city possibly. Unfortunately I don't see a single point in your post that I can respond " Yeah, you're right" to.
    This is an MMO with no instanced zones! If you don't like big world and wondering around you might want to try out WAR or WOW instanced non stop pewpew in tight areas.

Like I said.. it simply doesn't sound like the game is for you... nothing wrong with that.
    Take time to learn the game instead of doing "8 hours review" if you decide to stick around. If you played other MMOs before you should know that 8 hours is bar far not enough to learn anything about it... hell, even 7 days trial is not enough to learn about Darkfall.
    How to be Ray Pew[NA1]

My Videos Older vids

Quote Originally Posted by Tasos View Post
    drinking gets in the way of my lifting

More notes.

Every starter town has a trainer. The next starter town and/or shouldn't be more than a 5-10 minute run on foot as a newb. Try the online maps such as dfatlas.com or yourmom's map (don't know the URL.
    "I May be dumb, but I'm not stupid!"
    - The Village Idiot

Normal User

lol, by the sound of it you want some easymode MMO where everything is spoon fed to you
    I watched those videos before picking up the game. It has nothing to do with that. You'd think the developers would read forums but perhaps not. I looked over the patch notes and they don't seem be doing that much work on the game.

BTW, I did not see the warning while I exited the area. The tower was the same race, so no indication of hostility.

auto run by default is numlock
    Actually it is auto walk, not auto run.

shift+numbers will change your different bars
    Yep but the it just adds another pointless click rather than alt skill... a small thing but still annoying.

while it may not seem like the most interesting path as a new player you need to join a clan like "new" or basically anyone that has voice communication and is willing to help you out. I killed goblins the first week I started playing and just as i was about to quit i joined a clan and the game opened up for me.
    Thanks. Maybe.... walking across the map for an hour seems quite pointless. Even then I'm unsure if it has the magic trainer I need. It almost seems like I'll need to find all the rez stones between to get their safely yet I don't have a clue as how to find the next rez stone.

Normal User

Seems like youre giving up too fast here. UI isnt the best, but you will adapt fast as most players do. All races have about 6 NPC 'cities' of their own race who is friendly. If you went to Koshgar(Alfar city) you mustve been human/mirdain to have used that much time reaching there as all the Capitals of the same race resides 5-8 mins within starter city areas.

I would recommend you to continue doing quests and join the clan NEW for getting a good basic grip on the game. They help on quests, give you basic gear, teach surroundings and more.

What you lost from dying of a tower will never be given back as its your own fault of going to a enemy city. (which i assume you did)

Watch the video's recomended and just enjoy the game for what it is.