Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    2000+

Default Legalizing Prostitution

Well, I've been thinking recently, and I thought "why is prostitution illegal?".

Prostitution is one of the oldest professions in history, literally, it is one of the first services ever offered and payed for. It has always, and will always exist. So, why is it illegal? And obvious answer is morality: people think that prostitutes are "loose women", and in an attempt to rid themselves of such morally bankrupt women, make the act illegal. The second argument is that prostitutes are no better than slaves, or at least work to decrease the status of women.

However, prostitution laws in America have worked to make the status of women, and prostitutes, even worse. Prostitution is a reviled act, and women who are prostitutes are second class citizens, and are treated as criminals. Any woman who does anything resembling a prostitute, even as far as having a ton of sex, is labeled a prostitute. Prostitution has made female sexuality a negative thing, and has made those who use it to make money criminals.

Further, women who are prostitutes while it is illegal are subject to something much worse than social stigmata: male abuse. From their pimps who can abuse them for not turning enough profit, to their clients who can abuse them to no real consequence, prostitutes are beaten in almost every aspect of the business. And the problem is, they have no legal rights with this regard, as they are prosecuted worse than the clients who pay them, and they are far more likely to get caught than the pimps who control them.

The prevalence of STDs and hard drug abuse is also incredibly high with prostitutes, being as their working environment is conducive to both. Female prostitutes often do not have the ability to get treatment for their STDs, be it because of health care, or because of social stigma.

Because of this, I propose prostitution be legalized nation-wide in the US. The creation of Brothels and Unions would assure that these women become more akin to respectable business women than common whores. It also assures that these women cannot be beaten senselessly, as they would now have legal rights and a more public place to conduct their business. Unionization would also allow them to receive treatment for STDs, and any sort of drug testing would bring down the incidence of drug abuse. Finally, these women would have a taxable income.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangia View Post
    Well, I've been thinking recently, and I thought "why is prostitution illegal?".
    Like most things, because its "immoral"
    Turning Villages into Regional sources of Conflict and PvP hot Spots
    Xpiher's DF:UW Suggestion Thread

Thanks AV for fixing safe zones. It seems like the danger levels you talked about before beta were enough! Now FIX VILLAGES!

5000+

its simply common sense that women who have a lot of sex are loose women. are you a streetwalker?

you are writing from an incredibly biased female point of view. i can only imagine you're an annoying college kid, or a shaved-head female rights activist.

men who have a lot of sex are loose men. they are viewed just as negatively as their female counterparts. have you ever wondered why quality women with good personalities, social standing and personal lives are very selective in the men they date?

it is because promiscuous men are just as untrustworthy as promiscuous women.

by the way, it is legal in nevada. all the smart prostitutes in the entire country go there.
    Originally Posted by Daggermaniac
    The only DF player that I have expected of Aim Botting is Zato Ichi.

What they need is a union, and I unquote.
    Last edited by generic_user; 03-24-2010 at 23:41.

Finally, these women would have a taxable income.
    This is the only point that would be relevant to a legislative change.

Normal User

It is only allowed in certain counties, if I recall correctly, the counties have to have a population under 500k.

The most prominent county to not have legal prostitution is Clark County, which is where LasVegas is located.

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by vaatc View Post
    It is only allowed in certain counties, if I recall correctly, the counties have to have a population under 500k.

The most prominent county to not have legal prostitution is Clark County, which is where LasVegas is located.
    most people drive further to get back home than they do to fuck a whore in nevada.

Normal User

Most definitely. The point was for those that did not know the facts, that they could very easily get busted for solicitation, if they are not careful.

4000+ EU1 Player

Finally, these women would have a taxable income.
    Oh fuck off, it's not about how society can best exploit them but if they should be at all in the business of telling people what to do as long as they don't hurt anyone else.

19,000+

Quote Originally Posted by zato`1 View Post

it is because promiscuous men are just as untrustworthy as promiscuous women.
    People are not untrustworthy just because they sleep around. If you're not in a relationship then there's really no reason not to have sex with randoms.

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by Viluin View Post
    People are not untrustworthy just because they sleep around. If you're not in a relationship then there's really no reason not to have sex with randoms.
    promiscuity is very different than being single

19,000+

Quote Originally Posted by zato`1 View Post
    promiscuity is very different than being single
    "easy: casual and unrestrained in sexual behavior; "her easy virtue"; "he was told to avoid loose (or light) women"; "wanton behavior""

I see nothing about relationships.

Banned

Age old Carlin joke

"Another women’s issue, prostitution. I do not understand why prostitution is illegal. Why should prostitution be illegal. Selling is legal. Fucking is legal. Why isn’t selling fucking legal? You know, why should it be illegal to sell something that’s perfectly legal to give away. I can’t follow the logic on that at all. Of all the things you can do to a person, giving someone an orgasm is hardly the worst thing in the world."
    Last edited by Villageninja; 03-25-2010 at 01:37.

5000+

I don't think it should be legal, because I don't want to see street walkers all over the place, but decriminalized and left alone if done in certain areas and abide by laws then yeah I think it would be better. But really it should be up to the state/counties to decide...
    Frumpy Lump's rage
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    He said consumers make jobs appear. Let him explain how that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    I've done shit you probably would faint from even thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    At least I get to fuck.
    http://www.twitch.tv/makestro

8000+

There's a lot of things out there that should be legalized but aren't. Welcome to the ass-backward practice of legislating morality.

[22:44] <Claus|Dev> teth, its enough to know I am in your thoughts

[22:44] <Claus|Dev> kiss!