Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    8000+

Default Dentistry options?

So I have a pretty damn good looking face, just the way it is. But I have this one imperfection which is my teeth, they are a bit overcrowded on the bottom row. The only problem I really have with it is my front 2 teeth are not level, one is about a cm higher than the other. I've decided to do something about it but being in college I don't feel like dishing out 5k and a year of my life to kill my social/romantic life with braces.

So I've come up with the incredibly great idea of getting a dentist to file down my tooth to make it level, the overcrowding will still be an issue but since its not noticeable I don't mind it. I think it would be doable because they wouldn't have to file down past the enamel to level it off, at least I don't think they would. I was thinking I would try to have my college do it and use me as a practice model because I figure it'd be cheaper that way. I still have to look into how to do that and when it could be done, but has anyone else here ever done something like this? Or should I just go and pay how ever much for a real dentist to do it?
    Last edited by Apex Vertigo; 03-21-2010 at 01:56.

You're in college and don't know how big a centimeter is?

Quote Originally Posted by Reigngod View Post
    Deductive reasoning has noing to do with logic. In fact deductive reasoning is illogical. Go define logic and come back to the discussion an educated man.

Blood of Kings Leader
    13,000+

Go to a dentist, it won't cost much to file a tooth a bit. If one is taller than the other that's really all they can do anyway. Braces will straighten them, not shorten them.

My front bottom teeth were a little to tall, which caused my front upper teeth to be a bit crooked. When I had work done to fix that, they filled the bottom teeth so the cause of the problem would be gone and not repeat itself. They didn't charge much at all for that part of things. (Though I can't remember what the bill was for that specifically.)

They are a bit sensitive to temp after its done, but that doesn't last more than a month or so.

Your full tooth is probably about a centimeter total though, its probably closer to a millimeter difference heh.
    Last edited by Jangang; 03-21-2010 at 02:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Vertigo View Post
    one is about a cm higher than the other.
    Humm... riiight...

Just going to throw this out there - but your teeth are kind of one of a kind. Don't go there telling him what to do, find a good reputable dentist and ask him what needs to be done.

Chances are you have overcrowding which means you need a tooth or two pulled to make space. You can probably get a small invisiline brace for the bottom row of teeth so nobody will call you train tracks.

Get your shit checked by a pro, then see what you want to do. Are your parents in a position to help you with this? But seriously, just going in there and filing down your tooth could lead to sensitivity to cold if they get it down too close to your root, etc..

Get a pro involved and weigh out your options. you only have one grill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevron View Post
    I play Halo and I'm autistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema View Post
    you only have one grill.
    And your barbecue only has two wheels.

I'd hazard a guess that it's wisdom teeth causing the overcrowding.

1000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Vertigo View Post
    So I have a pretty damn good looking face, But my front 2 teeth are not level, one is about a cm higher than the other.
    That's not a good looking face, that's Goofy

6000+ Long term follower

You could see if it could be done via retainer, so you only have to wear it when you sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Falokis View Post
    You could see if it could be done via retainer, so you only have to wear it when you sleep.
    You obviously don't know much about retainers if you think you only have to wear them while you sleep. Sometimes you have to wear them during the day, and take them out whenever you have to eat; if that's the case, don't fucking do it, because you cannot clean the smell off of those things or their containers. Especially not their containers! After a week of wearing it, opening the container in a public area is likely to make everybody within shouting distance start turning green and purple in 20 seconds. I'd hate to know how horrible those things smell if you didn't clean them every night.
    Last edited by Rossco; 03-21-2010 at 07:02.

Normal User

I would advise against this. When you file down a tooth like that you destroy the enamel ruining the defensive properties of the tooth. Of course they will still cap the tooth in an attempt to seal it back up, but you can have some great problems down the road if they seal leaks by even the smallest amount. Because then you develop a cavity which grows under the cap. This can lead to the whole tooth dying and needing a root canal.

6000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    You obviously don't know much about retainers if you think you only have to wear them while you sleep. Sometimes you have to wear them during the day, and take them out whenever you have to eat; if that's the case, don't fucking do it, because you cannot clean the smell off of those things or their containers. Especially not their containers! After a week of wearing it, opening the container in a public area is likely to make everybody within shouting distance start turning green and purple in 20 seconds. I'd hate to know how horrible those things smell if you didn't clean them every night.
    LOL. Sounds like you speak from experience. Please, don't breathe on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Falokis View Post
    LOL. Sounds like you speak from experience. Please, don't breathe on me.
    I lasted 2 weeks and then I smashed that motherfucker. Turns out I only needed it for cosmetic reasons, though, so I just ignored my dentists suggestion to buy an expensive replacement.

14,000+

My buddy just finished dental school. His school had students doing work on local people for about half the price of going to an actual dentist. If you have a medical university nearby, you could check into that.

Tea-Bagging since 1995

Quote Originally Posted by Ches View Post
    Im voteing Obama
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc
    God damn newbie trolls...try harder next time.

8000+

Quote Originally Posted by PirateGlen View Post
    You're in college and don't know how big a centimeter is?
    EDIT: Oh damn, sorry meant a mm -.-. Lol, honest mistake didn't mean to put cm.
    Last edited by Apex Vertigo; 03-21-2010 at 09:11.