Default Advice - computer specs

I am running a GeForce 9800GTX+, AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual core processor 5000+, 2gb DDR2 Ram.

I get the good ol visual lag spikes and like 4fps in an intensive seige.

I am thinking of upgrading my Video card to the Sapphire HD5870 - will this be enough to boost my fps to a smooth state or is my CPU/Ram count not enough also?

Any help would be great - dont wanna go buy something that wont help. Pretty sure my problem is my video card tho.

5870 is more than enough. Your biggest problem will be RAM. You need to get at least 4 GB...c'mon, it's 2010 man. Your 2nd problem is CPU, it's kind of outdated, should have at least dual core phenom if you are not going to switch to Intel.

Also, I'm gonna take a wild guess that you are using 32-bit Windows XP. Upgrade to 64-bit Win 7, or 64-bit Vista at the very least.

P.S. My card is worse than yours, 8800 GT, but I still get 20-40 FPS in sieges.
    Last edited by Melkorus; 03-13-2010 at 06:55.

Normal User

Yup. its all about the CPU. I just upgraded to a Intel 3.06 Ghtz quad core and DF runs like a dream. I kept my 9800 gtx+ because its still a pretty viable card and upgraded to 6 gigs of ram from 3. I also switched to windows 7 64 bit. 64 bit is necessary, even win xp would be fine, but you need a 64 bit OS so that you can use more than 3 gigs of ram. Darkfall is a ram hog.

Quote Originally Posted by RedrumsSam View Post
    Yup. its all about the CPU. I just upgraded to a Intel 3.06 Ghtz quad core and DF runs like a dream. I kept my 9800 gtx+ because its still a pretty viable card and upgraded to 6 gigs of ram from 3. I also switched to windows 7 64 bit. 64 bit is necessary, even win xp would be fine, but you need a 64 bit OS so that you can use more than 3 gigs of ram. Darkfall is a ram hog.
    Windows XP 32-bit uses 4 GB, but your GPU RAM counts towards it. I believe in his case he could make use of 3.5 GB and that's enough for DF if he doesn't run anything else in the background in sieges. (Normal gameplay on max settings takes about 1.4 GB of RAM).

But yes, the CPU is probably the most important component in DF performance, unless your graphics card is horrible, which it isn't.

Yummy.

i would also recommend keep your video card its good, more than enough for darkfall afaik, maybe upgrade to 4gb ram and overclock your cpu, or upgrade your cpu, anything else would be a waste i would say.

dont invest too much money into the old system i would say better save up for a completely new rig in half a year or year or so.
    ANG ANG ANG

Normal User

I think that this game is more CPU-intensive than GPU-intensive in the larger battles. I just upgraded my system, and I find that general gameplay and large battles are two whole different beasts. My general fps didn't improve much (more on this later) which I take to mean that DFO doesn't like my new video card much more than it liked the old one... but the fps is now much more stable regardless of how much action is going on around me (I take it to mean that the CPU was the bottleneck in the case of large battles... if not, why would performance have improved much more under stress conditions than under normal gameplay conditions?)

Also, I would recommend against trading your nvidia GPU for an ATI if you play Darkfall a lot, and particularly if you want to play with shadows turned on. I just traded my 9600GT for a HD5850 and there are two issues that bother me (talking about general gameplay here, not large battles aymore - again, I think the CPU was the main issue in the larger battles):
    1) You get no anti-aliasing (as opposed to nvidia which just needs the nhancer setting).
    2) ATI seems to take a much worse hit from shadows than nvidia did. I used to get about 60fps with shadows off and 30-40 with shadows on... now I get 110+ with shadows off and 50-60 with shadows on. Heh.

I would say that your processor is the weak link in your system as far as DFO is concerned. Unless you play at resolutions higher than 1920x1050, the 9800GTX+ should do perfectly fine.

Short version:
    For image quality in general gameplay conditions, stick with nvidia.
    For performance under stress conditions, upgrade your CPU, IMHO.
    Last edited by Zaga; 03-13-2010 at 12:53.

1000+

The 9800 gtx is more than enough already DF isn't really that GPU intense it's a lot more CPU intense so I would prolly get more ram and a better CPU.

2000+

I have the same processor, 4GB Ram, and an ATI 4870. I run at 20-30 FPS in sieges with 100+ people, which is more then playable.

I highly recommend upgrading your RAM first, as that is the cheapest, and likely most effective upgrade. Next upgrade your video card, as that will likely have the most impact on your performance. And finally, upgrade your processor, as both you and I know it is getting outdated.

Do them in that order in my opinion. It does not all need to be done at once, but get them all done eventually, and in that order. Also, check websites such as;

http://www.tigerdirect.com
    http://www.newegg.com

As well as your local BestBuy, Frys, Circuit City, etc. If you spend a month looking for good deals on all of the above at all of the above places you will find some amazing deals. Good luck!

5000+

I have a

Phenom 2 X4 945
    GTX 260
    8GB 800MHz RAM

I have a gazzillion fps on everything maxed, 1980x1050

I'm thinking of buying new ram, like 6gb but super fast. also a new graphics card. mine's from middle of 2008
    Last edited by Makgyver; 03-13-2010 at 21:18.

1000+ Long term follower

By 2 more gigs of ram if your motherboard supports it.

And plan on buying a new video card.

Quote Originally Posted by Makgyver View Post
    I have a

Phenom 2 X4 945
    GTX 260
    8GB 800MHz RAM

I have a gazzillion fps on everything maxed, 1980x1050

I'm thinking of buying new ram, like 6gb but super fast. also a new graphics card. mine's from middle of 2008
    A new card past a GTX 260 will run you at least 200+ USD. It's not really worth it imo.

Yummy.